Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nice tin tent  (Read 1702 times)

omega3000

Nice tin tent
« on: 31 July 2014, 22:21:19 »

Ahrrr looking for tin tents is as frustrating as looking for cars but this one is nice  :) Pity its out my price range but sure its very good value , weighing up if to splash out and get a nice one or get a bargain base one and do it up  ::)

Luxury tin tent  :y

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: Nice tin tent
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2014, 22:35:09 »

Thats a lovely caravan for sure...

Ours was a bargain basement model Lunar Delta 560-4 which I got for a swap of a few car parts LOL

It needed work, but is all OK and everything works on it, no leaks (not anymore) and is dry and warm...

Going on our 3rd holiday away in it again this weekend :) cant wait, might as well use it as much as we can I reckon...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

omega3000

« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2014, 22:38:09 »

There is a cheap one going quite near , i think it will need stripping out and starting again but at least then any underlying problems can be sorted and made good .. damp is the main concern but going back to bare bones this can be sorted  :y

I remember Entwood saying at the Billing meet , "i want a caravan where i can have a shave without banging my head on something"  ;D The smaller ones seem to be a little tight in the bathrooms  :(
« Last Edit: 31 July 2014, 22:40:54 by Emd »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2014, 22:44:59 »

If your looking at spending that sort of cash, then have a think about the auctions. I'm pretty sure that BCA have caravan auctions now and again where they sell finance repossessions.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2014, 22:47:19 »

If your looking at spending that sort of cash, then have a think about the auctions. I'm pretty sure that BCA have caravan auctions now and again where they sell finance repossessions:y

Well you know me , out for a bargain  ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2014, 22:49:37 »

I doubt you'll get one for 99p though.  :-\  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2014, 22:50:33 »

I had to replace 2 walls including the window frames and insulation, the ceiling was also fubar so that also got replaced along with the insulation too...

The 'proper' caravan decorative ply thats supposed to be used I found very expensive, so I used 3mm ply for the walls, 20mm jablight flooring polystyrene material bought from a local builders supliers and the ply was covered with wallpaper :)

There was a lot of work needed for it to be used properly as the fella I got it from let it go to rot, I knew there would be quite a bit of work needed for us to use it, but in the end it was worth the hard work I reckon...

We also got a full size awning (Isabella Capri) which I swapped for a set of Saab alloys I had knocking around... they only stood me at £40 so was happy too swap them for a £800 awning LOL

The Miggy pulls the caravan no problem thanks to it weighing only 1040Kg unladen and 1400Kg fully laden, the only problem Iv found is the MPG really suffers if we find a hill as the MID then tells me the car is doing 8MPG....!!!!! LOL

This is our first caravan that we've owned but we're not new to caravanning as both mine and my wifes parents both had a caravan so we're used to how they are .....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2014, 22:52:10 »

I doubt you'll get one for 99p though.  :-\  ;D
I know someone who blagged a portacabin for the cost of delivery 8) it was neither habitable, nor water tight though ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2014, 22:53:26 »

I had to replace 2 walls including the window frames and insulation, the ceiling was also fubar so that also got replaced along with the insulation too...

The 'proper' caravan decorative ply thats supposed to be used I found very expensive, so I used 3mm ply for the walls, 20mm jablight flooring polystyrene material bought from a local builders supliers and the ply was covered with wallpaper :)

There was a lot of work needed for it to be used properly as the fella I got it from let it go to rot, I knew there would be quite a bit of work needed for us to use it, but in the end it was worth the hard work I reckon...

We also got a full size awning (Isabella Capri) which I swapped for a set of Saab alloys I had knocking around... they only stood me at £40 so was happy too swap them for a £800 awning LOL

The Miggy pulls the caravan no problem thanks to it weighing only 1040Kg unladen and 1400Kg fully laden, the only problem Iv found is the MPG really suffers if we find a hill as the MID then tells me the car is doing 8MPG....!!!!! LOL

This is our first caravan that we've owned but we're not new to caravanning as both mine and my wifes parents both had a caravan so we're used to how they are .....
That might be the plated weight but can you be sure that it still weighs that with different materials :-\

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2014, 22:58:30 »

Words of encouragement there minifreek  ;) If i go for the cheap one ill be doing as you did sourcing the cheaper materials .. dont think it will be ready for this season but a nice job for the winter months and take my time repairing it  :)

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2014, 23:04:03 »

Iv actually made it lighter TBH, as Iv removed a few heavy items which aren't needed, such as a very heavy original canvas awning, replaced with a lighter weight awning...

The materials Iv used to replace walls and insulation etc... are lighter in weight than the original manufacturers materials...

Iv also removed the heavy window blackout blinds/fly screens and they have been replaced with pull down blinds...

We also only carry 1 gas bottle as opposed to the statutory 2 bottles...

I wont estimate how much has actually been removed but its quite a bit of heavy stuff Iv removed and taken to the tip.

The trailer was filled 3 times just with crap and materials removed from the caravan, so there was quite a bit removed.

The materials Iv used to repair was modern and a lot more lightweight than the original was, especially the wall coverings that the manufacturer used originally....
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

4x4

« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2014, 23:06:26 »

Might have to get the big boy toys out to play then Emd,got circular saw,jigsaws,baby and big day angle grinders,and planner if you need to borrow them :)

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2014, 23:08:55 »

I guess its the window seals and shower seals that cause most of the damp then , rip out all the rot/replace then seal properly  :y

Might have to get the big boy toys out to play then Emd,got circular saw,jigsaws,baby and big day angle grinders,and planner if you need to borrow them :)

:y

And a few buckets of sealant to get the tub ship shape  :)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2014, 23:10:53 by Emd »

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2014, 23:13:50 »

Bringing it home from Shropshire :)

And home before work commenced :)

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2014, 23:16:40 »

Looks a decent size caravan that  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.