Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan reversing lights ?  (Read 4141 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan reversing lights ?
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2014, 19:13:10 »

Is that necessary ? I thought the internal caravan battery would be enough to keep the fridge running on tickover  :-\ Then when you get to the caravan site you hook up to the mains  :-\

Your fridge is wired up to be powered from the car when the engine's running, there's no supply from the caravan fridge and also the 'split' part of the name is to split the car & caravan battery from each other unless the car engine is running, otherwise you can end up with 2 half flat batteries, neither of which will start your car. On 12 volts, IIRC the fridge draws about 10 amps, the caravan battery won't last long supplying 10 amps before it's flatter than flat if it could supply it. The other alternative is to not wire it up, make sure your fridge is cold on mains/gas before you set off and go to a site within the defrost time of your fridge  ;) Having said that, as long as the door is left shut, it'll stay cold for a while.  :y

omega3000

« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2014, 19:24:05 »

Is that necessary ? I thought the internal caravan battery would be enough to keep the fridge running on tickover  :-\ Then when you get to the caravan site you hook up to the mains  :-\

Your fridge is wired up to be powered from the car when the engine's running, there's no supply from the caravan fridge and also the 'split' part of the name is to split the car & caravan battery from each other unless the car engine is running, otherwise you can end up with 2 half flat batteries, neither of which will start your car. On 12 volts, IIRC the fridge draws about 10 amps, the caravan battery won't last long supplying 10 amps before it's flatter than flat if it could supply it. The other alternative is to not wire it up, make sure your fridge is cold on mains/gas before you set off and go to a site within the defrost time of your fridge  ;) Having said that, as long as the door is left shut, it'll stay cold for a while.  :y

:o

I see , like the link says ..

When the engine is started, the relay detects the higher voltage from the alternator and will then switch to allow charge to go through to the leisure battery.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2014, 19:36:04 »

I see , like the link says ..

When the engine is started, the relay detects the higher voltage from the alternator and will then switch to allow charge to go through to the leisure battery. ....

Exactly.  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2014, 19:38:07 »

Apologies for a slight hijack, but might be relevant :-\

Can the wiring for the 12N and 12S sockets be combined into a single13pin one? Thinking of fitting the single socket rather than the double and an adaptor lead...

Would a new 13pin socket include the terminal layout to facilitate this :-\

Yes to both. I wired the Omega as a single 13 pin so I could hide the electrics easier on the detachable towbar. It was as easy to rewire the caravan to a single 13 core cable & a 13 pin plug to match  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2014, 20:00:12 »

Apologies for a slight hijack, but might be relevant :-\

Can the wiring for the 12N and 12S sockets be combined into a single13pin one? Thinking of fitting the single socket rather than the double and an adaptor lead...

Would a new 13pin socket include the terminal layout to facilitate this :-\

Yes to both. I wired the Omega as a single 13 pin so I could hide the electrics easier on the detachable towbar. It was as easy to rewire the caravan to a single 13 core cable & a 13 pin plug to match  :y
8)

omega3000

« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2014, 20:36:49 »

Can i fit two 12N's .. whats the difference as they are both 7 wire  ???

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2014, 20:52:07 »

The sockets on the car are different from each other so you don't get them mixed up...

You'll find that a 12N socket won't allow a 12S plug to be fitted into it and vice versa... they are also different colours for the same purpose...

You dont need reverse lights as a legal requirement, plus reverse lights on a caravan are pretty damn useless anyway...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

omega3000

« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2014, 20:53:41 »

The sockets on the car are different from each other so you don't get them mixed up...

You'll find that a 12N socket won't allow a 12S plug to be fitted into it and vice versa... they are also different colours for the same purpose...

You dont need reverse lights as a legal requirement, plus reverse lights on a caravan are pretty damn useless anyway...

Got ya  ;) Amazing how reversing lights not a legal requirement ..

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2014, 22:11:43 »

Got ya  ;) Amazing how reversing lights not a legal requirement ..

I'm not sure they're a legal requirement to be fitted to a car either ...... Mr MOT Man doesn't test them.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2014, 22:13:55 »

Where's the head in its hands smilie?  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

As minifreak says, they're different colours & different orientation of male/female pins inside each of them so you can't plug the wrong plug in.

omega3000

« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2014, 22:23:38 »

Where's the head in its hands smilie?  ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

As minifreak says, they're different colours & different orientation of male/female pins inside each of them so you can't plug the wrong plug in.

Im learning all the time andy  :-[ Im sure ill be back with some wondrous caravan internal electrical queries  ;D :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2014, 22:39:08 »

Im learning all the time andy  :-[ Im sure ill be back with some wondrous caravan internal electrical queries  ;D :D

;D
I'll wait for the 'what's a habitation relay' thread  ;D ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2014, 22:48:41 »

;D

There is a little trimming screw on the relay  :P :P :P :P

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2014, 08:57:43 »

;D

That's on the voltage sensing relay  ;) ;) ;)

omega3000

« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2014, 16:12:01 »

;D

That's on the voltage sensing relay  ;) ;) ;)

Thats stumped me  :-[ I know what the voltage sensing relay does so whats the habitation relay  ???
Next thing you will be saying i need a solar panel  ;D :-X
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.