Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering kicking  (Read 1227 times)

05omegav6

Steering kicking
« on: 16 April 2012, 21:27:32 »

As above. The steering kicks randomly. Is worst when braking into a right hand bend at speed and the suspension is loaded up, but also does it after going over bumps and shimmies when you lift off the brakes. :'(

There is no obvious play in the rear bushes/ball joints, fronts are poly bushed. Only issue at mot 4 weeks ago was off side outer track rod end which was replaced then. The rear bushes don't look too clever, the rubber around the top of both bushes is split but there's no real play in them.

The car has had a full geometry set up last Thursday, and I've drained the power steering reservoir and refilled with fresh fluid with no real difference :-\

The arms have done about 35k.

Apologies to KCL for the thread hijack ::)

tgm147

• Intermediate Member
  • Wirral
    • '02 2.2 Omega CD
    • View Profile
Re: Steering kicking
« Reply #1 on: 16 April 2012, 21:30:35 »

Get the geometry checked again. Mine was set bang on and after a drive round the block was miles out again and the car was wandering about everywhere. The steering idler was knackered. Changed that, tracked it and it's been bang on since.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2012, 21:42:10 »

Still spot on :-\ car drives true, it almost feels like something is sticking. If it had a damper on the tie rod I'd be looking there :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2012, 22:01:32 »

Kicking...? So to clarify... Does it load up resistance/stiffness as you turn the steering wheel, then it suddenly frees up possibly freed by a bump, or turning the wheel further.

How's braking in a straight line?

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2012, 22:21:28 »

Kicking...? So to clarify... Does it load up resistance/stiffness as you turn the steering wheel, then it suddenly frees up possibly freed by a bump, or turning the wheel further.

Exactly that :-\
How's braking in a straight line?

Interesting :o

feeutfo

« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2012, 22:30:58 »

Define interesting Al. Ffs I'm not psychic. ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2012, 22:48:49 »

::) The actual braking is generally fine, the fun starts as you come off the brakes.  It squirms and kicks. A bit like bumpsteer I guess  :-\ if you go over a slight bump you'll feel the bump then the steering kicks.

feeutfo

« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2012, 23:02:12 »

Seems to revolve around rear wb bush. Wheel/stub axle position related. If the wheel position moves as a result of control arm(wishbone) play, (not wheel baring or track rod play) that means the stub axle is moving. As the steering is connected to the stub axle, obviously, the kick your feeling through the steering will almost certainly be rear bush related due to the position of the rear bush pivot point. If that pivot point moves in or outboard, then the steering link rods would have to mirror that movement for the steering wheel position to stay the same. That's not possible, so the steering wheel moves. Odly.

Is there any grating or folding feeling from the front tyres when manoeuvring on full lock?

Anyway. As you say the rear bushes are split already that confirms it IMO. Loose wishbone bolts have a similar effect.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2012, 23:37:18 »

Parking etc no issues :-\ perhaps the odd squeak from the springs/top mounts

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2012, 11:58:22 »

Had to stop work last night as the car has gone from being unpredictable to almost uncontrollable >:( not to mention killing another set of tyres in a week FFS >:(

Was going to order some half decent arms during the week to fit on Friday ::) but had to make do with local factors and guess what only stock, king first line ::) so will strip rear bush and ball joint from dead ones and source GM parts to replace so that I'm ready for when these new ones fail in a month or so :-\ which they will >:(

Shall report back...

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2012, 12:10:55 »

Get to WIM - my mate's old car was eating rear tyres and they were the first of 3 garages to correctly diagnose the fault, rather than just redoing the tracking.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

ndmv6

• huddersfield
    • 2001 2.2 auto cd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2012, 13:25:58 »

had this on mine when the tyres were just past half worn... :)...jumped about all over the place...

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2012, 17:09:48 »

Set up to WIMs specs on 12th april, tyres brand new on 13th april. ::) new arms fitted and now drives ok...

Rear bushes on old arms were floppy but quiet :-\ ta Chris :y ball joints seem ok and polys unworn :y

Will source genuine ball joints and rear bushes then those arms WILL go back on, because....

The new ones will be oppsed in a couple of weeks because some oppsing idiot (that's not what I typed ::) ) had set the front bushes about 15 degrees out. Didn't swap the polys over due to time and wanting to leave them on tother arms for when they get overhauled :-\

Why oh why does this shit always happen on a Saturday afternoon >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 21 queries.