Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Start/stop  (Read 4133 times)

STEMO

Start/stop
« on: 21 January 2019, 12:42:11 »

I have an astra 2.0 diesel auto elite in blue. A dog walking acquaintance has an astra 2.0 diesel manual SE in blue. The cars look almost identical. Yet a battery for mine is around £80, and a battery for his is around £350. He reckons, in his two years of ownership, the fickin thing has never 'stopped' once. Go figure.

aaronjb

Re: Start/stop
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2019, 13:23:16 »

I'm sure the battery for my Skoda would be similarly eye watering. Stop/start stops all the time, though - every junction, as soon as the engine is remotely warm.

It's quite easy to drive around it if you want to, though - brake gently when coming to a stop (such that the car only just stops moving) and the stop/start won't engage allowing for a quick resumption; brake more heavily and it will.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2019, 13:28:24 »

I always switch it off on the Tata.

Saves sweet f*uck all in petrol anyway.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2019, 13:45:48 »

So if you follow Lord Opti's example and turn it off or pull the fuse, could you get away with the £80 battery?  :-\  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2019, 14:06:54 »

£350 sounds like a full fat dealer price even for an AGM battery. I would have thought a Varta or Bosch equivalent is about half that.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2019, 14:48:08 »

So if you follow Lord Opti's example and turn it off or pull the fuse, could you get away with the £80 battery?  :-\  ???

But STMO is very environmentally aware. :)

Every time dirty derv fumes stop belching from the exhaust a black baby in Africa and a polar bear get to live.

He's that type of guy. One who likes to help. :)

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2019, 14:48:42 »

£350 sounds like a full fat dealer price even for an AGM battery. I would have thought a Varta or Bosch equivalent is about half that.
ECP reckon this is about £70 discount:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Astra_2.0_2014/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444779038&1&7a243c6b196012a69ad12bb967d773fd496d4b1d&000020

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 January 2019, 14:52:33 »

ECP reckon this is about £70 discount:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vauxhall_Astra_2.0_2014/p/car-parts/car-electrics-and-car-lighting/electrical/car-battery/?444779038&1&7a243c6b196012a69ad12bb967d773fd496d4b1d&000020

Silly money for a battery. :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 January 2019, 15:27:50 »

Presumably if you fit a standard battery, it will just not stop, like STEMO's buddy's. :-\

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 January 2019, 15:29:40 »

240 euros for my Golf 2.0 . Had it changed under warranty when we bought ours.

My dad was quoted £245 for his 7 month old Fiesta. He loved the “facility” until it went haywire. Pretty poor that a car cannot cope with short journeys and using heated wheel and seats.

I think it is a daft gimmick. Driving in cold weather in the dark, stands to reason that on top of the restart load, that the battery is going to take a pasting from ancilliaries. Thank goodness for an overide switch.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 21 January 2019, 15:31:16 »

Presumably if you fit a standard battery, it will just not stop, like STEMO's buddy's. :-\

Either that or it'll stop and never start again ;D IIRC AGM batteries are much more forgiving of deep discharge compared to lead acid, but also entirely intolerant of over-charging, so (on modern cars with variable voltage charging systems), charged much more conservatively.. I'm guessing you'd either have a car that wouldn't stop (because the battery wouldn't be charged quickly enough) or would stop and not start again (because it expects a battery that can provide cranking amps even when discharged beyond the point a lead acid battery can support)..

Someone give it a try?

Someone other than me, that is ;D

Varche - you don't need the override switch .. if the drain is high enough or charge falls low enough it restarts automatically.. it'd be a daft system if it just flattened the battery and left you stranded at a set of lights! ;D ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 January 2019, 15:41:22 »

Either that or it'll stop and never start again ;D IIRC AGM batteries are much more forgiving of deep discharge compared to lead acid, but also entirely intolerant of over-charging, so (on modern cars with variable voltage charging systems), charged much more conservatively.. I'm guessing you'd either have a car that wouldn't stop (because the battery wouldn't be charged quickly enough) or would stop and not start again (because it expects a battery that can provide cranking amps even when discharged beyond the point a lead acid battery can support)..

Someone give it a try?

Someone other than me, that is ;D

Varche - you don't need the override switch .. if the drain is high enough or charge falls low enough it restarts automatically.. it'd be a daft system if it just flattened the battery and left you stranded at a set of lights! ;D ;D

No what I meant was I just switch the gadget off when I set off on a journey with the provided overide button. The lack of charging that happens on a stop start journey must be detrimental to the life of a battery compared to leaving car ticking over with stop start overide . Maybe I am wrong and they last four years regardless of how you use/abuse them? Where is Fuse19 when you need him!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 January 2019, 17:09:13 »

Stop/Start tech is the work of the devil, purely to do nothing but make the environment even worse, by only allowing 2 cars through every set of lights on roundabouts, and the lights are now needed as the gaps aren't big enough for the mongs to think about moving, wait for it to start, and then pull off as slowly as possible.

Firkin idiots, the lot of 'em
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 January 2019, 17:20:56 »

I am guessing you are not a fan!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 January 2019, 17:25:42 »

The Mondeo starts quicker than I can lift completely off the brake. I'm very impressed, particularly having read previous criticism on here. :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.