Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Autonomous cars  (Read 5130 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Autonomous cars
« Reply #30 on: 10 February 2020, 22:08:20 »

Money is the explanation. And the only reason we all go to work whether its around the corner or 100 miles away.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 February 2020, 05:19:25 »

I was about to say 'because we can', but the financial incentive carries some weight, especially if Lundun is involved. That said, moving can outweigh the cost of commuting.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2020, 07:42:17 »

When I say signal I mean over the ether via this 5g.  Something along the lines of “ I see you are waiting to come out. OK I will decrease speed to allow a big enough event window, GO” at thesame time it would advise following vehicles so they didnt all panic brake .  It would work pretty well if there were no bugs in the software!

The Highway code would need  rewriting anyway to suit the bulk of vehicles being autonomous.

Its already happening, V2X, 5G ish which is based around comms to other cars and infrastructure, likely to be a requirement in some countries as of 2024.

As for autonomous, its still some way off, proving to be a lot harder then people expected, look for level 3 first (lots of 2 about already)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 February 2020, 08:07:42 »

how does that explain living in one town and driving to, and from, another town 50miles away? ....

Cos factories close as big companies buy similar firms & close down some to save money (& pocket pension funds) .... so workers find similar jobs elsewhere & commute to them (like Tebbit told us to years ago) which is why I now drive 25 miles each way to work rather than the couple of miles I used to do

ballcock50

• South Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 23 February 2020, 09:48:03 »

An interesting topic. Personally I welcome the advancement in autonomous vehicles. We already have plenty of inolvement from technology in most modern vehicles. Don't get me wrong I love driving but as the cause of most accidents are the drivers, take them out of the equation. Autonomous cars would stick to the speed limits, use the correct lane around roundabouts assess the stopping distances correctly, be able to accelerate into a gap more accurately, know their width through a gap, will not be distracted by children in the back seat, etc.etc. As for taxi drivers most of them should have their licences revoked. Admittedly software can be hacked but a terrorist could hijack a fuel truck easier.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 23 February 2020, 09:55:53 »

An interesting topic. Personally I welcome the advancement in autonomous vehicles. We already have plenty of inolvement from technology in most modern vehicles. Don't get me wrong I love driving but as the cause of most accidents are the drivers, take them out of the equation. Autonomous cars would stick to the speed limits, use the correct lane around roundabouts assess the stopping distances correctly, be able to accelerate into a gap more accurately, know their width through a gap, will not be distracted by children in the back seat, etc.etc. As for taxi drivers most of them should have their licences revoked. Admittedly software can be hacked but a terrorist could hijack a fuel truck easier.

ermm... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/02/19/self-driving-tesla-tricked-speeding-using-terrifying-hack/

Drivers are far from perfect (and getting worse since we've been issuing licences to snowflakes) but I think there's a way to go yet!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 February 2020, 21:25:26 »

I wouldn't worry so much about terrorists hacking the system to use them as a weapon more the spotty "yoofs" sitting in the bedrooms hacking them and playing Grand Theft Auto[other games are available] for real.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 February 2020, 10:52:46 »

Effective, reliable autonomous cars would remove the need for speed limits.

aaronjb

« Reply #38 on: 24 February 2020, 11:12:01 »

And traffic lights, and any other controls imposed on humans.

They're also going to need to have no windows, or we'll all be having heart attacks at every junction when nobody slows down and everyone passes within inches, e.g. https://youtu.be/UVQ8bGvLkCA?t=56

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 February 2020, 11:24:54 »

They're also going to need to have no windows, or we'll all be having heart attacks at every junction when nobody slows down and everyone passes within inches, e.g. https://youtu.be/UVQ8bGvLkCA?t=56

all of which makes them an All Or Nothing proposition.
I don't expect to live long enough to see it.

STEMO

« Reply #40 on: 24 February 2020, 11:27:38 »

That's right, Nick. We can't have a mix of autonomous and human drivers on the road at the same time because the rules would be different for both.

aaronjb

« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2020, 12:23:40 »

I absolutely agree with you - both on general principles and as someone whose worked in IT for far longer than I care to remember. Computers are only any good at dealing with other computers, humans in the mix always causes problems.

Of course computers also tend to be programmed by humans. That also causes problems ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.