Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 49   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega Owners Forum  (Read 153849 times)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
Re: Omega Owners Forum
« Reply #75 on: 18 May 2012, 23:11:32 »

Is the answer not to close the General Discussion board or request the purveyors of political matters, or other material not deemed to be in keeping with the general tenor of a car forum to desist or leave - I'm more than happy to abide by the wishes of those who consider this to be such a problem but for Christ’s sake lets not beat about the bush and continue to pick at this perceived sore.

Quite agree, Den.

You know the fact that we all have/had Vauxhall Omegas in no way implies common ground on any other issue. We reflect society at large: the good, bad and ugly. We are not living in happy times and some of the posts reflect that. But it is good that if members feel unhappy about something they can post their views. It helps to know that others agree and we can have a joint rant.

If there is one thing I would change it is the sticky for jokes. I used to enjoy opening a thread and, unsuspectingly, come across a real howler. The sticky has moved the humour into a back cupboard, where few venture, I suspect. Some jokes deserve a thread of their own and enliven the board as a whole. :y

That said, Omega ownership will die out. It's inevitable. I mean, how many Model T forums are still in existence?  ;) ;D
Until they become classics like the big Granadas/Zodiacs/Crestas/Westminsters.... 8)
Curry makes the world go round!

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 18 May 2012, 23:14:33 »

TB in my view

i dont post as much and visit as much, used to be on all the time, and this year was supposed to be a get out to every possible meet but to be honest since the banning of Ljay etc its not been the same. I sat on the fence reading and yes i supported Daz but never slated Ljay but read in dissapointment at what others said and Jimbob etc. Dont get me wrong appreciated admins position but there were no winners only loosers.

other things for me not being able to give advice on cars so my main area was general chat and the banter with people such as millwall, richie, daz etc but they are not on as much

dont get me wrong there are still lots of good bits on here and some fercking great characters even mary whithouse ent...d. I dont know just does not seem to be so much banter it all seems to get so serious from silly subjects like knocking a door way through blah blah

but then again i have only been here a year

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 18 May 2012, 23:15:39 »

Is the answer not to close the General Discussion board or request the purveyors of political matters, or other material not deemed to be in keeping with the general tenor of a car forum to desist or leave - I'm more than happy to abide by the wishes of those who consider this to be such a problem but for Christ’s sake lets not beat about the bush and continue to pick at this perceived sore.

Quite agree, Den.

You know the fact that we all have/had Vauxhall Omegas in no way implies common ground on any other issue. We reflect society at large: the good, bad and ugly. We are not living in happy times and some of the posts reflect that. But it is good that if members feel unhappy about something they can post their views. It helps to know that others agree and we can have a joint rant.

If there is one thing I would change it is the sticky for jokes. I used to enjoy opening a thread and, unsuspectingly, come across a real howler. The sticky has moved the humour into a back cupboard, where few venture, I suspect. Some jokes deserve a thread of their own and enliven the board as a whole. :y

That said, Omega ownership will die out. It's inevitable. I mean, how many Model T forums are still in existence?  ;) ;D
Until they become classics like the big Granadas/Zodiacs/Crestas/Westminsters.... 8)

Amd we will all turn around at classic car meets and say to the current owner, 'I used to have one of those'....... :D :D :D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 18 May 2012, 23:17:47 »

I've not owned an Omega for over a year but I still log in here every day but seem to spend most of my time in "general car chat" these days,I'm just not overly interested in a lot of the threads in "gen dis" but each to there own :y,I'm also a member of a couple of other car/4x4 forums and while informative they are not a patch on this one.
I agree with a lot of Entwoods points especially about the ownership model changing with the newest vehicles being 8 or so years old
Lastly I would like to thank the admin team for keeping a "tight" ship here,those that don't know what I mean go look at somewhere like "anything goes" on landyzone will get the general idea :-\.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 18 May 2012, 23:17:52 »

It is a CLIQUE  just look at the people who reply and agree with each other on this thread :(

It might come across as such but I don't feel that the OOF is a clique. Some of us have been here since Noah was a lad, have met each other & have made great friendships with each other. Having the same relationship with a name on the page is more difficult which is why the mention of cliques.
The ABS is also tagged with the same thing, but again, meeting people in the flesh makes the difference.  :y
You've summed that up perfectly Andy. To any of you who feel left out or think there is some kind of...dare i say ELITE element to our forum, get yourself along to a meet. You'll be made very welcome. Guy. :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 18 May 2012, 23:20:10 »

I think this is a fantastic forum and kicks the other car forums I have frequented into the long grass  :y :y :y

