Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jaguar XKR Test Drive  (Read 1561 times)

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
Jaguar XKR Test Drive
« on: 01 August 2014, 08:19:23 »

I loved the look of this car ever since it was launched in 2006. It was my dream to own one and now production has just ended, I thought I had better act. Earlier this year I had sold a much loved classic E-Type and thought it was time I upgraded my 14 year old Omega anyway. So I picked up a brand new XK Supercharged car on Friday for an overnight test drive. In black it looked fabulous (though shame about the beige interior).

I knew there would be compromises with a car like this but sadly, there were too many. I was disappointed.  I am 6ft 2 and could not get the seat set to be comfortable position despite all the options. Push it back too far and the back started tipping forward. Visibility was poor. The rear seats are nothing more than decoration. I had hoped my 13 year old could squeeze in the back for the odd trip but no chance. The roofline is way to low in the back seat area to get anyone in let alone have legroom. Driving around town at slow speed was difficult as the throttle response was brutal. Not much interior space; I only just managed to squeeze my suitcase in the boot and had to stuff my carry-on bag in the passenger footwell.

It was incredibly fast though - my wife said it felt like being on a rollercoaster. Fuel consumption averaged 20mpg which is not bad for the 50 miles or so I drove it, the way I drove it.

handing the keys back to the dealer I wondered how I would feel getting back into the Omega. Actually it felt great. Comfy, easy to drive, great all round visibility. loads of space and plenty quick enough. A £70,000 car versus a £150 car. 

Rog

Re: Jaguar XKR Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2014, 08:46:40 »

. . . . . . oh, right. I'll cancel my order for a couple of them then   ;D

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2014, 10:06:11 »

Get yourself a Phaeton, pipe, slippers and bus pass in no particular order.

You will be amazed at the comfort and drive if not the flash exterior.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2014, 12:01:41 »

My mate has an XKR and I took it out for an afternoon once!  :y  Very very nice car, great acceleration and it stuck to the road like a sticky turd!  :y :y :y

Not really my cup of tea to be honest but it was a very enjoyable afternoon out and a great driving experience!  :y :y :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2014, 14:14:16 »

My mate has an XKR and I took it out for an afternoon once!  :y  Very very nice car, great acceleration and it stuck to the road like a sticky turd!  :y :y :y

Not really my cup of tea to be honest but it was a very enjoyable afternoon out and a great driving experience!  :y :y :y

Do you have experience of taking a dump in the street, Sir Tig?...... ::) ::) ;)

Rog

« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2014, 14:20:22 »

Do you have experience of taking a dump in the street, Sir Tig?...... ::) ::) ;)

I wonder if Paula Radcliffe drives one    ::)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2014, 15:48:17 »

Was one of the cars I was considering to replace my Elite - tried a couple, but SWMBO was deffinately unimpressed - so ended up with the XJ.

To drive I preferred the XKR, particulary comparing it with my old 3.8 E-type ;D ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2014, 15:56:10 »

Not yet M'lud, but I've been close a few times!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2014, 17:33:18 »

£70,000 puts a lot of desirable metal at your disposal. :y

I know I'd regret it but I could be seduced by a Maserati Quattroporte if I were to find myself in your position. :y

MarkG

• Northwich, Cheshire
  • "An Omega? Been a while since I saw one of those!"
    • 2000 CD 2.5 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2014, 17:49:20 »

I was never really in the market for a new one. I would have been looking at 5 year old 5 Litre (current version) which are now around the £30k mark. I notice the car I drove is up on autotrader right now

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406054776432/sort/locasc/postcode/cw98hb/model/xk/advert-type/Classified/page/1/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/jaguar/radius/1500?logcode=p

I still think the XK looks fabulous

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2014, 17:55:02 »

I was never really in the market for a new one. I would have been looking at 5 year old 5 Litre (current version) which are now around the £30k mark. I notice the car I drove is up on autotrader right now

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406054776432/sort/locasc/postcode/cw98hb/model/xk/advert-type/Classified/page/1/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_2_years_old/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/make/jaguar/radius/1500?logcode=p

If I had to suffer one ..That one would do. :y

Rog

« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2014, 18:36:44 »

I quite like them in general, but that one I find a bit, well "bling". Not for me  :o

omega3000

« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2014, 18:59:11 »

The best colour and if i had mr optis money it would be on the drive now  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 August 2014, 19:18:05 »

The best colour and if i had mr optis money it would be on the drive now  ::)

If you had Mr Opti's money you would have a red Trabant on your drive. :'( :'(

It's not nice being poor. :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.