Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Zafira owners might be interested ...  (Read 2633 times)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Zafira owners might be interested ...
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2016, 12:39:33 »

So what's the actual issue with these? Material used for the resistor combusting?  :-\
My guess is that the bearings in the fan motors have been seizing (possibly made worse by water ingress through the scuttle). A partially seized fan will draw more current than it should but pass less air over the resistors.

More current and less airflow results in an overheating resistor pack. VX probably fitted one or more solder links on the base of the resistor pack to act as thermal fuses (the solder used in sprinkler heads melts at 70 degC so VX could have chosen a low melting point solder)

The final piece of the jigsaw is either a DIY fix to link out the thermal fuses (or an ebay replacement without fuses) to turn the resistor pack into a glow plug.

Over heating of the fan motor also easily caused by a blocked pollen/cabin filter :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2016, 18:29:51 »

It's a shame, really. Zafira was/is the cheapest and simplest people carrier/van around. Just about everyone has had one at some point. I never had any bother with mine and I certainly gave it some grief.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2016, 18:45:51 »

In fairness the number of vehicles of different makes being recalled-albeit maybe not for fire causing issues-is quite frightening :o
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.