Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hamster fed  (Read 12033 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Hamster fed
« Reply #90 on: 09 December 2018, 10:05:06 »

OOF seemed a bit slow earlier, so I just assumed the hamster in its yellow jacket had escaped and was rioting in Paris all weekend. ::) ::) ::)
We're currently back on SAS spinny drives for a bit, following a controller glitch on the SSDs (which are SATA)

Scratch chin, why would SSDs make a difference as I would expect the reverse with slower HDDs with possible queue buffer overflow?
It looked like the SATA controller lockup, rather than the SSD, but hard to prove, hence having non critical stuff on the SATA SSDs to get confidence back. Some of HPE's firmwares over the past couple of years do leave a lot to be desired :(

So we're on the SAS controllers, well away from anything SATA, for a bit.  None of the SAS stuff has shown any issues.

We do not use SATA hard drives, because they are universally rubbish when it comes to performance - I guarantee if I swapped out the SAS for SATA, we'd see disk latencies measured in seconds, once the caches were exhausted.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 09 December 2018, 13:26:31 »

OOF seemed a bit slow earlier, so I just assumed the hamster in its yellow jacket had escaped and was rioting in Paris all weekend. ::) ::) ::)
We're currently back on SAS spinny drives for a bit, following a controller glitch on the SSDs (which are SATA)

Scratch chin, why would SSDs make a difference as I would expect the reverse with slower HDDs with possible queue buffer overflow?
It looked like the SATA controller lockup, rather than the SSD, but hard to prove, hence having non critical stuff on the SATA SSDs to get confidence back. Some of HPE's firmwares over the past couple of years do leave a lot to be desired :(

So we're on the SAS controllers, well away from anything SATA, for a bit.  None of the SAS stuff has shown any issues.

We do not use SATA hard drives, because they are universally rubbish when it comes to performance - I guarantee if I swapped out the SAS for SATA, we'd see disk latencies measured in seconds, once the caches were exhausted.

Keep talking sexy TB; send in the wonderful SAS they will usually win through and resolve all issues! :D :D :D ;)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 09 December 2018, 19:40:58 »

Keep talking sexy TB; send in the wonderful SAS they will usually win through and resolve all issues! :D :D :D ;)

You have a strange definition of sexy .

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 09 December 2018, 19:50:18 »

You have a strange definition of sexy .

Probably :D :D ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 09 December 2018, 20:04:06 »

The S.A.S would blow up the internet box :o
then where would we be  :-\
No Chinese tat deliveries off ebay , in fact, NO the OOF even  :(

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 09 December 2018, 20:30:56 »

I have been thinking about the internet recently and weighing up the good and bad things about it. I have decided on balance that overall it probably hasn't been a good thing for humanity and we were probably better off before we had it.  :)
Tin hat on.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 09 December 2018, 20:38:47 »

We all probably got a lot more done, and didn't have as much 'stuff' cluttering up our homes!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 09 December 2018, 22:37:30 »

I have been thinking about the internet recently and weighing up the good and bad things about it. I have decided on balance that overall it probably hasn't been a good thing for humanity and we were probably better off before we had it.  :)
Tin hat on.  ;D
Work would be crap without it... Playing by yourself all night would cause you all kinds of problems... Or worse yet, having to actually do summat :o
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 09 December 2018, 23:22:27 »

I would have to buy a lot more books to read.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 10 December 2018, 18:16:13 »

Tin hat on.  ;D
I do feel that social media, particularly things along the lines of Arsebook and Twotter, are the cancer of modern society.
Grumpy old man

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 11 December 2018, 18:44:28 »

Lizzies' disappointment is when TB's talking about floppy drives. :D :D ;D
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 11 December 2018, 19:14:47 »

Lizzies' disappointment is when TB's talking about floppy drives. :D :D ;D

Yes Rod, when he does that the interest diminishes greatly! :o :o :D ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #102 on: 12 December 2018, 08:53:14 »

Tin hat on.  ;D
I do feel that social media, particularly things along the lines of Arsebook and Twotter, are the cancer of modern society.

I don't think they are really anything new - there were BBSes before them and real-world social networks before that.. it's just that the barrier to entry has been lowered to "everyone".

So maybe it's not them that are the cancer on society. Maybe it's just humans.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 12 December 2018, 15:42:27 »

The invention by German Gutenberg of the printing press caused similar problems in Europe where it was seen as the age of enlightenment with the increased printing of text for literature and a new age for everyone. Instead Luther harnessed it for political religious change so instead you got unrest, the Protestant Reformation and the triggering of the 30 years war, the deadliest religious war in history. :o :o :o

Russia's & China's use & abuse might trigger the same but we aren't there yet. ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.