Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More SORN grief  (Read 1408 times)

powerslinky

More SORN grief
« on: 31 July 2014, 20:58:08 »

Right DVLA  are at it again .

Brought my 3.2 elite mid June .  So went & collected it paid the guy . V5 was all in order. As it says on V5 , (the DVLA's

instruction) the registered owner/seller fills in date of sale , new owner/keeper puts in his details, then seller gives the new

keeper the small green part of the V5 & the seller is required to send off the V5 to DVLA Swansea.

sorry to rerpeat but  . . .the DVLA tell the seller to do this as stated on the V5

Between us we filled in the relevant change over parts as required . He gave me the car , MOT, left short tax on it & gave

me the small green part of the V5.

V5 will posted to DVLA tomorrow he says  :y . . . great says me .

OK, so 2 weeks later the  tax runs out end of June so having not yet recieved the new V5  in my name  . .  I sent off a

SORN form which I downloaded . It says "please tick the appropriate box"  the box I ticked was  " The V5 has already been

submitted to register the vehicle in my name " . . . which under DVLA's instruction the previous owner should have done .

Anyway , have now had a letter from DVLA saying I am NOT  shown on their records as the registered keeper of the vehicle

& we are therefore unable to deal with Sorn Application :o :o  . . . If the previous keeper has passed the Registration

certificate (V5) to you , (Ah excuse me , why would the previous keeper pass it on to me when you tell them NOT TO.)

please fill in the changes section & return to us with a SORN notice form.

BUT . . . and it carries on  . .  . if you do NOT have the  V5 , please fill in the enclosed application for a vehicle registration certificate (fee applicable  £25 ) & return it with the fill in V890 (thats the Sorn  form)

SO . .  they tell the seller not to give the buyer the full V5  & if the seller does NOT do as they instruct & send it off to DVLA

The poor old buyer /new owner has to stump up 25 quid to get himself a new V5 in his name

Someone please agree with me that this is absolute "Bollo"   >:( >:( >:( >:(

Whats your opinions fellas & gals of course  :-\ :-\

Sorry it's a long one but  . . .  I feel the poor old motorist is being shafted yet again here  >:( >:( >:( >:(

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: More SORN grief
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2014, 21:08:23 »

You do not need to pay the fee if you have the small green new owner part.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

powerslinky

« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2014, 21:14:34 »

You do not need to pay the fee if you have the small green new owner part.

Great but where does it say that then  . . .   it says a £25 fee is payable on the DVLA's letter to me  :-\

Better call them tomorrow I guess

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2014, 21:26:47 »

I'd get on to the seller to find out when he sent the V5 off and you can tax the car with the Green slip!  :y

If he took his time to send off the V5 and it's not yet registered in your name then you havn't got any worries SORNwise.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

powerslinky

« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2014, 21:34:01 »

I'd get on to the seller to find out when he sent the V5 off and you can tax the car with the Green slip! :y

If he took his time to send off the V5 and it's not yet registered in your name then you havn't got any worries SORNwise.  ;)

Don't want to tax it Tigger . .  it's my project car  .  .just want to sorn it ;)

I got on to the seller when the DVLA letter arrived ,  he said he'd overlooked sending it  but would send it to me direct &  I

can send it off. That way I would know for sure it's been sent to DVLA.  That was 10 days ago  . . . still nothing arrived here

& now can't get him to answer his phone >:( >:(

As said will call DVLA tomorrow & tell them i have the green slip  . . .see if that makes any difference  :-\ :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2014, 21:43:49 »

Well if it's not registered in your name then your not going to get prosecuted for not SORNing it! So nothing to get immediately stressed about IMO Al!  ;)

I'm guessing that the car is kept on private land and you have the receipt to prove ownership?  The V5 is really proof of who is responsible for it and not proof of ownership.  ;)

Any fines etc will go to the self-abuser who sold it to you!  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2014, 22:26:05 »

Some clarity...

The seller is responsible for informing the DVLA of the change of keeper
The buyer is responsible for everything else, but only once the DVLA has recieved the original change of details

Your only solution Al, is to go to the Post Office tomorrow and tax the car using the green slip along with a new keeper form. This way you will get the new V5 in your name with your address.

Then, once the new V5 has arrived, then you can SORN it :y

Sure, it will cost you one months tax, but it does clearly and cleanly solve your problem...

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2014, 00:20:19 »

Will DVLA summons the seller for not sending in the old V5c  ???

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2014, 00:39:58 »

Shame you didn't take a photo copy of the filled out log book when you bought the car (or take a picture) that way you would have had the document ref no, so if the seller cant be arsed to send it away you could have sorned it online with the Doc ref No.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2014, 00:45:59 »

Will DVLA summons the seller for not sending in the old V5c  ???
Tough shit... should have posted it ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2014, 00:56:22 »

It's pretty dumb not sending in the V5 pronto when you sell a vehicle, as Al could have been racking up parking and speeding tickets and they'd all be landing on the sellers doormat!  ;D

Which could be rectified if he has a copy of the receipt with Al's name, address and signature, but it would cause him a lot of aggro!  ::)  ;)

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2014, 18:26:21 »

Right all sorted now  8)

Called them & the DVLA say that the £25 fee is not applicable in this case as the seller has failed to send on the old V5 to them and  as I hold the new keepers part of the old V5 (The green part).

I now have to fill in the V62 & send it off with the green part of the V5 & a newly filled in SORN form .

Fingers crossed  ::) ::)

Was not at all clear though from their letter . .  guess that most people would just send off the 25 quid  ::)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2014, 19:17:20 »

Right all sorted now  8)

Called them & the DVLA say that the £25 fee is not applicable in this case as the seller has failed to send on the old V5 to them and  as I hold the new keepers part of the old V5 (The green part).

I now have to fill in the V62 & send it off with the green part of the V5 & a newly filled in SORN form .

Was not at all clear though from their letter . .  guess that most people would just send off the 25 quid  ::)

Photocopy it before you send it off.  ;)

powerslinky

« Reply #13 on: 02 August 2014, 07:24:37 »

Right all sorted now  8)

Photocopy it before you send it off.  ;)

Of course  . . .already copied Tig . . :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.