Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Cars  (Read 4538 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: Classic Cars
« Reply #15 on: 24 October 2006, 20:36:35 »

I had an Audi Quattro (ur-Quattro).  Great car, cr@p electrics.  Sold it just before it turned 20 and became a 'classic'.  Of course, by that definition I should include every other car I owned until 5 years ago  ;) ;D

OO i love the quattro beautiful looking car just not as nice as the omega ;D
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2006, 23:09:21 »

I'm off to Birmingham NEC in the Omega this weekend to the Classic car show. Just wondered what other classic cars are owned by group members?
I've got a '67 Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit called a BS Nymph based around a '63 Imp and my '84 Scirocco Storm that I'm trying to sell  :(
I'll bung something up about the Imps soon.

Cheers Jim
If I remember rightly cos it was a long long time ago to change the thermostat  on an imp was an "engine out"job :o
I passed my test in a Triumph Herald. When the tester asked me to turn the vehical around in the road using forward and reverse gears, I thought stuff that with a 22 feet turning cicle I could u turn it. compared with the space in modern car engine bays it was a dream to work on,you could actually stand in the engine bay to work on it 8-)
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
  • AAARRRRGGGGGGGGG, IT'S WAS ONLY A GLS!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 October 2006, 23:38:31 »

Hi Tony, thermostat can be changed in situ once you take the dirt shield off. They do have a habit of corroding the alloy housing to the bolts and if that happens it can often be quicker to remove the engine! 30 mins and it's out of the back of the car on a trolly jack anyway  :)

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2006, 00:15:48 »

Ran a Triumph 2.5 PI for a while - a real hoot, as we are talking only 5 or so years ago.  

Really pi**ed off the Golf/XR3/similar hot hatch/converted crowd to be sh*t upon by an old sledge that was being driven to within an inch of its life!!

Bit like a 'Meega, I suppose.....   :-?

Nickbat

« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2006, 00:48:50 »

Had a succession of Manta Coupes as company cars (those were the days!  ;)). Started with a Berlinetta, then a GTE, then a GTE Exclusive  .I sold the last of the line for just £800. Still, it had a large rust area on the roof from double skin of the factory-fitted sunshine roof and I also had to Isopon huge areas in the passenger footwell which had simply rotted quietly away under the carpet. That said, it was a great car. OK, maybe not an out-and-out sports car, but the handling was great - frequently used to get the back out in a controlled power slide.

Gatsos and kids have changed my lifestyle somewhat...

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2006, 10:17:12 »

I had an Audi Quattro (ur-Quattro).  Great car, cr@p electrics.  Sold it just before it turned 20 and became a 'classic'.  Of course, by that definition I should include every other car I owned until 5 years ago  ;) ;D

OO i love the quattro beautiful looking car just not as nice as the omega ;D
Yeah, I still hanker after having one as a project car with the Omega as the primary car.  Later ones without the quad headlights have better electrics.  A surprisingly complete car that still does well against modern cars.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 October 2006, 10:38:02 »

Hi Hotel21, I know what you mean about the PI's, I ran one for a while a couple of years back  :) It could certainly shift although the fuel gauge went down at about the same rate as the speed increased  :( I ended up selling it before it bankrupted me  ;D  Great fun though.....

Cheers Jim
The fleet consists of a Singer Chamois Coupe, an Imp based kit car - BS Nymph, and a Kawasaki GPZ 900R (& a Toyota RAV4 LPG for the work horse!)

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 October 2006, 00:08:45 »

Hi guys, since I've now got the hang of photobucket  :) I thought I'd share a few pics of my classic cars. First up is my 1967 Singer Chamois Coupe. I bought this 8 years ago and did a full restoration including a bare metal respray. It has had several mods including a bigger (930cc!!!) engine, disc brake conversion and a tartan interior! Afecionately known in the Imp Club as "The Saltire" it never fails to bring a smile to my face and is a hoot to drive. I'm about to do some more cosmetic work over the next few months as it's getting a bit tatty and neglected.

