Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 154282 times)

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #105 on: 19 May 2012, 09:20:18 »

Personally I think the forum has not been as much fun as it used to be well before the Daz/Ljay incident. I said to TB a while back that I think the helpful spirit of the forum changed when people like myself started charging for work to be done on Omegas which has all but put an end to cambelt parties. The cambelt parties were a great place for people to put names to faces which would then encourage more people to the Lakes and Newent, it also helps when your having a bit of banter on the forum because you know the person you are having the banter with so they are less likely to take offence.

I know I might be cutting my own throat here because since loosing my job the Omega money is my only income but its what I think has changed the forum :-\

So Its Petes fault

glads thats sorted..stone him then ban him and stone him some more.

personally i think the service Pete, james and Daz and others offer is one of the attractions of the forum Daz has saved me an absolute fortune and in honesty if it was not form him the cost of repairing my car would have been uneconmical

if you should choose to do it for free at meets and i know you do its your choice but imho the money you save members and what you do for it you should get a pat on the back and back side for Daz :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 19 May 2012, 09:27:52 »

Personally I think the forum has not been as much fun as it used to be well before the Daz/Ljay incident. I said to TB a while back that I think the helpful spirit of the forum changed when people like myself started charging for work to be done on Omegas which has all but put an end to cambelt parties. The cambelt parties were a great place for people to put names to faces which would then encourage more people to the Lakes and Newent, it also helps when your having a bit of banter on the forum because you know the person you are having the banter with so they are less likely to take offence.

I know I might be cutting my own throat here because since loosing my job the Omega money is my only income but its what I think has changed the forum :-\

So Its Petes fault

personally i think the service Pete, james and Daz and others offer is one of the attractions of the forum Daz has saved me an absolute fortune and in honesty if it was not form him the cost of repairing my car would have been uneconmical

if you should choose to do it for free at meets and i know you do its your choice but imho the money you save members and what you do for it you should get a pat on the back and back side for Daz :y

But thats my point. The cambelt meets were done for free with everyone helping each other over a weekend then it was off for a meal and a few too many beers. At Timbuks there were 30 to 40 Omegas which I know wont happen again because of the venue size, but as AA says it was a brilliant laugh, most if not everyone got there car sorted, people made cakes and bacon butties through the day and everyone had a great laugh. The spirit of OOF :y
Retired

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 19 May 2012, 09:42:07 »

But thats my point. The cambelt meets were done for free with everyone helping each other over a weekend then it was off for a meal and a few too many beers. At Timbuks there were 30 to 40 Omegas which I know wont happen again because of the venue size, but as AA says it was a brilliant laugh, most if not everyone got there car sorted, people made cakes and bacon butties through the day and everyone had a great laugh. The spirit of OOF :y
Clearly, not everyone was able to help with mechanical work, but everyone played a part - be it tea ladies (Maria and Miss Maria IIRC), BBQ, running out to get stuff, handing tools/parts to those under cars etc.

A fantastic day, and I've been told a fantastic evening :P
Grumpy old man

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 19 May 2012, 09:43:51 »

sounds like Newent last year i remember it well our first meet yes we were meet virgins me wifey and doggy. The Dents kindly took us under thier wings and it was a cracking weekend

maybe we are all forgetting how to have fun and taking things to seriously.....this site was a nice reliefe for me shite day at work nice glass of something acoholic and enter the gen dis area for a good laugh and some good reading

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 19 May 2012, 09:44:22 »

Clearly, not everyone was able to help with mechanical work, but everyone played a part - be it tea ladies (Maria and Miss Maria IIRC), BBQ, running out to get stuff, handing tools/parts to those under cars etc.

A fantastic day, and I've been told a fantastic evening :P

I remember when a certain admin got locked in the porta-bog, via some gaffer tape  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 19 May 2012, 09:45:39 »

So Its Petes fault

Agreed Pete that Timbuk's Cambelt Party was Brilliant :y
How many of those people who came for a Cambelt to be done have been seen again? Is that the spirit of OOF? Personally I find that taking the piss. Different if the person is really pleased then stays on the forum...
Look at the Tax Disc Holders, on that day I took them to try and sell a few, as most know they were only £3 each. Maybe its just me but I would have bought one even if I didn't want one. I had a few who said they were not interested, one of which was a guy who had his cambelt done for free and I have never seen or heard of him since.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 19 May 2012, 09:48:38 »

What is the difference between Clique and good friends? If you have made the effort to go to some of the meets you eventually make friends of people you wouldn't have otherwise met. Everyone has to be a newbie and may feel "out of the loop" when others(regulars) gather together and chat.

I feel the forum is suffering from the current climate of both weather and the current economy. Everyone is on a bit of a downer at the moment IMO.

The fact of people like Pete and Daz charging for doing work on cars should have nothing to do with the forum because that is how they make a living.
At a meet I have nothing but utmost respect for the work carried out by many members more knowledgeable than I and all FOC and for the sake of frienship! I have certainly seen members spending hours working on cars at the Lakes meet and Newent all for the sake of helping other members.

If you have a problem there is usually a reply to a question on any subject within an hour. Not many forums can say that!

With regard to the Lakes meet this year the reason I can't make it is purely financial and not because of the problems on the site. I will certainly do my best to be at Newent later in the year.

I agree with the earlier comments about the jokes in the General Listings, because they did act as a break between the heavier topics and I personally don't look at the Jokes sticky.

