Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 4x4 options?? Advice pls  (Read 3937 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
4x4 options?? Advice pls
« on: 26 May 2016, 08:04:04 »

Currently looking for a 4x4. Don't know much about them to be honest so all opinions/advice much appreciated. I need something with good pulling power and plenty off road ability and a good ground clearance would help. Prefer pickup type body but I'm not tied to that. Reason I need it is that I've bought a small forest for firewood and I need something to pull the logs out.
I've driven discoveries before and was impressed with the off road ability but am concerned they might be troublesome and costly to repair.
Whatever I buy doesn't have to be roadworthy as it will be off road all the time so as long as it goes and isn't going to break my heart is all I'm after.
I've seen a few discoveries for around the £1500 mark that look good to me. I'm hoping to get something for less than 2k if possible.
As I said I don't know much about them so thought it best to ask the more knowledgeable on here.
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

05omegav6

Re: 4x4 options?? Advice pls
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2016, 08:18:27 »

Toyota hilux :y

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2016, 08:44:13 »

I know the older hilux had a great reputation but I've heard  the newer models don't compare at all. Where is the line between good and bad?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 May 2016, 09:00:46 »

I know the older hilux had a great reputation but I've heard  the newer models don't compare at all. Where is the line between good and bad?

Your budget is only going to stretch to a well-used older model. Expect rust, poor maintenance and lots of suspect repairs. Despite all that it will probably keep going, which is why a reasonable one is hard to find.

Newer ones are still basically the same vehicle, and being Toyotas are still reliable.

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2016, 09:28:12 »

Does it need an MoT?

What about tractor :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2016, 10:15:52 »

Mitsubishi Shogun, or the equivalent (imported and lower specc'd) Pajero? plenty about at that sort of money. Really rugged bits of kit - favoured by farmers, which in my book means you probably won't find much that's more rugged/reliable for the money.

A glance through the classifieds shows plenty with more than 200k on the clock so something like the one below should have plenty of life left in her  :y

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201605184073993
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 10:19:41 by jimmy944 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2016, 10:33:05 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-Navara-2-5-DI-4x4-Double-Cab-Pickup-2004-Towbar-/222128060364?hash=item33b7dd37cc:g:EdMAAOSwL0NXEQza

Towed a large glider trailer to Scotland with an 07 Navara last year and it was a surprisingly comfortable drive and a very good towing vehicle. Not necessarily relevant to the OP's requirements, mind.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2016, 10:41:39 »

Does it need an MoT?

What about tractor :-\

Doesn't have to have an MOT but I'm hoping to get something that is roadworthy and can be MOT'ed.
Plenty to think about there anyway lads

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2016, 10:49:00 »

Saw this on ebay and it looks good to me. Any opinions???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222128352363

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2016, 10:52:33 »

IMHO if you want something really rugged, reliable, and totally capable in all weathers .. go for a Defender not a Discovery, or if you can find one .. an early 110 ... as my uncle used to say .. a proper landrover is one you take to a blacksmith to fix .. not a bloody garage or electronics warehouse ...... :)

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2016, 15:29:45 »

IMHO if you want something really rugged, reliable, and totally capable in all weathers .. go for a Defender not a Discovery, or if you can find one .. an early 110 ... as my uncle used to say .. a proper landrover is one you take to a blacksmith to fix .. not a bloody garage or electronics warehouse ...... :)

Unfortunately you won't get much in the way of a decent Defender for under £2000.

If you're looking for a Discovery around that era then rust is a major concern. Chassis mounts, boot floors, inner wings, suspension mounts, rear cross-member, wheel arches,  inner wings outer sills, inner sills......the list goes on.
There are many, many Disco's 1993 - 1998 Mk1's that can be had for what appears to be a steal but you really have to do your homework & get dirty & have a look underneath them. Engine wise the Tdi 200 & 300 are quite bullet proof (if looked after once in a while  ::) ) quick they ain't!
If you get a Tdi I'd go for the manual one, just because its easier to get going, autos are dead lazy.
Looking at the one you've seen on Flea-bay, it looks smart & has already had a lot of welding to get it through several MOT's. Even so I'd be on my hands and knees looking at whats been done & to what standard.
The outer body is mostly aluminium with the exception of the bonnet & roof, this can be advantageous but it can get a bit ratty if it starts to oxidise (usually where it meets steel on the innards of doors etc.)

I've found out through ripping apart the one I've got (V8 btw) that a lot of stuff is literally bolt or stick on (yup I ain't joking rear wings glued & tac'ed) is really easy to repair /replace parts and there are loads of spares shops to go at.
So far before I did my back in I replaced all suspension & steering serviceable items, swivels, bearings and brakes with little effort and they were quite enjoyable to do. I've been lucky so far and not had to get the welder out, but I will....somewhere i'll need to, just not found it yet.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2016, 17:16:33 »

Nice to hear of a fellow logger! I use a Suzuki Vitara but wouldn't recommend.

My brother has a plot of land he harvests for firewood and he uses an antique tractor and trailer. It is very advantageous on the insurance, tax and MOT side of things but painfully slow on main roads (something you might not need to do.).

From what I have seen here in the countryside in Spain the old Mitsibushi Pajeros just run and run. Something like this (although you might prefer a manual)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mitsubishi-Pajero-Shogun-7-seater-turbo-diesel-estate-car-with-tow-bar-/391464716858?hash=item5b251d8a3a:g:FugAAOSwMN9XQvbC
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2016, 19:58:15 »

A left field suggestion[I don't know if one would be hefty enough for your needs]but how about a Lada Niva if one can be found?They get very good reviews for rugged reliability.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2016, 23:15:35 »

A left field suggestion[I don't know if one would be hefty enough for your needs]but how about a Lada Niva if one can be found?They get very good reviews for rugged reliability.

I know a guy who now has two of those. I assume he has some kind of problem but he seems to love them.. ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.