Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: oh.... the joys of omega ownership  (Read 5954 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: oh.... the joys of omega ownership
« Reply #45 on: 10 September 2010, 15:25:17 »

My MV6 returns best MPG at around 60ish.  Unsure about Elite, not really driven it to be honest.

I have averaged 32mpg over a 1800 mile holiday, the travelling to/from our destination was mostly at 80-90mph
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #46 on: 10 September 2010, 17:30:50 »

...sounds to me like some have trouble following simple advice... :-/

aaronjb

« Reply #47 on: 10 September 2010, 18:24:31 »

Fully fettled 2.2 auto-see link, 27-30 on a long flat run, 23-25 average driven like a nun  :o

Snap, that's what my TD gets.. :lol: (Actually no, I get more, averages 26mpg around town.. still trying to figure out what it's problem is!)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 September 2010, 20:07:38 »

I presume that is for me. :)

Well, since Omega 20 or was it 21 was sold, I have owned a number of cars. Ford Galaxy 2.3 Zetec LPG Auto - cracking car and one of the most comfortable I have driven. Also, Landrover Discovery - utter crap, Mitsubishi Shogun x 3, 2x v6's and 1x 2.8TD - cracking cars.

As for comparable to the Omega, I by chance bought a Renault laguna 3.0v6 Executive last November. Unlike any omega I owned, everything works, it has no rust anywhere at all, it is 100% reliable, has more toys, drives beautifully and for a 3.0v6 Auto, it gives me up to 36mpg depending on what I am doing.

In the 10 months we have owned it I have done two things to it. 1, put a new tyre on after it got a puncture. 2, MoT'd it. That is it.

I have not had to look at handbrakes not working, wishbones, rocker gaskets, door check straps, non working pixels on the computer, oil coolers, radiators. In fact. Nothing whatsoever. Just put petrol in and enjoy - just like it was meant to be.

Now, before anyone says anything, I would NEVER ever have bought a Luguna. I always hated them, heard they were ultra unreliable etc etc, but due to breaking the Galaxy I needed anything Automatic the next day. It was all I could find. Never intended to actually keep it more than the time it took the V5 to come back.

But after driving it 400+ miles the day after buying it without it missing a beat, with the cruise on, listening to the CD multichanger with the climate keeping the cabin just as I wanted, with the sumptuous electric leather seats, I decided to keep it a bit longer.

Some bone-end caught the front bumper 3 weeks in to owning, which cost his insurers £500, so the car actually stands me at £100. can't go wrong.

As for my comment about never owning an omega again. Yes, I stand by that. Number of reasons. I had 20+ of them so had enough to last me a lifetime. They are old now and obviously getting older by the day. Newest ones are 7 years old. And, if I am honest, I have gone right off any car that I need to have a 4 post ramp and an indsutrial supply of Snap on tools at the ready 24/7.

I'm impressed tho' that you kept at it for that long before giving up. ::)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 12 September 2010, 18:42:23 »

a) as for the consumption...i've noticed that fuel economy in urban driving is fairly bad (almost 15l/100km), while in open road drive is suprisingly low (below 10l/100km).

b) regarding the build quality of the car...it is definitely not the robustest car ever made. Just compared to a carlton 2.0, it does break allot. BUT, IMO, problems with v6 engines are in a big part down to a faulty maintainenance. i had one v6 omega on which the camcover gasket was done badly 3 times in the row in a period of 6 months. in each of this 3 attempts, mechanic-guy was obviously hasty. on 4th attempt, in the other garage, it was done thoroughly and slowly, and after that-> no more oil leaks  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 12 September 2010, 19:21:43 »

a) as for the consumption...i've noticed that fuel economy in urban driving is fairly bad (almost 15l/100km), while in open road drive is suprisingly low (below 10l/100km).

b) regarding the build quality of the car...it is definitely not the robustest car ever made. Just compared to a carlton 2.0, it does break allot. BUT, IMO, problems with v6 engines are in a big part down to a faulty maintainenance. i had one v6 omega on which the camcover gasket was done badly 3 times in the row in a period of 6 months. in each of this 3 attempts, mechanic-guy was obviously hasty. on 4th attempt, in the other garage, it was done thoroughly and slowly, and after that-> no more oil leaks  :y

Odd that, must be just the petrol models, as I've always felt that my TD was machined out of a solid piece of metal. ::) ::) ::)

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 12 September 2010, 20:20:57 »

i meant omega in general, regardless of the engine.
interior parts break off, suspension bushes wear to soon...

v6 are a bit complex pieces of machinery, and quite often mechanics don't fully understand how stuff works. lets say: camcover gaskets & breathers, oil in cooling & oil cooler, vac pipes broken, changing only toothed belt without the tensioner... this are just some of usually FAILs.

ps. 100th post 8-) 8-)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2010, 20:21:29 by Bojan »

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 13 September 2010, 00:40:42 »

I find the Laguna comment interesting, a good few years back my old company stopped the VX only policy and let the reps choose any 'exec' car up to a price point. Two out of 10 chose Laguna because they had better spec to price ratio than the other options (including migs), one guy had a few problems including a new gearbox and diff. The other guy declared it the worst car he had ever drove, he had the box done twice, the diff done 3 times, numerous ancillaries replaced and the real kicker he had the equivalent of a blocked breather but it pushed the gas into the car. They only found the problem when it went in with dash problems and the mechanic happened to pick up on it, he had driven it like it for months without realising, it answered why he was getting huge frequent headaches.... At next renewal all Renaults had left the list.

And even so called top marques have problems, my daughter has a BMW made John Cooper Works Mini, 40k on it and the timing chain failed as did the entire entertainment system, luckily both under warranty as the system was a £3k replacement. It now has the same chain rattle again and BMW are trying to wriggle out of replacing it as it's only a 'little noise'.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 17 queries.