Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop  (Read 78034 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: This Week in Wheeler's Workshop
« Reply #165 on: 08 April 2019, 07:49:43 »

Very interesting  :)
so have you considered instrumentation ? omega clocks  :-\ or will there be some complex wiring to work out to use MG dash or again an aftermarket solution ?

aaronjb

« Reply #166 on: 08 April 2019, 09:11:23 »

Nice! What is going on with that crossmember, though? It looks like it's been attacked by the bottom pulley (not that engine, obviously)..

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 08 April 2019, 18:16:11 »

Very interesting  :)
so have you considered instrumentation ? omega clocks  :-\ or will there be some complex wiring to work out to use MG dash or again an aftermarket solution ?

Omega clocks?? No room for them, don't have them, too much hassle trying to get them to work, as the only bit that works off the ECU loom is the rev counter. MGB wiring is very simple, with a cable driven speedo, 4 cylinder rev counter and a capillary oil pressure gauge.

And the Omega speedo is driven off the ABS sensors, not the gearbox.

So we're going to use aftermarket to make it easy: RALLYDESIGN That gets around all of the issues of mismatched sensors to the gauges, keeps all the gauge faces looking the same(a mix of cheap used gauges looks shit) and gets everything working quickly. Not expensive either.

The crossmember notch was necessary for the pulley, but Ian did insist on doing the welding with a 90amp gasless Mig. A coat of paint and the air intake over the top will deal with the aesthetics

I'll install the pickup for the speedo into the prop to gearbox adapter.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 08 April 2019, 18:44:35 »

As the omega  OBD2 port is part of the fusebox, did you get the loom between the OBD2 and engine ecu  or is that another problem   :-\

sorry for the questions , just genuinely interested  :-[

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 08 April 2019, 18:50:16 »

As the omega  OBD2 port is part of the fusebox, did you get the loom between the OBD2 and engine ecu  or is that another problem   :-\

sorry for the questions , just genuinely interested  :-[

I'll look, but I think it's part of one of the connectors. The port is attached to the fusebox, I don't think it's part of it. I don't have an Omega to check.  I know Ian's had it all powered up, with blink codes, so that's not difficult.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 08 April 2019, 18:55:16 »

You're talking about running the odd wire from the ecu plug to the dash, hardly groundbreaking, but being able to read a wiring diagram helps :y

The Omega is pretty simple from an electrickery point of view  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 08 April 2019, 19:01:17 »

You're talking about running the odd wire from the ecu plug to the dash, hardly groundbreaking, but being able to read a wiring diagram helps :y

Only two we care about are the rev counter and water temp. Both are easy, and we probably wouldn't bother with the rev counter if the dash didn't already have a hole for it.

The awkward bits of the job will be making the exhaust manifolds and sorting the belt drive; not difficult, just a lot of fiddly fabrication. The systems are easier to make, but he'll just buy existing Rover ones if they're not too loud. Plenty of V8 cars about to decide on that, and if they are we'll make them too.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 08 April 2019, 19:15:33 »

My reply was in Dave's direction ;)

I was pleasantly surprised by how relatively straightforward wiring an LS lump into an Omega. ;)

That MG project looks to be a well thought out one that should improve markedly over the original offerings 8)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 08 April 2019, 20:29:22 »

Only two we care about are the rev counter and water temp. Both are easy, and we probably wouldn't bother with the rev counter if the dash didn't already have a hole for it.

The awkward bits of the job will be making the exhaust manifolds and sorting the belt drive; not difficult, just a lot of fiddly fabrication. The systems are easier to make, but he'll just buy existing Rover ones if they're not too loud. Plenty of V8 cars about to decide on that, and if they are we'll make them too.
Having messed around with some Rover V8s and then messed around with some Omega V6s my subjective impression is that the Omega is LOUD.

My theory is that the Rover is in a low state of tune and has pushrods slowly opening one exhaust valve per cylinder whereas the Omega is overhead cam and can open two exhaust valves per cylinder a lot quicker (and let the noise out faster).
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 08 April 2019, 21:35:21 »

My opinion is that everyone makes exhaust systems far bigger than is necessary for the power output, and then fit silencers that don't. My Metro is only 145hp, yet the system is 2" which is good enough for 200hp. It's not only loud but the sound is horrible.

As each system on the MGB will only have to deal with 100hp, 1.5" pipes will be plenty especially if we fit two big silencers in each side. Using that size pipe means tighter radius bends, which makes it easier for tight fitting systems. It's a road car, a cruiser and it needs to be quiet.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 08 April 2019, 22:12:49 »

I think the hardest task is going to be finding somewhere under the car to locate silencers with enough volume to provide significant attenuation.

The single thing which provides the biggest drop in sound level is linking left & right systems together - easy on a Range Rover but probably impossible in an MG :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

aaronjb

« Reply #176 on: 09 April 2019, 08:57:58 »

So we're going to use aftermarket to make it easy: RALLYDESIGN

Not Smiths Instruments? Am disappoint.  :P ;) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 09 April 2019, 10:39:31 »

There's a guy near me that makes very nice looking Smiths instruments that actually work have modern electronics behind them IIRC.

EDIT: Not sure if his firmware simulates that wobbly speedo needle when travelling at less then 20 MPH though. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #178 on: 09 April 2019, 10:48:15 »

;D

Smiths have their own stepper driven range now - have done for a while AFAIK.. it's what I have in the Cobra. If I ever finish wiring the damn things in. So many wires, so little space.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 09 April 2019, 10:51:43 »

There's a guy near me that makes very nice looking Smiths instruments that actually work have modern electronics behind them IIRC.

EDIT: Not sure if his firmware simulates that wobbly speedo needle when travelling at less then 20 MPH though. ;D

Wobbly speedo needle?.........a sure sign you are at the wheel of a British classic. :y
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.