Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: oh.... the joys of omega ownership  (Read 5955 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« on: 05 September 2010, 23:11:47 »

Just put in a new set of NGK plus on the V6 expecting to find nice dry plug wells, following new rocker cover gaskets and breather system cleaned... but instead found this...

after having to do this...

I love the mig but the workshop manual really should include the following statement in the maintenance schedule: "EVERY 250 MILES OR WEEKLY, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST... TEAR DOWN YOUR ENGINE BAY, REPLACE ROCKER COVER GASKETS & CLEAN BREATHERS" If it carries on i'll swap for a 4 pot  >:( any offers?
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Martin_1962

Re: oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2010, 23:17:12 »

I had similar with my old N reg 2.0 ;D ;D

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2010, 23:36:21 »

just leave the plugs a little loose and the oil will be drawn in..

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2010, 00:33:26 »

Cant give anything constructive.

Just make sure your rocker gaskets are changed correctly.  :-/
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 September 2010, 00:37:27 »

Posted by tapper888 Yesterday at 23:36
just leave the plugs a little loose and the oil will be drawn in..

no thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 01:07:17 by silvercross1 »
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 September 2010, 10:58:33 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

plenty of quality sealant all the way around.

my edges dont leak but a couple of the bolt holes do.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 September 2010, 11:01:55 »

i know some say repair as vaux intended.. but my opinion is that the gasket design is crap.

The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)
Grumpy old man

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 September 2010, 11:03:00 »

Congratulations on obtaining your degreee in automotive design and adding on your 10 years plus of design experience.

Are you a plumber ?  ;D  (Sorry, joking)

The seal design is fine, now problems at all, they do go hard with time (like 8years plus)

The key thing is servicing, change the oil for good stuff regularly and the breathers dont block, up the gasket design and when they do you blow crank seals.....nice.

The fault here may be one of teh following:

Poor quality gaskets (are they Vx ones)
Fitting faults
Damaged cam covers
Breathers not fully clean

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 September 2010, 11:07:52 »

there you go 24valve. criticise vaux design and get all the help you need.

:y

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #9 on: 06 September 2010, 12:49:05 »

The design is fine if the correct parts and the correct procedure is followed. Simples ;)

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

Right. That should get the tongues wagging a bit.
« Last Edit: 06 September 2010, 12:49:24 by Jinglemaster2 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 September 2010, 13:06:44 »

Design is CRAP. I wouldn't have another Omega is it was free. I like the forum. I like the people - even those who haven't bothered to say hello again - I like the banter, but the cars. No. Never and I do mean NEVER again.

I love playing around with cars or at least I did. But there is no small coincidence that since selling my last omega I also sold all my tools and haven't needed them since either.

Morning Ronnie, where did you spring from?  Soz, been in Sunny Cyprus, then Newent meet. What have I missed?  Come to your senses and bought another Omega?  ;D ;D ;D

The design is fine.  Mine have only leaked once on any v6 I've had, and that was the MV6 when it was around 7 or 8 years old. Never leaked since, or on any other V6.  The tractor used to weep near the front, but those BMW ones all do...
Grumpy old man

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #11 on: 06 September 2010, 13:24:36 »

;D ;D ;D :y

I would happily say that if I can find a customer ;D :'(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 September 2010, 17:10:30 »

After I replaced mine I had oil in the plug wells on the next plug change (about 20k later) but this time there was none... Perhaps it's just some residual oil dropping down :-/ :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 September 2010, 19:19:33 »

Too right the design is crap! OK, it might be possible to to fix a leaky V6 with a breather clean and some extortionally priced GM gaskets, but it is going to leak again at some point, in some cases sooner rather than later as you have found out :(
My advice is to stick some some aluminum Vectra covers on and you will have no further trouble.
Some people point out that doing this will cause your crank seals to leak,as the engine will be over pressurised and the cam cover seals act as some sort of primitive pressure relief valve,but in reality the only reason Omega cam cover seals leak is because they are a crap design that cannot cope with the inevitable increase in crankase pressure that occurs as an engine ages.(I bet theres not many Vectra owners that have fitted Omega covers to avoid blown crank seals ;D)
Nevertheless, it is still good advice to keep your breathers clean whatever covers you have fitted, and remember  that even if your crank seal blows(which it wont)it is better to have a few drips on the drive than have your plug wells full of oil and a smoke cloud eminating from your exhaust manifolds :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 September 2010, 22:00:31 »