Next up is a real rarity, a 70's kit car called a BS Nymph, based on the Hillman Imp. I fully rebuilt this last year from the ground up, including a respray and have incorporated many mods such as dual circuit brakes, collapsable steering column and led lighting through out. It also has instrumentation from a Dolomite Sprint and there are bits from over 20 different makes of car incorporated into it! The only work I didn't undertake was the hood and retrimming the rear seat. Only 42 Nymph bodys were ever produced and this is one of only 15 known survivors  :)

Now the one I'm selling as I've replaced it with the Omega  :) This was my everyday driver, a 1984 VW Scirocco Storm. Only 300 of these were made in Cosmos Blue with dark blue leather interior and it is powered by the Mk1 Golf Gti engine so it can fairly shift. I'll miss this one but it just wasn't big enough for my everyday use and the back seat is more for show than carrying passengers  :(

Finally, a pic of my two wheeled toy, my 1991 Kawasaki GPZ 900R, bloody quick and great fun  8-)

hope you enjoy looking at these, cheers Jim  :)
« Last Edit: 26 October 2006, 00:45:24 by mijfife »

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 October 2006, 00:47:41 »

I most certainly did, great stuff  :y
How about putting them in the gallery along with the Omega  ;)
« Last Edit: 26 October 2006, 00:47:56 by paulmccristall »
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 October 2006, 10:35:30 »

Hi Bo Bo, I was going to put them in the Gallery but I thought that was just for Omegas.

Cheers Jim

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 October 2006, 11:58:15 »

Hi Bo Bo, I was going to put them in the Gallery but I thought that was just for Omegas.

Cheers Jim
Not sure, but all kinds have been posted there, start with the Mega & then the rest of the "fleet"  ;)
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 October 2006, 14:38:01 »

Hi Mijfife

REALLY enjoyed looking at the pic of your Imp.  A great car!  As for the BS Nymph what can I say?  Great and you are to be commended for doing all the work yourself.

As you are in Scotland, have you ever travelled to Linwood to see where the Rootes factory was?  Parts of it still remain and the old machine shop still stands.  There is a web site, http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dave/rootes/Linwood/contents.htm which shows the factory and inside it. This is the site's home page: http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dave/rootes/rootes.htm.

There is also another fairly good site, http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/

I am somewhat of a Rootes fan.  As a boy my dad had a Hillman Minx (the Hunter or Arrow shape) and this went round the clock twice - unheard of in those days.  I remember the vynal seats that you stuck to in the summer and were too cold in the winter.  It had a strip speedo.  Those were the days!

Wish you luck and enjoyment with the Singer and BS Nymph.
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 October 2006, 14:40:35 »

I don't know if it counts as a classic, but it is rare. I have a 1979 Landrover Series III Stage 1 V8. Basically Range Rover drivetrain in a Series III body, complete with drum brakes and leaf springs. Current status - "project", ie. not roadworthy at the moment.

It's a beasty in a straight line, but never liked going round tight bends in it. Someone once reckoned it went round corners like a motorbike. Which in my mind meant that it would fail to take the corner and end up wrapped round a lamp post!  [smiley=grin.gif] He meant, put the power on while going round the bend and it corners lovely!
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 October 2006, 17:59:45 »

Hi Mijfife

REALLY enjoyed looking at the pic of your Imp.  A great car!  As for the BS Nymph what can I say?  Great and you are to be commended for doing all the work yourself.

As you are in Scotland, have you ever travelled to Linwood to see where the Rootes factory was?  Parts of it still remain and the old machine shop still stands.  There is a web site, http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dave/rootes/Linwood/contents.htm which shows the factory and inside it. This is the site's home page: http://www.dcs.napier.ac.uk/~dave/rootes/rootes.htm.

There is also another fairly good site, http://www.rootes-chrysler.co.uk/

I am somewhat of a Rootes fan.  As a boy my dad had a Hillman Minx (the Hunter or Arrow shape) and this went round the clock twice - unheard of in those days.  I remember the vynal seats that you stuck to in the summer and were too cold in the winter.  It had a strip speedo.  Those were the days!

Wish you luck and enjoyment with the Singer and BS Nymph.
I ran a Hunter for a while nice car for the time also had a mate who had a 1725 gls the one with the Holbay engine nice motor, I also thought the Hunter shaped Minx with the overdrive gearbox was a great car for its time
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

mijfife

• Intermediate Member
  • Rosyth, Fife. Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27 October 2006, 10:18:53 »

Hi x25xe, I've been to Linwood quite often, getting less and less of the original factory there now  :( The Glasgow area centre of the Imp Club meet at a pub on the site every month so at least there are still Imps going in and out from time to time  :)  
I've not seen the sites you mentioned so will check them out later, thanks for sending the links.

Ghosts, that Landi sounds like an awsome beast!! Once it's back on the road you'll probably have to sell everything else to keep it going in petrol tho  ;D

Cheers Jim
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.