Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headlights  (Read 5759 times)

rollacorolla

Headlights
« on: 24 January 2015, 18:45:09 »

Hi all,
The headlights on my Elite W reg estate are really crap - can't see a damn thing on a busy road at night  :o
I have to take a long trip tomorrow night and need to sort them out asap. I sanded and polished the lenses this morning which helped a little but I really think the problem is just old or useless bulbs.
I think I have the projector type - no washers and it has the level adjustment wheel below the headlight switch.
Because time is short and I don't want to risk breaking the fragile adjuster on the headlamp, I'm thinking of taking it to Halfords in the morning to get them to fit a couple of H1 bulbs.
So... am I asking for trouble by getting them to do the job?  :D
And which bulb should I get from them - Halfords, Bosch or GE?
Thanks.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
Re: Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2015, 19:01:46 »

Standard fitment on Elites are HID`s ???
Switch should be like this
« Last Edit: 24 January 2015, 19:05:17 by RobG »
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2015, 19:04:29 »

Must be the only Elite without xenons... if you must go Halfords, then get their extra bright bulbs. Preferred choice would be Osram Nightbreakers, but you'll struggle to get them on a Sunday  :-\

rollacorolla

« Reply #3 on: 24 January 2015, 19:06:29 »

Thanks Rob. I'm not at all mechanically minded so please excuse the dumb questions  :-[

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 January 2015, 19:10:26 »

When switching headlights on do they gradually power up? (and is your switch the same as in the pic). May have had bumper changed at some point hence no washers :-\

rollacorolla

« Reply #5 on: 24 January 2015, 19:14:24 »

Headlights come on immediately when switched on.

rollacorolla

« Reply #6 on: 24 January 2015, 19:19:17 »

I there any way I can confirm what type of bulbs I have by looking at the headlight?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 January 2015, 19:22:01 »

Are you sure that the adjusters aren't already broken? That will make them 'adjust' so that they illuminate the road about half a metre in front of the car.

Mine were like that, fitting metal adjusters allowed the height adjusters to work properly

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 January 2015, 19:23:35 »

Standard switch would indicate projector lights (H1 dipped). If you manually adjust the lights via the wheel can you notice a slight variation in beam height? If so you have standard projectors. If Osram nightbreakers aren`t available you can try these
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=H1+bulbs&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 January 2015, 19:25:29 »

Easiest way to check for busted adjusters: remove rubber dust cover at rear of light unit, if you can "rock" the reflective part of the headlight the adjuster is knackered

rollacorolla

« Reply #10 on: 24 January 2015, 19:29:32 »

When I manually adjust via the wheel I can definitely notice a variation in the beam height.
I'm getting more than half a metre of illumination  ;D just not bright enough.
I will check for bust adjusters in the morning.
Thanks for all the helpful advice  :y

rollacorolla

« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2015, 19:37:08 »

One more thing - if the adjusters are ok, is it easy enough to change the bulbs myself or should I get Halfords to do it?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2015, 19:45:45 »

One more thing - if the adjusters are ok, is it easy enough to change the bulbs myself or should I get Halfords to do it?

It's fiddly, but not difficult.

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2015, 19:59:03 »

Standard switch would indicate projector lights (H1 dipped). If you manually adjust the lights via the wheel can you notice a slight variation in beam height? If so you have standard projectors. If Osram nightbreakers aren`t available you can try these
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=H1+bulbs&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1
Picture of switch proves only that the switch has a load adjuster wheel... need to see a picture of the top of the headlight unit... this will also confirm the bulbs fitted/required :y

rollacorolla

« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2015, 20:10:05 »

Must be the only Elite without xenons... if you must go Halfords, then get their extra bright bulbs. Preferred choice would be Osram Nightbreakers, but you'll struggle to get them on a Sunday  :-\

Is that because all the other Elite owners upgraded their headlights or they should all come standard with xenons and somehow mine didn't?  ???

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 January 2015, 20:12:05 »

Elite had HID`s as standard fitment apart from the very early ones

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 January 2015, 22:07:38 »

Best way to test the headlight bulbs is right now (in the dark), turn them on and if they flicker (a sort of bluish) and then light up a nice white then they are xenon's. If they come on instantly with no flicker and look kinda yellow then they are standard halogen. Look for the initial flicker when first turned on, ie not been on for a bit and not already warmed up.

