Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snapped wheel stud  (Read 520 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Snapped wheel stud
« on: 30 July 2014, 16:58:21 »

I've got a front hub off my old C250 which has a couple of snapped studs in it courtesy of a tyre shop!  >:(

Anyway I've got it in the vice and I'm trying to get them out.  I've drilled through but unfortunately I've drilled them a bit scew-wiff so I can't use a bigger drill without damaging the threads on the hub.  ::)

There's not enough of the stud protruding to get purchase on with molegrips or anything, so I was wondering about getting a set of easyouts.  These are cheap and might be good enough for a one off?  :-\

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-PIECE-PCE-DAMGED-SCREW-EXTRACTOR-CASE-BOLT-SCREW-STUD-REMOVER-EASY-OUT-/120970567505?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1c2a685f51

The other way I've thought of is to heat up the hub with a blow torch and try a slightly bigger drill from the back?  :-\

Any thoughts chaps?  ::)  :y

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

Re: Snapped wheel stud
« Reply #1 on: 30 July 2014, 17:02:32 »

Don't use the easy-outs which are anything but.  Especially at that price! You're guaranteed to snap one off in there and then your only option is something like spark erosion (been there, done that, got the t-shirt!).

If you've drilled off-centre then you might be lucky and you can 'punch' the remainder away from the side of the hole with a small screwdriver?  I've done that before when I got the drilling part all wrong...

aaronjb

« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2014, 17:05:12 »

In fact, here's the last thing I remove that way - OK it was a plain hole but the same theory applies:

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 July 2014, 17:11:26 »

No I don't think I'll be able to punch it away as I didn't drill out enough material...  :(  That was my plan though before I fooked it up!  ::)  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 July 2014, 17:31:51 »

I've got a front hub off my old C250 which has a couple of snapped studs in it  ....

Do you mean bolts?  :-\ If bolts, you're on the right lines, but having made a horlicks of it so far  ::)  ::)  ::) you might be better taking the hub to a local machine shop where they can drill/mill out the remnant without buggering up the original thread assuming the original thread isn't stretched/stripped beyond use.
If you actually meant studs, then they're held in pace via a splined taper so a pin punch & large knocking stick is all you need to drift them out.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 July 2014, 17:38:25 »

Bolts Andy yes!  ::)  ;D

I just had another go and have managed to run another couple of drills through and have got it fairly thin on one side but still can't shift it with a chisel or screwdriver.  ::)

The machine shop is a good idea, but it's not worth spending any money as I was planning on ebaying it to get rid.  :y

Didn't think about stretched threads....  :-\

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2014, 19:08:29 »

try welding some piece ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.