Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lidl air compressor  (Read 5365 times)

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
Lidl air compressor
« on: 15 February 2019, 18:56:30 »

Well after these past few years ,i finally brought 1,parkside pko500 a2 50l tank for £99.99 and a 20 mtr extension air line for £6.99,just got to but some air tools now.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lidl air compressor
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2019, 19:08:37 »

I have one of these that I bought seven years ago .
It was purchased for a contract I had to refurbish 16 professional Gymnasium machines which required the full frames and plastic covers to be repainted.
I believed that it would do the job and then die but all this time later It's still used almost weekly rendering my large workshop compressor almost redundant.
Not a single problem with it and it still holds pressure as good as it did on day one .
One piece of advice I'd give is to empty the tank of air when you have finished using it to prevent the seals being under continuous pressure .
The array of air tools that Lidl sell are also very good , I have most if not all of them and only today bought the cavity wax gun for a whopping € 9.99.

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 15 February 2019, 19:31:29 »

I have one of these that I bought seven years ago .
It was purchased for a contract I had to refurbish 16 professional Gymnasium machines which required the full frames and plastic covers to be repainted.
I believed that it would do the job and then die but all this time later It's still used almost weekly rendering my large workshop compressor almost redundant.
Not a single problem with it and it still holds pressure as good as it did on day one .
One piece of advice I'd give is to empty the tank of air when you have finished using it to prevent the seals being under continuous pressure .
The array of air tools that Lidl sell are also very good , I have most if not all of them and only today bought the cavity wax gun for a whopping € 9.99.
You're going to wax your cavities? Careful.

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 February 2019, 20:43:51 »

Lidl didnt have an impact gun or wrench,so looking else where for them.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 February 2019, 00:57:18 »

Heard of Ben Doon and Phil mc avity, but not wax ;D
Laying a rubber road.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2019, 19:31:04 »

You may find that most hobby air compressors, and hobby impact guns, aren't actually that useful.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #6 on: 17 February 2019, 19:33:08 »

You may find that most hobby air compressors, and hobby impact guns, aren't actually that useful.
Great for waxing your cavities, apparently. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 February 2019, 20:44:10 »

Great for waxing your cavities, apparently. :)
Does waxing make them easier to fill? 🤔
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 February 2019, 21:18:52 »

That.

By the time you've dragged it out, drained the water out of it, plugged it in, untangled the hose, found your tool, fitted the connector to it because you only have one less than the number of tools you own(I know several people like this, so don't scoff), told the neighbour complaining about the noise to opps off, plugged the tool in and then waited for the compressor to refill 3 more times just to undo 4 bolts you'll wish you'd bought a 600mm long ratchet or a decent footpump. Spraying is the only reason to own a compressor at home, and even with modern LVLP guns you don't want a small one.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2019, 15:42:36 »

I don't regret buying a cheapie air compressor, although many of the uses to which it is put are probably unrelated to car maintenance.

Yes, it's an easy way to inflate tyres with zero effort but slightly more faff than getting a foot pump out.

I have an air impact wrench that has got me out of jail on a number of occasions when I would have been stymied otherwise. Most recently it has removed a hub nut and a lambda sensor that weren't going anywhere without it. It cost me about £20 during one of Lidl's promotions. An electric one would have cost me more than it would have been worth spending and I use it so occasionally that it would have had a dead battery each time, etc...

I have a small disc cutter that has got into numerous places that an angle grinder wouldn't have touched for jobs that a Dremel wouldn't have been man enough for. Ditto a die grinder. Again, cost for these was minimal. I bought them in the hope that they'd come in handy one day and was glad I did.

I have an air nail gun that has been great for many non car related jobs. Again, an air powwered device was so cheap that it was a no-brainer, but an electric one wouldn't have been.

I use mine to pressurise my Eezibleed so I don't have to faff around getting a spare tyre out and deflating it to the required pressure, etc. Wouldn't justify a compressor in itself but  saves valuable time.

I've used it a few times to pressurise cooling systems to find leaks. Not impossible with a foot pump, but less hassle with a compressor.

I use it to run an air powered beer pump for home brewing.

I am often asked to fix comupters, radios and other electronics for people. Most items are full of dust, cigarette smoke remnants and very unpleasant to work on until they have had a good blast of compressed air or, if seriously contaminated, a blasting with a spray gun filled with an alcohol and distilled water solution.

There are probably numerous other things I've used it for,. None on their own justified the cost of the compressor, but, put together, it's a no brainer for me. YMMV.

Stuff that consumes tons of air clearly won't work well on a toy compressor but for occasional use everything listed above was completely painless if interspersed with the odd tea break to allow the motor to cool.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2019, 18:18:53 »

Yes, there are some bargains in Lidl I’m a regular :)
Laying a rubber road.

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 February 2019, 22:13:22 »

The 1/2 windy gun done the job for a month long contrct at Jag. wasnt much use after that.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 February 2019, 22:30:08 »

Well after these past few years ,i finally brought 1,parkside pko500 a2 50l tank for £99.99 and a 20 mtr extension air line for £6.99,just got to but some air tools now.

I bought one about a year ago, not sure if same model, but certainly Parkside and certainly Lidl. Plus accessories . .

. . . . i have yet to even plug it in.   :-\

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2019, 00:07:31 »

Just bought the Lidl Jackhammer set where it has a tool for removing lino tiles and adhesive etc, and various chesels for heavier work, but for the really heavy stuff where I'm changing slightly changing the house's drain layout I've bought a secondhand Kango. :y :y :y

I've found as a certified tool addict & collector, where I started building my toolkit at 10yo, where having the right tools to do the job makes such a difference in speed, blood, toll, sweat & tears and the savings compared to having to get somebody else to do it, means the tools pay for themselves, allegedly, ::) ::) ::) and that excuse keeps SWMBO happy.  :y :y :y

I've found since I bought my compressor I've been amassing a collection of air tools as they are inexpensive compared to battery powered tools and have a few more on my list where I can see uses for a straight grinder & a few others. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.