Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?  (Read 5592 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile

Buying Astras, I learned the hard way that specification is important. Looking at Vectras, bottom spec LIFE has aircon, cruise, steering wheel audio controls, CD30 radio CD, steel wheels, all I want. Exclusiv and Design have alloy wheels with skinny tyres, SRi and Elite have 17" wheels with skinnier tyres.  I am no fan of low profile tyres, so am looking for Life or Exclusiv models.

I thank DG for bringing to my attention the importance of seeking the right spec of used cars.

Any comments?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Vectra specifications: LIFE seems good, why pay mpre?
« Reply #1 on: 04 June 2019, 20:41:04 »

I would definitely agree that when buying used, the small additional outlay for a higher spec model is greatly beneficial in both personal enjoyment whilst using the car, but also greatly assists in the subsequent sale of the car. Many features you may never use, but if they have been mainly paid for by the first owner, then the benefits from having them can't be understated.
I have always bought the highest spec I can - Ghia models when I had Fords, CD / CDX models with Cavaliers, and over the last 15 years, Elite models with Omegas. My wife wanted a Honda CRV so we got an EX auto; the old one sold fast because it had extras over and above normal EX models.
I also have an SUV which has a 7 seat option with the top spec models amongst other features. When looking around, I considered the 5 seat version as it was considerably cheaper but decided to go for the top spec version. I'm now glad I did as it appears that the 5 seat versions don't sell well in the used car market and take a long time to sell whereas the 7 seat versions sell. In the MY 15, options were added such as power tail gate with ' hands full' feature, side blinds, heated rear seats, compass, memory seats, lane assist, so it was important that I got a late 15 model rather than early as these options, whilst they didn't particularly affect the purchase price, make it better vehicle to have, but are good selling points when advertising it when the time comes.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 June 2019, 21:55:31 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 04 June 2019, 22:12:05 »

There's so many specs, and options that it really doesn't matter for ordinary cars. And you won't get any more ordinary than a Vectra. Condition and convenience are the priorities once you've decided your mechanical requirements - I wouldn't buy a diesel or auto for example.
I have a diesel that's auto and I love it  ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 June 2019, 22:40:06 »

How about when it's 12 years old and any repair is more than the car is worth?

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 June 2019, 23:49:50 »

I'm with Nick on buying petrol powered but it has to be two pedals
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 June 2019, 09:25:15 »

Life’s been good to me so far......
Laying a rubber road.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 June 2019, 10:01:49 »

My Maserati does 185.  :D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 June 2019, 10:19:55 »

Surely it would be so cheap you'd weigh it in and make a profit

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 June 2019, 10:39:17 »

My Maserati does 185.  :D

But I thought you lost your licence, and now you can't drive? In all seriousness, that post didn't get sufficient appreciation  ;).

Back on topic, I think it depends what you intend using your chosen sh!tter for. If it's a decent length commute I'd always want AC and probably look for heated seats and cruise. If it's for knocking about, or dog transport, I tend to look for seats and a steering wheel.  :y

As said, if I were in the market for a Vec, it seems like any of the specs would fulfill my needs so it would be engine, gearbox and condition that were deciding factors.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 June 2019, 10:41:09 »

Yes, but Nick knows a thing or two about cars and you don't....☺

STEMO

« Reply #11 on: 05 June 2019, 11:16:15 »

How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?
And more than the car is worth to who? Parker's?

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 05 June 2019, 11:19:41 »

Yes, but Nick knows a thing or two about cars and you don't....☺
I know I've been driving them for 48 years, time enough to decide what I like and what I don't. You, of all people, should realise that the average motorist is not interested in a 12 year old car that needs repairs every farts end. You can pick up a decent five year old car for little money.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 June 2019, 12:14:37 »

How about when any car is 12 years old? Why should a diesel auto be different from a petrol manual?

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 June 2019, 12:19:10 »

Petrol engines nowhere near as complex as modern diesels,expensive injectors,fuel pumps,dpf's and suchlike can cost a fortune,petrols have there issues too but generally cheaper to sort out :y

Yep and they are much easier on the drivetrain that follows them due to their smoother torque delivery, meaning that if you have a fragile FWD automatic box there is less chance of it dying.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.