Too right the design is crap! OK, it might be possible to to fix a leaky V6 with a breather clean and some extortionally priced GM gaskets, but it is going to leak again at some point, in some cases sooner rather than later as you have found out :(
My advice is to stick some some aluminum Vectra covers on and you will have no further trouble.
Some people point out that doing this will cause your crank seals to leak,as the engine will be over pressurised and the cam cover seals act as some sort of primitive pressure relief valve,but in reality the only reason Omega cam cover seals leak is because they are a crap design that cannot cope with the inevitable increase in crankase pressure that occurs as an engine ages.(I bet theres not many Vectra owners that have fitted Omega covers to avoid blown crank seals ;D)
Nevertheless, it is still good advice to keep your breathers clean whatever covers you have fitted, and remember  that even if your crank seal blows(which it wont)it is better to have a few drips on the drive than have your plug wells full of oil and a smoke cloud eminating from your exhaust manifolds :y
I would urge anyone NOT to fit Vectra covers. They are a shite design. Ever wondered why v6 vectras suffer crank seal problems?

The standard Omega ones do seal perfectly fine. Its likely they may fail once at some point in the car's life. I would be surprised if they fail a 2nd time if the correct parts are used and correctly fitted.

The things seal properly if done properly, plain and simple.
Grumpy old man

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2010, 22:28:28 »

I would urge anyone NOT to fit Vectra covers. They are a shite design. Ever wondered why v6 vectras suffer crank seal problems?

The standard Omega ones do seal perfectly fine. Its likely they may fail once at some point in the car's life. I would be surprised if they fail a 2nd time if the correct parts are used and correctly fitted.

The things seal properly if done properly, plain and simple.
Please explain why vectra covers are a 'shite design' Is it because they dont leak?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2010, 22:36:52 »

Please explain why vectra covers are a 'shite design' Is it because they dont leak?
Not quite. Remember, Omega ones don't leak either if done properly.

Vectra ones are bad because if (when!) the pressure does build up, there are 2 places which will then blow - the front crank seal (PITA), or rear crank seal (utter PITA).
Grumpy old man

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2010, 22:38:14 »

AND IIRC the vectra ones are metal and the filler cap is on the wrong bank for the Omega. Can't access it with the plenum on or something. Lond time since I looked into it.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2010, 22:42:25 »

AND IIRC the vectra ones are metal and the filler cap is on the wrong bank for the Omega. Can't access it with the plenum on or something. Lond time since I looked into it.
Access to remove oil filler is easy without removing anything, but you do need a funnel to add oil.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07 September 2010, 00:08:05 »

Posted by Marks DTM Calibration Today at 11:03

The fault here may be one of the following:

Fitting faults
Damaged cam covers

i) Supplied by Vx, manufactured by elring...
ii) fitted properly by someone I trust, using Vx black sealant (sparingly) on half moons...
iii) both covers inspected & both good...
iv) fully cleaned including the awkward tiny hole, with drill bit...
but maybe they've blocked up again? passenger side was still fine and was also least affected first time round  :-/

cheers, steve

On a positive note the engine seems much quieter & smoother since putting NGK plugs in  :)

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 07 September 2010, 08:33:12 »

Not all V6 Vectras use metal cam covers, some use the same plastic ones as the Omega BTW  :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 September 2010, 09:19:22 »

Correct, there is a further issue to, the cam covers do not sit totaly perpendiculer to teh plugs and hence the plug bores in the covers are sloped.

By fitting them on opposite banks this slope no longer corrects this and actualy works against you.

The result is poor plug lead fit.