I hope that the forum doesn't change too much if at all because the plusses far outway the negatives!

I realise the Moderators are always targets simply because they have to raise their heavy hands occasionally but the work they do behind the scenes is largely unrecognised IMO.
best wishes
Simon.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 19 May 2012, 09:50:09 »

Sorry for not replying earlier, but just spent over 6 hours in A&E with Laura, who's health is pretty shit at the moment.

Little point in going over old ground, but as others have, I gave Daz a short ban for breaking the rule about abusing other members which I felt abused his moderator position,  which he took offence over.  If he had problems with her prior behavior, he had ample opportunity to do something about it.  For the record, she never saw mod chat, she was obviously aware there was a discussion in it (she asked what I was typing, and I said replying to n, about xyz), but never saw it.  That was a lie, and I do wonder how you came to that conclusion.

As for the meets, given she is banned, and received a lot of hostile comments on here, why would she want to attend a meet, which is a great shame as we as a family have attended every big meet since the start of OOF.

We used to sit on OOF together of an evening, and have a laugh, as she is no longer welcome, we dont, and consequently I don't do that on my own, we do other things instead.

I feel some infantile behavior in the name of humour has pissed off a lot of people to not posting, and also not posting for fear of the replies from some.  A view I have found is shared by some members I have talked to privately.

Yes some of the 'spirit of oof' died when people started charging for work, but I also feel this was a necessary change due to both economic circumstances and to avoid piss taking.
This has had the knock on effect of not teaching 'newbies' as much as happened in days of old.
When I joined the forum, I couldn't even do an oil change, the forum, and some members in particular were really helpful in teaching me, so I can now do most tasks.  This is very rarely seen now (webby being an exception) as the advice is always 'contact one of these to do it for you....'
That said, the advice is all still there in the forum of the excellent maintenance guides, for which I thank all the contributors.

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 19 May 2012, 10:00:02 »

sorry to hear Laura is unwell wish her a speedy recovery

all the best Paul wifey and doggy

cleggy

« Reply #114 on: 19 May 2012, 10:04:41 »

I enjoy the forum, tend to look in daily and comment when a thread interests me either socially of mechanically. The help as been great but the site can appear  to be one big clique of older members at times who respond to each other on a thread but seem to ignore everyone else, even repeating comments made by a member earlier who is not part of their group.
As for meets I don't do tents, caravans, under a bonnet or looking at other Omega's or indeed wish to spend my time doing so (SWMBO won't let me) ;D
The members I have met personally or communicated with have been excellent chaps, helpful in every way, advice, parts, carrying out work and make this forum a worthwhile place to participate in. :y :y :y
LOVE the moaning, even the liberals, for gods sake we're Brits ;D ;D

As you can see I said CAN APPEAR which can be off putting to new members. Simply a point of view of what may be wrong but if you read the whole post I am a FAN of OOF and enjoy participating :y

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 19 May 2012, 10:05:22 »

sorry to hear Laura is unwell wish her a speedy recovery

all the best Paul wifey and doggy

Hope she soon gets back on her feet!! :y
best wishes
Simon.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 19 May 2012, 10:18:36 »

Sorry for not replying earlier, but just spent over 6 hours in A&E with Laura, who's health is pretty shit at the moment.

Little point in going over old ground, but as others have, I gave Daz a short ban for breaking the rule about abusing other members which I felt abused his moderator position,  which he took offence over.  If he had problems with her prior behavior, he had ample opportunity to do something about it.  For the record, she never saw mod chat, she was obviously aware there was a discussion in it (she asked what I was typing, and I said replying to n, about xyz), but never saw it.  That was a lie, and I do wonder how you came to that conclusion.

As for the meets, given she is banned, and received a lot of hostile comments on here, why would she want to attend a meet, which is a great shame as we as a family have attended every big meet since the start of OOF.

We used to sit on OOF together of an evening, and have a laugh, as she is no longer welcome, we dont, and consequently I don't do that on my own, we do other things instead.

I feel some infantile behavior in the name of humour has pissed off a lot of people to not posting, and also not posting for fear of the replies from some.  A view I have found is shared by some members I have talked to privately.

Yes some of the 'spirit of oof' died when people started charging for work, but I also feel this was a necessary change due to both economic circumstances and to avoid piss taking.
This has had the knock on effect of not teaching 'newbies' as much as happened in days of old.
When I joined the forum, I couldn't even do an oil change, the forum, and some members in particular were really helpful in teaching me, so I can now do most tasks.  This is very rarely seen now (webby being an exception) as the advice is always 'contact one of these to do it for you....'
That said, the advice is all still there in the forum of the excellent maintenance guides, for which I thank all the contributors.

Which was what exactly?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 19 May 2012, 10:30:24 »

Which was what exactly?

Does this really have to be brought up again. If it does wouldn't PM, email or a phone call be better :(
Retired

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 19 May 2012, 10:32:09 »

Which was what exactly?

Being deliberately provocative to invoke a response...as you have stated yourself on previous occasions...but I will not be drawn into this again now.

feeutfo

« Reply #119 on: 19 May 2012, 10:35:52 »

JB, heart of the matter;

Nobody understands what caused LK to be banned. Afaict. :-\

Edit to add, appologies. Speedy recovery to Laura, and hope its not serious.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 10:39:13 by chrisgixer »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.