Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Root and Branch rail review  (Read 2480 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Root and Branch rail review
« on: 20 September 2018, 13:59:17 »

It is years since I last went on a UK train. I wanted to get from an airport to Scarborough last year but gave up.

I followed the intro of the new timetable debacle with interest.  It appears today that " No-one took charge during the timetable chaos that caused severe disruption on Britain's railways in May, a regulator has said."  surely that is Grayling's fault or his predecessor?  Someone must have given the go ahead within the industry. there must have been a project manager? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45572736

Anyway the government have announced a root and branch review of the fragmented rail industry. maybe Corbyn is right that it should be taken back into public ownership (slightly different , I suspect to renationalised). Without wishing to bring in the dreaded B word, one of the criticisms levelled by expats on the Uk is the parlous state of UK public services which , despite the country being mega rich, seem to be being run into the ground. Is this general lack of investment austerity or a deliberate policy to help cronies get richer at the expense of the populace?.

I dare say that if there is a root and branch review of the trains that they could do worse than to have some OOfers as their consultants. Lizzie and The Boy spring to mind but there are plenty of others! 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Root and Branch rail review
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2018, 14:09:27 »

I will gladly sort out the mess, Varche, since I am the Transport Minister elect in TB's administration. Lizzie can be the "Edwina Curry" figure!  :y 8)

Ron.

(Hiding.....)

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2018, 15:17:10 »

I will gladly sort out the mess, Varche, since I am the Transport Minister elect in TB's administration. Lizzie can be the "Edwina Curry" figure!  :y 8)

Ron.

(Hiding.....)

so who will be John Major?

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 September 2018, 16:41:04 »

It is years since I last went on a UK train. I wanted to get from an airport to Scarborough last year but gave up.

I followed the intro of the new timetable debacle with interest.  It appears today that " No-one took charge during the timetable chaos that caused severe disruption on Britain's railways in May, a regulator has said."  surely that is Grayling's fault or his predecessor?  Someone must have given the go ahead within the industry. there must have been a project manager? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45572736

Anyway the government have announced a root and branch review of the fragmented rail industry. maybe Corbyn is right that it should be taken back into public ownership (slightly different , I suspect to renationalised). Without wishing to bring in the dreaded B word, one of the criticisms levelled by expats on the Uk is the parlous state of UK public services which , despite the country being mega rich, seem to be being run into the ground. Is this general lack of investment austerity or a deliberate policy to help cronies get richer at the expense of the populace?.

I dare say that if there is a root and branch review of the trains that they could do worse than to have some OOfers as their consultants. Lizzie and The Boy spring to mind but there are plenty of others!

Oh, I would really love to do that.  But, do not underestimate the magnitude of the task.  The truth is that after decades of politicians of all colours failing to invest in the oldest railway system in the world, the current government is at last doing just that, to the tune of billions of pounds.

Our Victorian railway system is now being virtually rebuilt; steam went out of service 50 years ago last August, but no real progress was made with the infrastructure. Bits and pieces were slotted in but changes were slow and disjointed.  Everyone is complaining now because so much change, and bad management, has happened almost, in relation to the railways history, at once.  When you rip stations apart, rebuild bridges, modernise track and dramatically improve the signalling systems, introduce brand new rolling stock, there will be difficulties no matter how good the planing and managerial competence.

Yes, mistakes have been made, the new timetable was compiled with obvious flaws, and poor punctuality coupled with "no show" trains are happening.  But who can make an omelette without breaking eggs?  The engineering challenge of what is being achieved is enormous, and throughout the first 80 years of our railways it was as well.  Currently the railways are being rebuilt to a degree that would even challenge the great railway engineers of the past.

What is needed now is strong central management (not involving any politician!!) to pull everything together and just MANAGE the railways as the best of the railway companies did (NOT BR) before 1939; no that is no mistake with the date as the big four railway companies lost true control well before 1st January1948.  During the war years the politicians did terrible damage to the railways by never paying the true cost of all the tens of thousands of extra train movements that led to worn out locomotives, rolling stock, track, and signalling, let alone the loss of thousands of skilled railwaymen who went off to fight.

A new approach is now required to manage the big change.  It is not going to be TB's approach that is required though; he would close down the railways today!! :o :o ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 20 September 2018, 16:42:37 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 September 2018, 16:57:43 »

Who would be your "John Major", Lizzie?
As TB's Minister for Transport, I would be happy to have you work with me to overhaul the rail network completely and make it fit for purpose.
How about adopting Brunel's 7' 1/2" gauge? A lot of work there!  :o :y

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 September 2018, 17:07:29 »

Who would be your "John Major", Lizzie?
As TB's Minister for Transport,
I would be happy to have you work with me to overhaul the rail network completely and make it fit for purpose.
How about adopting Brunel's 7' 1/2" gauge? A lot of work there!  :o :y

Ron.

No politician, or TB, should be involved in what is required. I would require true railway people around me who can truly 'manage' ;)

Brunel's gauge was actually 7 foot 1/4 inch, and regrettably now cannot be reserected for all the reasons given by the 1845 Railway Gauge Commission's decision.  Although we MAY be leaving the EU, we still need to have a direct railway link with Europe. :D ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 September 2018, 17:52:49 »

To reply to Varche's original post, are foreigners aware of how few public utilities are still public? And are they aware that the private owners have treated the last 40 years worth of under-investment as a half-arsed attempt?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2018, 18:02:13 »

I don't know about foreigners. My suspicion is they know as much about the UK as Brits know about any country that does not speak English.

As an expat, I try and keep tabs on things back in the homeland.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2018, 18:09:51 »

What the Railways need is a successful , forward thinking businessman , perhaps someone like Richard Branson , to buy a franchise and run it profitably and show the world how it's done , err hang on a minute  ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2018, 18:45:20 »

To reply to Varche's original post, are foreigners aware of how few public utilities are still public? And are they aware that the private owners have treated the last 40 years worth of under-investment as a half-arsed attempt?

British Railways only became privatised 24 years ago, in 1994, and the public still own the track, stations, etc, under the banner of Network Rail  ;)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2018, 18:53:55 »

Best not let Lizzie get started on trains...... especially steam trains like the Mallard. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2018, 19:13:25 »

Why not, Doctor? The Mallard is truly iconic and represents one of out finest achievements. 8) 8) 8) :y

Ron.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 September 2018, 19:24:10 »

Yes because they bought them all!  ::)  >:(  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 September 2018, 19:30:40 »

How else could they ( we) keep our utilty prices down! ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 September 2018, 19:57:39 »

If you look at French SNCF debt it has been eye watering at times and the French government keeps writing off big chunks of it with Macron writing off another €37bn. :o Spain have had massive infrastructure subsidies from the EU which has included their roads, railways and regional airports.

We are a net contributor to the EU to the tune of £13bn per year. Hopefully with a Canada+++ or no deal this will stop in March 2019 and can be used in the UK with some of it spent on infrastructure. :y What must be remembered under Liebour recent 13 years, virtually all instructure investment stopped. What Gordon McRuin called 'investment in public services' was nothing of the sort as most of it went on increased running costs through excessive wage rises, increased staff numbers with a considerable increase in non-jobs and indirect subsidies to their union bosses like common purpose courses, full time union reps. paid out of public funds etc., etc. What little infrastructure improvements that were made were through incredibly bad value PFI borrowing schemes, which we are still paying eye watering amounts for. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.