Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: In the Major Service deep end again  (Read 15302 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: In the Major Service deep end again
« Reply #45 on: 25 September 2018, 16:19:06 »

Give Nick W a shout.

It will be time and money well spent :y

Not trying to be negative, but phrases like 'complete fuel injection system' and 'service' really don't belong in the same post :-\
Nothing you are discovering is insurmountable, and all standard Omega fare... Usually you hit all of them at 80-120k miles, but yours is obviously there on age... Welcome to the reality of owning an Omega, however shiny.

Yep, and thanks you are right DG :-* :-* :y

I have owned some 4 Omega's, apart from one Omega company vehicle, and know all too well the negatives about their maintenance  But this has proved something else.

Now got plans afoot to remedy the situation 8) 8) :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 September 2018, 16:27:35 »

Thanks to you all for your input on this one, it is very, very much appreciated!! :-* :-* :-*

It has helped clear my mind on a day away from the car, which will last until Friday.

After all your input I have now sourced a local highly recommendation garage owner, with a fully fitted unit in Ashford who is a classic car enthusiast; he owns a 25 year old car himself and knows Omega's for the great car they are!

He is coming over to see my car, with the plenum off, on Friday afternoon/ evening after he closes his garage.  He is going to give me a labour only price for everything required, which he has already promised will be nothing like what Vx charge (he even could EXACTLY quote what they were going to charge after I gave him my list!!).  He says he can even collect my non-working car if necessary.

Not counting my chickens yet, and the Forums Serek is still a possiblity, but this guy is very local to me and is a lovely guy to talk to who knows what he is doing.  We shall see :D ;)

Thanks again, I feel a lot happier! 8) 8) 8) :y
« Last Edit: 25 September 2018, 16:29:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25 September 2018, 18:27:07 »

If this indy guy works out ok then you will have cracked it Lizzie. I have a real gem in my town and as i can,t work on the Desmond myself he,s saved me a fortune on stealer prices. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 25 September 2018, 18:36:32 »

All the VX oil drain plugs I have seen have been Torx not Alan?
From about 98 onwards they are Torx, with a rubber o-ring. Earlier ones were a traditional bolt and copper washer.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 25 September 2018, 18:37:58 »

although the first odd thing or two was that the Allen key I had to use on the sump plug, and the socket on the oil filter housing, was Imperial sizes
Which shows whomever normally services your car is slapdash, and used odd parts.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 25 September 2018, 18:48:22 »

I can relate to where you're coming from Lizzie.For my cam belt I paid DLK to come over and fit it for me.The oil cooler change I did myself[took me 9hrs :o]now I'm on with changing thermostat,coolant temperature sensor and temperature sender unit.4hrs in and I've got the sensor and sender fitted and also the thermostat itself,just have to wrestle with the transfer pipe now :D and then put it all back together again! Cam cover seals I did some while ago and from memory took me 2hrs start to finish.It's all a bit slow and steady for me as while I still enjoy doing such things the aches and pains do get the better of me,hence the time taken,but I do have the V70 to use while the Omega is "down" for repair so no big rush.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 26 September 2018, 12:43:54 »

I can relate to where you're coming from Lizzie.For my cam belt I paid DLK to come over and fit it for me.The oil cooler change I did myself[took me 9hrs :o]now I'm on with changing thermostat,coolant temperature sensor and temperature sender unit.4hrs in and I've got the sensor and sender fitted and also the thermostat itself,just have to wrestle with the transfer pipe now :D and then put it all back together again! Cam cover seals I did some while ago and from memory took me 2hrs start to finish.It's all a bit slow and steady for me as while I still enjoy doing such things the aches and pains do get the better of me,hence the time taken,but I do have the V70 to use while the Omega is "down" for repair so no big rush.

Thanks! :-* :-* :y

Well Baza, another day and I was all fresh ready to go.  So I have completed the major service part of my maintenance schedule and fitted back everything apart from the dis packs, as I await the rubber sleeves being very kindly sent by Dave the builder, and of course the plenum.  I have fully cleaned the breathers as well.

Just waiting now for, hopefully, my new found garage man locally to quote for what is required in terms of cam belts, etc, and cam cover gaskets. After reviewing the situation this morning, there IS a lot more in the way over the passenger side bank of the engine on this 3.2 compared to the 3.0's I have replaced cam belts on before; don't know why there should be but the design of the covers is different.

