Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any ideas?  (Read 1704 times)

Leomas

• Intermediate Member
  • Boyne Valley (on loan)
  • Ooops what did I break this time?
    • View Profile
Any ideas?
« on: 30 January 2009, 11:04:40 »

Firstly I don't know if this is the right section so Admins feel free to move it.....

I have been wanting to build a trike for a looooong time now but after continually failing to find someone willing to build the chassis for me I am going to have to do it myself so...
I have been told that car chassis 'members' are only fairly low guage steel and I am using the front end of a Rover as it will be a 'tadpole' trike so a cradle for the engine and then a simple spine back to the rear wheel. Making it easy for myself I was planning to use simple box section with cut'n'weld webbed corners rather than bending.
How thin a wall do you think I can use for the box as the thinner it is, the lower rating I can get away with on the welding kit?

ps  Volunteer welders welcomed if only to show me what I will undoubtedly be doing wrong
Recently 'learned up' and being more careful now, honestly.
Ummm except for where I fix one thing and break something else

HolyCount

Re: Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2009, 12:33:41 »

If you are interested I have a set of trike plans / drawings I bought back in 2003 for a car engine powered trike ( m/cycle front end). Am happy to send them on as I will never get round to using them. LMK

Leomas

• Intermediate Member
  • Boyne Valley (on loan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2009, 13:25:46 »

Thanks for that but I'm building "That's not a trike"....

Rover engine/complete front end/front wheel drive (yes folks, two wheels at the front)
Automatic transmission (OK so I'm lazy, anything to remove the need for foot pedals)
LPG

Seen a few car-engined trikes and they all seemed to have the same issue with the gear lever sticking up in the way and from there they just got ugly. If my concept works it will be stunning and suitable for anyone to ride (disabled capable, hand controls only...possibly even with wheelchair if I could rig the floor properly) and if it doesn't then it will never see the light of day and all evidence will be destroyed.
« Last Edit: 30 January 2009, 13:27:02 by Leomas »

stuart30

« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2009, 16:11:18 »

Rover engine/complete front end/front wheel drive (yes folks, two wheels at the front)
Automatic transmission (OK so I'm lazy, anything to remove the need for foot pedals)
LPG

Seen a few car-engined trikes and they all seemed to have the same issue with the gear lever sticking up in the way and from there they just got ugly. If my concept works it will be stunning and suitable for anyone to ride (disabled capable, hand controls only...possibly even with wheelchair if I could rig the floor properly) and if it doesn't then it will never see the light of day and all evidence will be destroyed.

So it has 4 wheels then.....?

I do believe there called quads... ;D :y

HolyCount

« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2009, 16:15:00 »

LPG

So it has 4 wheels then.....?

I do believe there called quads... ;D :y

No -- what he is talking about is a reverse trike -- 2 driven wheels at the front and a trailing wheel at the back ... Lomax style

Leomas

• Intermediate Member
  • Boyne Valley (on loan)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2009, 17:36:08 »

Yup, also known as a tadpole....figured that if it was good enough for Morgan...
Also makes putting bodywork on for weather protection a lot easier, you don't have to have rubberised holes for forks etc. Was looking to steal styling for the front end from the supercar types with flaring over wheels etc and a false windscreen for directing airflow up and over. Will be buying the back-end of a traditional trike (Harley/Goldwing/BMW etc) for the luggage and to save having to demonstrate my lack of design skills.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2009, 17:37:58 »

LPG

I have seen two driven (rode?) by wheelchair users, had bodywork on them to protect the person and a ramp for the rear, chair slotted intothe driving (riding??) position.  8-) 8-)

Good luck with your project..... :y

HolyCount

« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2009, 17:44:11 »

LPG

I have seen two driven (rode?) by wheelchair users, had bodywork on them to protect the person and a ramp for the rear, chair slotted intothe driving (riding??) position.  8-) 8-)

That'll be the Nippi

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2009, 17:51:06 »

LPG

That'll be the Nippi

Went and had a look, could be the middle / top one... :y
http://www.nippi.co.uk/Nippi.shtml

nick v6

• Omega Baron
  • walsall / west midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2009, 17:54:54 »

didn't they do a car with 2 wheels at the front 1 at the back
called a bubble car or sumat like that
and that german car messasmit i aint got a clue on how you spell it
someone on here will know
just need to tax the tank now:)

HolyCount

« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2009, 17:56:27 »

Yeah. a mate of mine had one in the 70's-- was basically a cockpit on wheels ---tandem 2 seater

« Last Edit: 30 January 2009, 18:01:05 by HolyCount »

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2009, 17:58:40 »

Yeah. a mate of mine had one in the 70's-- was basically a cockpit on wheels ---tandem 2 seater

They look great :y  they are worth a fortune now.... :)

nick v6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2009, 17:59:33 »

there is a scooter that has been driven by mine that has 2 wheels at the front 1 at the back
corners well and goes pretty well

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2009, 18:00:43 »

Firstly I don't know if this is the right section so Admins feel free to move it.....

I have been wanting to build a trike for a looooong time now but after continually failing to find someone willing to build the chassis for me I am going to have to do it myself so...
I have been told that car chassis 'members' are only fairly low guage steel and I am using the front end of a Rover as it will be a 'tadpole' trike so a cradle for the engine and then a simple spine back to the rear wheel. Making it easy for myself I was planning to use simple box section with cut'n'weld webbed corners rather than bending.
How thin a wall do you think I can use for the box as the thinner it is, the lower rating I can get away with on the welding kit?

ps  Volunteer welders welcomed if only to show me what I will undoubtedly be doing wrong

1800vvc or 2.5 kv6?
if your gonna be stupid you may as well be really stupid   :y (i would)

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

nick v6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 January 2009, 18:02:50 »

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/heinkel.htm

thats the bubble car thing
i think
im not old enough to remember it properly
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.