Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooling system - Self Bleeding, HOW??  (Read 1196 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
Cooling system - Self Bleeding, HOW??
« on: 17 September 2010, 01:29:17 »

I am quite used to messing around with cooling systems, draining, flushing, replacing rads, fans, switches etc.. everything I've had before the mig either had a bleed nipple, screw or required running with rad cap/pressure cap off (after a coolant change) whilst squeezing hoses & raising to operating temp to expel trapped air. I understand that the mig is a pressurized system and self bleeding, yet has a threaded plastic cap that does not bleed off? how exactly does the system bleed/expel trapped air??? I understand the plumbing but not the physics  ;)
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

feeutfo

Re: Cooling system - Self Bleeding, HOW??
« Reply #1 on: 17 September 2010, 01:39:09 »

Trapped air ends up back in the expansion bottle, so just keep an eye on it for a couple of days after  and top up as needed. Simples. :y

Welung666

« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2010, 07:36:07 »

To bleed it from cold start the car with the cap off, let it warm up a bit then start squeezing the large radiator hoses. As the system tries to pressurise it forces the air back to the expansion bottle. So with a little squuzing help from you it self bleeds :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 September 2010, 09:36:07 »

As others have said, it all bleeds back to reservoir.  The volumes of coolant and air doesn't change, just the location of them...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 September 2010, 09:42:06 »

As others have hinted, to be honest, just start the car up with cap off for a few mins.  Sometimes a bit of top host squeezing helps, not always necessary, and turn the a/c on and off a few times (so that both coolant paths are utilised for a few mins each).

It would appear the most common place for airlocks is the heater matrix, so ensure the heaters get nice and toasty.

I always manually check the coolant for a couple of days after, as it does sometimes drop as more air swaps place with coolant. Probably overkill, but I reckon better safe than sorry
Grumpy old man

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2010, 13:34:28 »

Cheers guys  :y
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2010, 00:42:41 »

to arrange a cooling system to be self-bleeding, just place the reservoir at the top of the system, seemples.

actually, for many reasons, some cars haven't got this, which is when you need separate bleed points, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.