The ideal would be to move the filler cap on the passenger bank alloy cover but....my welding is not upto that sort of challenge ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2010, 09:19:37 »

Not all V6 Vectras use metal cam covers, some use the same plastic ones as the Omega BTW  :)

Yes, certainly the 3.2 ones did

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2010, 14:25:15 »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 07 September 2010, 17:50:23 »

On a positive note the engine seems much quieter & smoother since putting NGK plugs in  :)

NGK good  :y Bosch bad  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] (I wouldn't fit them if someone gave them to me for free!)

P.S. I told you before, if you really want to swap I have a nice 2.5TD here you can have.. I'll even wash it before you get it!  ;D The only bad points are.. the heater doesn't blow cold properly, the vacuum system is a bit knackered, the passenger door doesn't always lock, since this morning the drivers door doesn't always lock, and it's got all the power of a stoned slug, but aside from that..  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2010, 18:31:20 »

Posted by Marks DTM Calibration Today at 11:03

The fault here may be one of the following:

Fitting faults
Damaged cam covers

i) Supplied by Vx, manufactured by elring...
ii) fitted properly by someone I trust, using Vx black sealant (sparingly) on half moons...
iii) both covers inspected & both good...
iv) fully cleaned including the awkward tiny hole, with drill bit...
but maybe they've blocked up again? passenger side was still fine and was also least affected first time round  :-/

cheers, steve

Didn't know Elring supplied rocker gaskets to GM :o

I know the Elring 'genuine' (which very obviously aren't) ones supplied by Autovaux are every bit as naff as the other pattern ones
Grumpy old man

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 September 2010, 00:25:31 »

Posted by TheBoy Yesterday at 18:31 I know the Elring 'genuine' (which very obviously aren't) ones supplied by Autovaux are every bit as naff as the other pattern ones
there the one's :-[

Oh well, mystery solved  :y

Elring 'genuine'... hmmm... dodgy scammers >:(

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 September 2010, 00:31:06 »

NGK good  :y Bosch bad  [smiley=thumbdown.gif] (I wouldn't fit them if someone gave them to me for free!)

P.S. I told you before, if you really want to swap I have a nice 2.5TD here you can have.. I'll even wash it before you get it!  ;D The only bad points are.. the heater doesn't blow cold properly, the vacuum system is a bit knackered, the passenger door doesn't always lock, since this morning the drivers door doesn't always lock, and it's got all the power of a stoned slug, but aside from that..  ;D

Vauxhall seem to rate them as thats who make there own ;)
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 September 2010, 16:22:40 »

so while the engine is out, I should change them? ::)

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 September 2010, 18:57:44 »

Yes. Slap a pair of Vectra covers on, you know it makes sense :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09 September 2010, 19:09:01 »

Yes. Slap a pair of Vectra covers on, you know it makes sense :y
I would personally, strongly advise against that.
Grumpy old man

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09 September 2010, 19:16:10 »

you'd never buy an omega ever again??? what wud u buy instead? lol
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Jinglemaster2

« Reply #32 on: 09 September 2010, 21:25:33 »

I presume that is for me. :)

Well, since Omega 20 or was it 21 was sold, I have owned a number of cars. Ford Galaxy 2.3 Zetec LPG Auto - cracking car and one of the most comfortable I have driven. Also, Landrover Discovery - utter crap, Mitsubishi Shogun x 3, 2x v6's and 1x 2.8TD - cracking cars.

As for comparable to the Omega, I by chance bought a Renault laguna 3.0v6 Executive last November. Unlike any omega I owned, everything works, it has no rust anywhere at all, it is 100% reliable, has more toys, drives beautifully and for a 3.0v6 Auto, it gives me up to 36mpg depending on what I am doing.

In the 10 months we have owned it I have done two things to it. 1, put a new tyre on after it got a puncture. 2, MoT'd it. That is it.

I have not had to look at handbrakes not working, wishbones, rocker gaskets, door check straps, non working pixels on the computer, oil coolers, radiators. In fact. Nothing whatsoever. Just put petrol in and enjoy - just like it was meant to be.

