Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else know about SPEC cameras and this>>>>>  (Read 2822 times)

Gwilym

• Bridgwater, Somerset, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else know about SPEC cameras and this>>
« Reply #15 on: 26 October 2006, 10:40:26 »

The guidance to police officers is that it is anticipated that, other than in the most exceptional circumstances, the issue of fixed penalty notices and summonses is likely to be the minimum appropriate enforcement action as soon as the following speeds have been reached:

Limit      Fixed Penalty      Summons
20 mph      25 mph      35 mph
30 mph      35 mph      50 mph
40 mph       46 mph      66 mph
50 mph      57 mph      76 mph
60 mph      68 mph      86 mph
70 mph      79 mph      96 mph

Fixed penalty of
1.      £60 (pending)
2.      Licence endorsed with 3 penalty points      

Magisterial discretion (level 2) maximum of:
1.      £1000 fine
2.      Licence endorsed - range of penalty points available
3.      Disqualification
4.      Compulsory re-testing

This guidance does not and cannot replace the police officer's discretion and they may decide to issue a summons or a fixed penalty notice in respect of offences committed at speeds lower than those set out in the table.  Moreover, in particular circumstances, driving at speeds lower than the legal limit may result in prosecution for other offences, for example dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention when the speed is inappropriate and inherently unsafe.
« Last Edit: 26 October 2006, 10:41:19 by Gwilym »

White '00 3.0 MV6 Estate (Ex Met Police Firearms Car)

Gwilym

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 October 2006, 10:41:54 »

Bear in mind that exceeding a speed limit by any amount whatsoever is an absolute offence, and a police officer is fully entitled to charge a driver for doing, say, 31 in a 30 limit outside a school at closing time, or in a busy High Street.

However, since a speed camera or Talivan is unable to make any judgment as to aggravating circumstances, automated FPNs issued by these means should not normally fall below the Fixed Penalty level set by the formula. In the past, many Gatsos had thresholds set much higher - in the Metropolitan Police area they were originally set at 43 mph in 30 limits - but in recent years most have been brought down to the minimum ACPO figures. However, I have yet to see a case where someone has received an FPN from a camera or Talivan for a speed below these guidelines - although obviously this can be done by a police officer in person.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #17 on: 26 October 2006, 17:23:59 »

I feel sorry for you getting done for doing 34 in a 30, BUT if you don't know what is round the corner - child, elderly lady, bus, tractor, speed limit change, you have to reduce your speed accordingly. If you had you would have approached the hazard slower and thus would have had more time to adjust down to 30mph BEFORE crossing the 30mph limit.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 26 October 2006, 18:42:22 »

Bear in mind that exceeding a speed limit by any amount whatsoever is an absolute offence, and a police officer is fully entitled to charge a driver for doing, say, 31 in a 30 limit outside a school at closing time, or in a busy High Street.

31 in a 30 limit....you wouldnt get a ticket for that.....even the safety enforcement vans have to give you 10% for possible inacuracy in your speedo.

I dont think the safety vans give you an additional 2mph on top of the 10%.....i know of others that have been sent tickets for 34mph in a 30 zone.....issued by safety vans....i think its called zero tolerance, plus they have to pay for themselves by issuing tickets!

Police officers with speed detectors may be more tolerant.

But im with Ron.....get caught exceeding the speed limit by more than 10%(maybe he doesnt agree with the 10% bit) then its your own fault.......if you had an accident when speeding and someone was seriously hurt....

Martin_1962

« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2006, 10:43:30 »

My main worry with this is as follows, if you are concentratingon the limit, you are not concentrating on the road. Near home there is a longish road with a talivan on it, I had to very carefully watch my speed as I cannot afford the £80, so watched the speedo instead, looked up after a while to find I had drifted across the road onto the wrong side.

However [size=24]I WAS NOT SPEEDING[/size]

With Police actually pulling you up they tend to not worry of you are drifting up and down as they are not anally retented unlike talivan operators.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 27 October 2006, 12:18:21 »

I feel sorry for you getting done for doing 34 in a 30, BUT if you don't know what is round the corner - child, elderly lady, bus, tractor, speed limit change, you have to reduce your speed accordingly. If you had you would have approached the hazard slower and thus would have had more time to adjust down to 30mph BEFORE crossing the 30mph limit.

Totaly agree, but the last time I travelled on the same road it was de-restricted, it is not in a built up area, no houses at all to the next de-restriction sign.

How come that once the same road was de-restricted and now it is only safe to do 30?

In my defence, you came across the 30 sign after going round a bend, now, if I had stood on my brakes as soon as I saw it, to decellerate to 30, everyone behind would have piled into the back of me.

I wouldn't mind, but I observe speed limits!
I like red cars

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 27 October 2006, 13:23:50 »

I tend to work on the 10% rule. Managed to stay away from any penalty points (so far).  

Doesn't the MoT test allow you a 10% margin on the speedo. Mind you they don't tell you if you're at the end of the scale (ie 9% out) so if you add your own 10% on that, you'll be speeding.

I saw something on the news about a legal challenge to the use of civilians operating speed traps. If they win, thousands could get their fines returned. Anyone know anything about this?
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Gwilym

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 27 October 2006, 23:05:30 »

I saw something on the news about a legal challenge to the use of civilians operating speed traps. If they win, thousands could get their fines returned. Anyone know anything about this?

Yes. He lost his case and the police won. The man in question was quite a rich dude and had to pay thousands in court costs.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.