Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 Alternator removal/refit  (Read 3074 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
3.2 Alternator removal/refit
« on: 14 July 2020, 13:28:38 »

So save getting lost in the other thread...

So using this (from an early v6) as a basis - http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=107049.0

Implication is there is a bolt/nut at rear of alternator.  Is that still same for 3.2?
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 Alternator removal/refit
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2020, 13:40:10 »

From memory yes as the block is fundamentally the same.

Can be done without jacking, but lifting the header tank may improve elbow room ;)

And yes wiring is traditional nut on stud :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2020, 14:16:20 »

Before removing it have a gander if it can be done on the car. I really dont remember removing the alternator when I changed the regulator.  :-\
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

456lbft

• Northants
  • Exhaust manufacturer from Northamptonshire
    • Omega MV6-Fred
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2020, 14:36:36 »

Before removing it have a gander if it can be done on the car. I really dont remember removing the alternator when I changed the regulator.  :-\
Not too bad a job when the belts are being done.
Carlton 3.6 Track Car
Omega 3.2 MV6 Fred

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2020, 20:32:13 »

I'd say you'd have no hope with it in the car. Not a bad job to get the alternator in/out but it's fiddly getting to the nuts on the back of the alternator. Couple of extension bars and some gadget hands required.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2020, 21:47:43 »

Reply number 25 in the thread below confirms Kevin is corect, my memory is shot to bits, and I wastalking shite - again.  ::) ;D

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=144140.15
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 July 2020, 11:18:04 »

I'd say you'd have no hope with it in the car. Not a bad job to get the alternator in/out but it's fiddly getting to the nuts on the back of the alternator. Couple of extension bars and some gadget hands required.

Thinking back, I'm almost sure that this was the job where I glued/blue tacked the nut to my finger, as I was getting pissed off with the nut not quite sitting straight on the bolt thread when it was between my fingers. Worked a treat.  :y ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 July 2020, 14:39:34 »

Thinking back, I'm almost sure that this was the job where I glued/blue tacked the nut to my finger, as I was getting pissed off with the nut not quite sitting straight on the bolt thread when it was between my fingers. Worked a treat.  :y ;D
Yes I do remember one (top I think) being a bit of a fiddle to line up

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 July 2020, 19:24:59 »

The nut that holds the cable to a stud? Not a nut that the main mounting bolts use?
Grumpy old man

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 July 2020, 19:51:51 »

The nut that holds the cable to a stud? Not a nut that the main mounting bolts use?

I'm sure it was the mounting bolt nut as I went underneath to sort the wires. Also, if doing from above you can get the wires attached before fitting it properly. You are working by feel, not by sight. How soon are you going to be doing it, happy to pop over if I can help in any way.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 July 2020, 19:52:42 »

Those two are easy enough to remove once you have the Alternator free and can move it to get to them.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 July 2020, 20:46:11 »

There's enough slack on the cables to lay the alt face down to undo the electickery cables, bottom fixing bolt is a pain in the ass but securing the nut into a ring spanner with duct tape helps when refitting the alt massively 
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 July 2020, 19:27:07 »

Job jobbed, many thanks to all those who have advice, esp that DTM chap, who had to tolerate some daft questions today.

He reckons 40 mins.  Took me over 2hrs ;D.  Next time would be quicker, obviously. Hope there isn't a next time though ;D
Grumpy old man

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2020, 12:09:56 »

Job jobbed, many thanks to all those who have advice, esp that DTM chap, who had to tolerate some daft questions today.

He reckons 40 mins.  Took me over 2hrs ;D.  Next time would be quicker, obviously. Hope there isn't a next time though ;D

It's an age thing 8)
I like red cars

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2020, 17:51:04 »

It's an age thing 8)
Aye. And I am old. I can even join your Saga club now :P
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.