Now, before anyone says anything, I would NEVER ever have bought a Luguna. I always hated them, heard they were ultra unreliable etc etc, but due to breaking the Galaxy I needed anything Automatic the next day. It was all I could find. Never intended to actually keep it more than the time it took the V5 to come back.

But after driving it 400+ miles the day after buying it without it missing a beat, with the cruise on, listening to the CD multichanger with the climate keeping the cabin just as I wanted, with the sumptuous electric leather seats, I decided to keep it a bit longer.

Some bone-end caught the front bumper 3 weeks in to owning, which cost his insurers £500, so the car actually stands me at £100. can't go wrong.

As for my comment about never owning an omega again. Yes, I stand by that. Number of reasons. I had 20+ of them so had enough to last me a lifetime. They are old now and obviously getting older by the day. Newest ones are 7 years old. And, if I am honest, I have gone right off any car that I need to have a 4 post ramp and an indsutrial supply of Snap on tools at the ready 24/7.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09 September 2010, 21:43:17 »

Morning Ronnie, where did you spring from?  Soz, been in Sunny Cyprus, then Newent meet. What have I missed?  Come to your senses and bought another Omega?  ;D ;D ;D

The design is fine.  Mine have only leaked once on any v6 I've had, and that was the MV6 when it was around 7 or 8 years old. Never leaked since, or on any other V6.  The tractor used to weep near the front, but those BMW ones all do...
No they don't :P ;D
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09 September 2010, 22:03:34 »

I have not had to look at handbrakes not working, wishbones, rocker gaskets, door check straps, non working pixels on the computer, oil coolers, radiators. In fact. Nothing whatsoever. Just put petrol in and enjoy - just like it was meant to be.
Much like all my Omegas then, except Tractor that was bought with an engine issue, and handbrake on MV6 (fussy MOTer).

Do a jobs properly on the Omega, it seems to be a reliable, cheap to run motor. Petrol aside, obviously.  It would appear that the Omega doesn't take so kindly to always being bodged, but then I guess a lot of high mileage motors are the same.

My feelings are that the Omega's weak point, particularly prefacelift, is rust prevention. Or lack of.

Mechanically, they are generally decent cars for the age/mileage, and stnning value still.
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2010, 22:03:37 »

My same gasket was done three times and still leaked; all in three months; I like tinkering too but it got too much and I also love the forum and people but the Omega had to go.

Bought another car.....which then needed a new engine....

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work (see link on my footnote) it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Problem is that I have always used smaller cars which are simpler and cheaper to run and I dared to speak my mind and say that I would much prefer a (new) Skoda Superb and then softly criticise some of the Omega's characteristics on an Omega site.
I now get blanked by many  :-X

You are braver than I  being so bold.  I think the Omega has many good points, but it does not suit me  :y
« Last Edit: 09 September 2010, 22:04:58 by geoffharvey »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2010, 22:05:42 »

My same gasket was done three times and still leaked; all in three months; I like tinkering too but it got too much and I also love the forum and people but the Omega had to go.

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Problem is that I have always used smaller cars which are simpler and cheaper to run and I dared to speak my mind and say that I would much prefer a (new) Skoda Superb and then softly criticise some of the Omega's characteristics on an Omega site.

You are braver than I  being so bold.  I think the Omega has many good points, but it does not suit me  :y
Struggling to remember, yours was a 2.5 wasn't it?  Low 20s mpg is appalling for that, unless its an auto, and you only drive around town?
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2010, 22:08:42 »

OOF is the best forum.  I liked the Omega and after a huge amount of work it got me to Poland fully loaded in all that snow last Christmas without issue even at minus 20, but it was the rattling cams, the leaking again and the low 20s mpg which sent it on its way.

Struggling to remember, yours was a 2.5 wasn't it?  Low 20s mpg is appalling for that, unless its an auto, and you only drive around town?