It is such a pity that serek and anyone who could help are so far away from me!! :'( :'(

Anyway resting now!! 8) 8) ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #52 on: 26 September 2018, 12:52:21 »

It is such a pity that serek and anyone who could help are so far away from me!! :'( :'(

130 miles, assuming you live in the arse end of MaltaKent.. just a little jaunt.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 26 September 2018, 13:15:49 »

If you want something fixed properly ,the distance is irrelevant if the right man for the job is available and willing. :y

I travelled 250 miles last week to get a 15 year old out of date navigation system fixed.Some may think that's just crazy :D ,but for the right man its only time and a tank of fuel.What the hell :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 September 2018, 13:17:21 »

although the first odd thing or two was that the Allen key I had to use on the sump plug, and the socket on the oil filter housing, was Imperial sizes
Which shows whomever normally services your car is slapdash, and used odd parts.
.. unless it's still a torx. You can always find a size of allen key that fits them - sort of, and while it's on the sump it's difficult to see what you're dealing with .
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 26 September 2018, 13:28:03 »

If you want something fixed properly ,the distance is irrelevant if the right man for the job is available and willing. :y

I travelled 250 miles last week to get a 15 year old out of date navigation system fixed.Some may think that's just crazy :D ,but for the right man its only time and a tank of fuel.What the hell :)

I agree, but my car is not fit to travel now apart from maybe locally (once I get the dispacks, with the rubber sleeves complete, back on) and could do some serious damage with the cam covers leaking over the (new) plugs, now I have broken the seals that was apparently keeping the oil from frying the electrics!  The local man will even collect the car with his breakdown truck.

So my options are very limited, apart from doing it all myself, but frankly at 65 I have had enough of doing all this 5 spanner work!  20, or even 10 years ago I would have got stuck in, even stripping an engine right down, but physically I am past these complex mechanics now.

Thanks for the valuable input though amba :-* :-* :y

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 26 September 2018, 13:44:18 »

You were driving it last week before you started taking things apart ?

You have only removed the 2/4/6 coil pack...found oil inside the plug wells and then discovered the rubber boots are damaged/lost 1.

Put it back together, as it was before, the rubber seal on the coil pack will stop almost all the oil entering the plug area for the shortish drive to Huntingdon and go from there .Worse case is you knacker and already knackered coil pack surely,or have you taken the cam covers off ?

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26 September 2018, 13:50:16 »

When this is all over. Make sure you keep the breathers clean, as this is the cause of all your troubles.  ;)……….apart from the wishbones, obviously.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 26 September 2018, 15:27:46 »

You were driving it last week before you started taking things apart ?

You have only removed the 2/4/6 coil pack...found oil inside the plug wells and then discovered the rubber boots are damaged/lost 1.

Put it back together, as it was before, the rubber seal on the coil pack will stop almost all the oil entering the plug area for the shortish drive to Huntingdon and go from there .Worse case is you knacker and already knackered coil pack surely,or have you taken the cam covers off ?

Oh yes amba, the worst I have ever seen out of all my Omega's!! :o :o :o

But she was driving fine but now, with what others have said about frying the dis packs, I am very reluctant to put the dis packs back on knowing there is THE problem.  I just know I could take it 30 minutes up the road and once the oil is hot and running well one of the dis packs could give up.  Then the AA would have to relay back home, all for what.

No, I will see my the garage guy Chris says as he was very knowledgeable and sympathetic towards Omega's and older cars generally; he seemed to understand fully what was required. He would also get it back to his workshop without risking a drive.

But I will make decisions over the next few days.  Serek is over 2+ hours away up some of the busiest roads, and the Dart toll.  But as I said, it is a great shame he is no closer as it would be a no brainer! If fact none of the OOF mobile mechanic friends are close to my part of Kent!! ;)
« Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 15:41:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 26 September 2018, 15:48:59 »

But I will make decisions over the next few days.  Serek is over 2+ hours away up some of the busiest roads, and the Dart toll.  But as I said, it is a great shame he is no closer as it would be a no brainer! If fact none of the OOF mobile mechanic friends are close to my part of Kent!! ;)

You're only twenty minutes away......
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.