Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5 V6 engine Mods  (Read 2925 times)

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
2.5 V6 engine Mods
« on: 27 July 2006, 09:38:41 »

Never really been into engine mods - always thought it a bit chav, that was until the other week when after fitting a timing belt for a guy with a Vectra ST V6 - he let me have a go. the car was modified but what a drive.

Got a text off Finlays mate off the other site (irmscher Kris) wanted to sell some 3.0L cams - I had to take them out of the engine but for £70 for all four thought it must be a bargain.

As I was off this week I decided to put them in - well worth it - then fitted a 3.8 bar fuel regulator off a 2.6 V6 £10.54 plus vat (cost price) - the car is a now unbelievable - you feel it force you back into the seat, between 3- 4k its like a turbo kicking in ;D

Next one is a lightened flywheel - not paying the courtney price of £240 - just happen to have a spare one  and a brother who is a machinist - sure he can loose a good few KG's off that.

One mod this guy had us fit was a so called lightened crank pulley- a courtney rip off nice and bling no  torsional rubber fitted £189 and not much lighter than the original cast one.
If you want to fit a lighter one - go for the Vectra C / later Omega V6 one these are made from pressed steel and are much lighter than the original - not much heavier than the power steering pulley, and have the rubbber torsional damper part fitted, at at around £33 plus vat a cheaper option (cost price).

« Last Edit: 27 July 2006, 09:39:18 by v6man54deg »
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 V6 engine Mods
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2006, 09:54:51 »

Well the cams are a well know mod....

Clearly changing the flywheel will require a new clutch setup on the omega due to the use of a dual mass unit.

Good info, well worth putting into a Maintenace guide I think.

M-Tek Performance

• Intermediate Member
  • Hull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2006, 10:05:48 »

We can supply you a chip that should complement your mods nicely ;)

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2006, 10:55:50 »

How do the cams affect idling and economy?

Sir_Mixalot

« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2006, 16:58:14 »

Anyone? And how easy are they to change (have done rocker gaskets before...)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2006, 12:55:39 »

My Mk2 cav has a 2.5 in it with 3.0 cams, 4 bar pressure reg, a 2.0XE flywheel, pipercross viper induction kit (the old airfilter wouldn't fit in the Mk2) stainless exhaust, decat and a chip, last time it was rolling roded it was putting out 210BHP which was phenominal...
i can't remember the torque figure, but from about 1750rpm upwards it is mindblowing, there is little need to drop it down a cog, just let it build the revs up, and with the lightened flywheel it spins up a lot faster...

i was considering doing some of the mode to the elite but am still unsure

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2006, 21:19:16 »

3.0 cams do not affect the idle....long winded job to fit (cam belt and cam covers have to come off), not hard, juts takes a while.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2006, 09:07:42 »

3.0 cams do not affect the idle....long winded job to fit (cam belt and cam covers have to come off), not hard, juts takes a while.

Disclaimer!

Marks definition of "not hard" and "a while" is not to be taken literally!
He is an expert, and on occasion fogets the rest of us are not quite as adept with the spanners!  ::)

Yes it is doable, but set aside quite a few hours.... and get hold of Marks mobile number! ;)
The Administrator.

infinity1

• sunny south east
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2006, 20:07:58 »

Disclaimer!

Marks definition of "not hard" and "a while" is not to be taken literally!
He is an expert, and on occasion fogets the rest of us are not quite as adept with the spanners!  ::)

Yes it is doable, but set aside quite a few hours.... and get hold of Marks mobile number! ;)

ahhh but would he charge a call out fee?????
fancy a weekend down  south mark ????? bed and board all paid for...just bring your spanners........
mechanics? not me at all mate...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.