Fully fettled 2.2 auto-see link, 27-30 on a long flat run, 23-25 average driven like a nun  :o

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2010, 22:10:00 »

Fully fettled 2.2 auto-see link, 27-30 on a long flat run, 23-25 average driven like a nun  :o
Hmmm, that does sound very poorly :o :o :o
Grumpy old man

cruisetopoland

• Omega Knight
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2010, 22:11:39 »

Well it was thoroughly fettled; everything done, even tech2 upgrades, throttle bodies-see "the list"....

Once managed 32mpg on a 55mph 100 mile cruise

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2010, 14:08:49 »

Well it was thoroughly fettled; everything done, even tech2 upgrades, throttle bodies-see "the list"....

Definitely not right then... My 3.0 Auto manages mid 30's on a 70-80mph  (indicated) cruise :-/
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2010, 14:18:42 »

Definitely not right then... My 3.0 Auto manages mid 30's on a 70-80mph  (indicated) cruise :-/

Absolutely, just done a 310 mile round trip in a 3.0 litre auto at 80 on cruise. Returned 32.7 mpg. Boh! :y
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2010, 14:29:42 »

Absolutely, just done a 310 mile round trip in a 3.0 litre auto at 80 on cruise. Returned 32.7 mpg. Boh! :y
I did a round trip to Luton airport and back in my new 3.2 Elite. Averaged 21mpg  :'(

Mind you, I might not have been cruising at 80mph, particularly on the way there, as we were running very late  :-X
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 10 September 2010, 14:30:28 »

I did a round trip to Luton airport and back in my new 3.2 Elite. Averaged 21mpg  :'(

Mind you, I might not have been cruising at 80mph, particularly on the way there, as we were running very late  :-X
Which reminds me, I still maintain my 1998 MV6 3.0l is quicker  :-X
Grumpy old man

geoffr70

• Omega Baron
  • Sunderland
  • Boobies
    • F/L 3.0 Elite, 3.0 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 10 September 2010, 14:39:59 »

Which reminds me, I still maintain my 1998 MV6 3.0l is quicker  :-X

I've found that my beast returns better mpg sat at 80 instead of 56. I managed 27 ish on an 80 mile round trip sat at 56, negotiating a few roundabouts and 30 areas. Not good!

On an unrelated note A few years ago we used to make a weekly trip from Shaibah logistics base outside of Basra to Basra Airport. About 21 miles IIRC.  We had various vehicles, inc. 3.5 v6 Pathfinder (petrol of course - at 8 pence a litre!), not the horrid diesel one in britain, a 3.5 v6 Pajero, and a Dodge Magnum with 5.7l V8 - that was crazy!

Needless to say we would have the aircon on full blast, with our feeflat to the floor to beat the 'record'. Anyway, IIRC we used about 40 litres or so for journey in the Pathfinder!

If my maths are correct, that's about 4.7 mpg? Crazy!
TC and BnQ Trade holder.
I'll out pull you with my caravan!
V6 locking kit available locally, with deposit.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 10 September 2010, 15:25:17 »

My MV6 returns best MPG at around 60ish.  Unsure about Elite, not really driven it to be honest.

I have averaged 32mpg over a 1800 mile holiday, the travelling to/from our destination was mostly at 80-90mph
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #46 on: 10 September 2010, 17:30:50 »

...sounds to me like some have trouble following simple advice... :-/

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 10 September 2010, 18:24:31 »

Snap, that's what my TD gets.. :lol: (Actually no, I get more, averages 26mpg around town.. still trying to figure out what it's problem is!)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 September 2010, 20:07:38 »

I presume that is for me. :)

Well, since Omega 20 or was it 21 was sold, I have owned a number of cars. Ford Galaxy 2.3 Zetec LPG Auto - cracking car and one of the most comfortable I have driven. Also, Landrover Discovery - utter crap, Mitsubishi Shogun x 3, 2x v6's and 1x 2.8TD - cracking cars.

As for comparable to the Omega, I by chance bought a Renault laguna 3.0v6 Executive last November. Unlike any omega I owned, everything works, it has no rust anywhere at all, it is 100% reliable, has more toys, drives beautifully and for a 3.0v6 Auto, it gives me up to 36mpg depending on what I am doing.

