Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving Abroad  (Read 1903 times)

Tricky Dicky

• Farnborough Hampshire
    • Omega CDX 2.6 manual
    • View Profile
Driving Abroad
« on: 21 July 2020, 13:33:50 »

Hi all.... after a bit of help & advice - I always thought there was no way to switch xenon headlights over to driving on the right. According to the handbook you can switch over standard headlights but there is no reference to xenons. It's never bothered me in the past and I've never been flashed at (oo-er) when driving at night on the continent but, after 7 years of ownership, I've just discovered there's a tab on the headlight with arrows and L & R...   Are xenons switchable? The main reason for asking now is that I'm moving to Germany in a couple of weeks and taking Oma with me. I had planned on getting new German lamps or lenses to get it through the TUV and then registered there. I've got a pic of the tab on the top of the headlight but I don't seem to be able to attach it (?)    Thanks for any advice, Rich       

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Abroad
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2020, 13:58:36 »

Xenons are switchable but you'll need to remove* the unit to do it as the bulb cap is screwed on :y

*Whilst you can technically do it in situ, it's easier out of the car and with it unplugged, you're less likely to elwctrecute yourself  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2020, 15:36:18 »

Xenons are switchable but you'll need to remove* the unit to do it as the bulb cap is screwed on :y

*Whilst you can technically do it in situ, it's easier out of the car and with it unplugged, you're less likely to elwctrecute yourself  ;)

I recall hearing that those ballasts pack quite a punch
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Tricky Dicky

• Farnborough Hampshire
    • Omega CDX 2.6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2020, 17:13:47 »

Okay - thanks for that. I don't suppose there's a guide for it?  Any ideas if this will be good enough for ze German TUV ?   I'm just thinking about replacing the lenses anyway as they are getting cloudy now. There also seems to be a wide variation in prices for new lamps on Ebay.de...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2020, 19:24:02 »

The lever doesn't convert a RHD lamp into a LHD one.  It just blocks some of the light output away from the now oncoming traffic, like the traditional stick-on patches did but in a more convenient way. This is obvious if you remember to switch them halfway through a 2 week holiday in the middle of nowhere in February - suddenly it's like driving behind failing sealed beams again

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2020, 21:08:51 »

As has been stated, it does not convert LHD lights to RHD or RHD to LHD.  The levers convert the beam to a flat pattern which would certainly fail a UK MOT,

The levers are there on all Xenon cars, and takes a few seconds to do - rubber cap off, flick the lever, rubber cap on. Done.
Grumpy old man

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2020, 21:35:31 »

As has been stated, it does not convert LHD lights to RHD or RHD to LHD.  The levers convert the beam to a flat pattern which would certainly fail a UK MOT,

The levers are there on all Xenon cars, and takes a few seconds to do - rubber cap off, flick the lever, rubber cap on. Done.

Not in my experience .... I set mine to "flat" for a french holiday and as it was raining at the ferry terminal (where I usually changed them) left them there on the way home, and then forgot about them !!!  Nothing said at all at the MOT, only noticed when winter came and it got dark much earlier so the lights were actually used in anger !!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2020, 22:08:50 »

Not in my experience .... I set mine to "flat" for a french holiday and as it was raining at the ferry terminal (where I usually changed them) left them there on the way home, and then forgot about them !!!  Nothing said at all at the MOT, only noticed when winter came and it got dark much earlier so the lights were actually used in anger !!

What Entwood said as I've done the same .... the MOT test is just testing to ensure you're not blinding people.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2020, 17:53:54 »

I left mine set to flat, as the NS one was a pain to get to without loosening the battery.  And it passed a couple of times. Then it failed with an incorrect beam pattern.

Technically it is a fail, but most likely depends how grumpy my grumpy MOT tester is on a given day ;D
Grumpy old man

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 July 2020, 19:02:23 »

I left mine set to flat, as the NS one was a pain to get to without loosening the battery.  And it passed a couple of times. Then it failed with an incorrect beam pattern.

Technically it is a fail, but most likely depends how grumpy my grumpy MOT tester is on a given day ;D

Tell Grumpy MOT man to Foxtrot Oscar!

4.1.2. Headlamp alignment

You must inspect all dipped beam headlamps fitted.

The type of headlamp will determine whether the aim must be checked on dipped or main beam (see Diagrams 1, 2 and 3).

A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern is acceptable as long as all of the beam upper edge, including any ‘peak’ is contained within the appropriate tolerance band.

It’s acceptable for masks or converter kits to be fitted to right hand dip headlamps to temporarily alter the lamp for use in the UK by removing the beam ‘kick-up’ to the right.

If driver’s beam aim controls are fitted, you should test the beam aim without altering the control setting. If this would result in failure for beam aim being too low, you should re-check the beam aim with the control set at its ‘highest’ position.

On vehicles with hydro-pneumatic suspension systems, it’s necessary to have the engine running when checking headlamp aim.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Tricky Dicky

• Farnborough Hampshire
    • Omega CDX 2.6 manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2020, 11:00:15 »

Thanks all for the advice... I think I'll get some new lamp units when I get over there.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2020, 11:46:19 »

Given that it's a long term move, that's probably the best approach  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.