If standard halogens then as previously stated Osram Nightbreakers would be the way to go, best price I found was on a certain auction site. Easy enough to fit but as mentioned a bit fiddly and don't touch the glass if you can help it!!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2015, 22:25:41 »

.... or they should all come standard with xenons and somehow mine didn't?  ???

it appears so ........... you sure it's an Elite?  ::)

rollacorolla

« Reply #18 on: 25 January 2015, 08:30:50 »

Unless the previous owner went to a lot of trouble to fake it, I'm pretty sure it's an Elite  :D

rollacorolla

« Reply #19 on: 25 January 2015, 08:32:47 »

Best way to test the headlight bulbs is right now (in the dark), turn them on and if they flicker (a sort of bluish) and then light up a nice white then they are xenon's. If they come on instantly with no flicker and look kinda yellow then they are standard halogen. Look for the initial flicker when first turned on, ie not been on for a bit and not already warmed up.

If standard halogens then as previously stated Osram Nightbreakers would be the way to go, best price I found was on a certain auction site. Easy enough to fit but as mentioned a bit fiddly and don't touch the glass if you can help it!!

They are definitely standard halogen. Is there a guide to replacing the bulbs or is it common sense - I haven't actually had a good dig under the bonnet to see how I access them yet  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 January 2015, 08:41:16 »

Unless the previous owner went to a lot of trouble to fake it, I'm pretty sure it's an Elite  :D

Maybe a previous owner stuffed the front end & halogen lights were easier & cheaper to find to rebuild the front  :-\ Any signs of the loom to the headlights having been altered?  :-\

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 January 2015, 08:42:44 »

They are definitely standard halogen. Is there a guide to replacing the bulbs or is it common sense - I haven't actually had a good dig under the bonnet to see how I access them yet  ::)

there's a black rubber grommet/cover over the back of the light .... only problem is access on the passenger side due to the battery . other than that it's straight forward.

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 25 January 2015, 08:48:37 »

Excuse the picture, as angle isn't great, but there's a label on the top of the light unit.

This one is off/on the Sport, non xenon. Bulb info is to the right of the GM logo... in this case H1 H7 for the main and dipped beam bulbs... just about readable

For comparison, this is the top of a xenon unit, again bulb info is next to the GM logo... in this case D2S H7 for the main and dipped beam bulbs...

That should clarify what's what :y
« Last Edit: 25 January 2015, 08:55:08 by Taxi Al »

rollacorolla

« Reply #23 on: 25 January 2015, 09:51:39 »

Thanks Taxi Al - I just had a look at the labels - H1 H7 so definitely standard halogen.

Maybe a previous owner stuffed the front end & halogen lights were easier & cheaper to find to rebuild the front  :-\ Any signs of the loom to the headlights having been altered?  :-\

I can't see any indication of accident damage on the front end, but this is the second sign that mine is an almost-but-not-quite-Elite. It has 16" rims when it's supposed to have 17"  :D

rollacorolla

« Reply #24 on: 25 January 2015, 11:24:37 »

Ok new bulbs fitted, straightforward but a bit fiddly as everyone said. Can't really see a difference in the daylight but I'm sure it must be a lot better than it was  :-\

robertjames1971

• Durham
    • 1997 Omega 2500 TD Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 February 2015, 14:19:37 »

I'm having the same issue with my 1997 Elite. it has auto levellers (which don't work) and deosn't have washers or HID. I've recently fitted 2 brand new projector headlights with new lamps, set the range properly but they are still absolutely hopeless. I'm at a bit of a loss!

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 March 2015, 16:24:33 »

When you say the autolevellers don't work do you get a dashboard warning? I had the problem and it turned out to be the front self-levelling sensor was kaputt - it's the one that gets the most road grime and the lever had popped off and wouldn't stay in. Managed to get a replacement for £25 off e-bay.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 17 March 2015, 16:50:02 »

I'm having the same issue with my 1997 Elite. it has auto levellers (which don't work) and deosn't have washers or HID. I've recently fitted 2 brand new projector headlights with new lamps, set the range properly but they are still absolutely hopeless. I'm at a bit of a loss!
Head light leveling is different to Suspension leveling... if not xenon/hid, then the adjusters are controlled by the wheel next to the headlight switch... in which case motors are likely shot :y

Merlindriver

• Shropshire
  • Omega 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 March 2015, 16:55:59 »

Gotcha
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.