In the 10 months we have owned it I have done two things to it. 1, put a new tyre on after it got a puncture. 2, MoT'd it. That is it.

Now, before anyone says anything, I would NEVER ever have bought a Luguna. I always hated them, heard they were ultra unreliable etc etc, but due to breaking the Galaxy I needed anything Automatic the next day. It was all I could find. Never intended to actually keep it more than the time it took the V5 to come back.

But after driving it 400+ miles the day after buying it without it missing a beat, with the cruise on, listening to the CD multichanger with the climate keeping the cabin just as I wanted, with the sumptuous electric leather seats, I decided to keep it a bit longer.

Some bone-end caught the front bumper 3 weeks in to owning, which cost his insurers £500, so the car actually stands me at £100. can't go wrong.

As for my comment about never owning an omega again. Yes, I stand by that. Number of reasons. I had 20+ of them so had enough to last me a lifetime. They are old now and obviously getting older by the day. Newest ones are 7 years old. And, if I am honest, I have gone right off any car that I need to have a 4 post ramp and an indsutrial supply of Snap on tools at the ready 24/7.

I'm impressed tho' that you kept at it for that long before giving up. ::)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 September 2010, 18:42:23 »

a) as for the consumption...i've noticed that fuel economy in urban driving is fairly bad (almost 15l/100km), while in open road drive is suprisingly low (below 10l/100km).

b) regarding the build quality of the car...it is definitely not the robustest car ever made. Just compared to a carlton 2.0, it does break allot. BUT, IMO, problems with v6 engines are in a big part down to a faulty maintainenance. i had one v6 omega on which the camcover gasket was done badly 3 times in the row in a period of 6 months. in each of this 3 attempts, mechanic-guy was obviously hasty. on 4th attempt, in the other garage, it was done thoroughly and slowly, and after that-> no more oil leaks  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 12 September 2010, 19:21:43 »

a) as for the consumption...i've noticed that fuel economy in urban driving is fairly bad (almost 15l/100km), while in open road drive is suprisingly low (below 10l/100km).

b) regarding the build quality of the car...it is definitely not the robustest car ever made. Just compared to a carlton 2.0, it does break allot. BUT, IMO, problems with v6 engines are in a big part down to a faulty maintainenance. i had one v6 omega on which the camcover gasket was done badly 3 times in the row in a period of 6 months. in each of this 3 attempts, mechanic-guy was obviously hasty. on 4th attempt, in the other garage, it was done thoroughly and slowly, and after that-> no more oil leaks  :y

Odd that, must be just the petrol models, as I've always felt that my TD was machined out of a solid piece of metal. ::) ::) ::)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 12 September 2010, 20:20:57 »

i meant omega in general, regardless of the engine.
interior parts break off, suspension bushes wear to soon...

v6 are a bit complex pieces of machinery, and quite often mechanics don't fully understand how stuff works. lets say: camcover gaskets & breathers, oil in cooling & oil cooler, vac pipes broken, changing only toothed belt without the tensioner... this are just some of usually FAILs.

ps. 100th post 8-) 8-)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 20:21:29 by Bojan »

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 September 2010, 00:40:42 »

I find the Laguna comment interesting, a good few years back my old company stopped the VX only policy and let the reps choose any 'exec' car up to a price point. Two out of 10 chose Laguna because they had better spec to price ratio than the other options (including migs), one guy had a few problems including a new gearbox and diff. The other guy declared it the worst car he had ever drove, he had the box done twice, the diff done 3 times, numerous ancillaries replaced and the real kicker he had the equivalent of a blocked breather but it pushed the gas into the car. They only found the problem when it went in with dash problems and the mechanic happened to pick up on it, he had driven it like it for months without realising, it answered why he was getting huge frequent headaches.... At next renewal all Renaults had left the list.

And even so called top marques have problems, my daughter has a BMW made John Cooper Works Mini, 40k on it and the timing chain failed as did the entire entertainment system, luckily both under warranty as the system was a £3k replacement. It now has the same chain rattle again and BMW are trying to wriggle out of replacing it as it's only a 'little noise'.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.