It is mainly the reason that my 12 year old/210,000 miles Omega is still with me 6 years on, which is the longest I have ever owned a car!!!  :)   So many many thanks for all the advice, how to guides and affordable parts!!!  :y :y :y

There seems to be a few who don't like the GenDiss section, but I enjoy it as you get to read opinions from all walks of life across a broad spectrum of subjects!  :y Although if I'm honest, I find the 'Woe is me, my goat died last night' type of thread pretty tedious.... :-\  But that's simple I just don't read them!  ::)  and in my opinion that's what everyone should do, rather than wade through a thread they have no interest in and then grumble about it!!!   ::)

Does OOF need fixing?  ???  Not really IMO, but it's bound to evolve and change over time like any organisation.  ??? 
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 18 May 2012, 23:26:20 »

The debacle ( please tell me I'm wrong)
Entwoods point( I don't like it but it's a valid point)
Politics in excess (and nothing else by some members)
Endless negative threads in Gen chat ( I logged on last week and every single thread was depressing)

Also in agreement with the goings on in General Discussion. Far too much negativity and very unwelcoming. I love this forum but dislike the General Discussion section. Everytime a Daily Hate Mail link is posted (usually by the same people) its always something to do with foreigners/muslims/coloured people. I just avoid that part of the forum.

I bet I'll get lynched now  :-X
No reason you should be lynched, you're allowed to voice your opinions. The age old argument that this is a car forum is well worn out now. Point is our forum has options for all, same as the telly. We can choose what to watch. If we don't like one particular channel we don't watch it & stick to the ones we like. Guy. :y

cleggy

« Reply #82 on: 18 May 2012, 23:32:09 »

It is a CLIQUE  just look at the people who reply and agree with each other on this thread :(

Methinks your definition of "Clique" may be incorrect .... from my dictionary ..

"Clique : A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

I have not seen ANYONE, in ANYWAY, excluded from any part of OOF, if you wish to participate you are free to do so, and you have already done so .. hence .. no "clique" exists.

Don't be so bloody pedantic, you know exactly what I mean and so do alot of others. This is the problem  you are paly, paly with your pals :(
You reply to me this time but ignore my previous post on this topic ::)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 18 May 2012, 23:39:24 »

Methinks your definition of "Clique" may be incorrect .... from my dictionary ..

"Clique : A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others."

I have not seen ANYONE, in ANYWAY, excluded from any part of OOF, if you wish to participate you are free to do so, and you have already done so .. hence .. no "clique" exists.

Don't be so bloody pedantic, you know exactly what I mean and so do alot of others. This is the problem  you are paly, paly with your pals :(

You must remember Cleggy that a lot of these guys know each other personally,that isn't being in a clique,they are just mates chatting online :y
other rides 

Nickbat

« Reply #84 on: 18 May 2012, 23:39:55 »

I think this is a fantastic forum and kicks the other car forums I have frequented into the long grass  :y :y :y

It is mainly the reason that my 12 year old/210,000 miles Omega is still with me 6 years on, which is the longest I have ever owned a car!!!  :)   So many many thanks for all the advice, how to guides and affordable parts!!!  :y :y :y

There seems to be a few who don't like the GenDiss section, but I enjoy it as you get to read opinions from all walks of life across a broad spectrum of subjects!  :y Although if I'm honest, I find the 'Woe is me, my goat died last night' type of thread pretty tedious.... :-\  But that's simple I just don't read them!  ::)  and in my opinion that's what everyone should do, rather than wade through a thread they have no interest in and then grumble about it!!!   ::)

Does OOF need fixing?  ???  Not really IMO, but it's bound to evolve and change over time like any organisation.  ???

How insensitive! >:( >:(

My pet goat, Billy, escaped last week and was found today dead at the roadside in West Dorset. Police are looking for the driver of an Omega who was seen wiping blood off his bumper while filling with LPG at a local filling station.  :P   

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 18 May 2012, 23:41:20 »

How insensitive! >:( >:(

My pet goat, Billy, escaped last week and was found today dead at the roadside in West Dorset. Police are looking for the driver of an Omega who was seen wiping blood off his bumper while filling with LPG at a local filling station.  :P

;D ;D ;D
other rides 

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 18 May 2012, 23:43:04 »

I am not quite sure what you are getting at, we all had to start at some point, took me some weeks to post as I thought everyone knows each other, but was soon welcomed and began to post like others..... :)
Someone previously mentioned about meets, it is true, many of us on here have met personally, shared a beer and been out and enjoyed activities together, so naturally build up friendships and understandings that you can not develop through the written word on a forum...........It is not just on forums that people can easily take offence, today I had to chair a meeting and one of the biggest problem was dealing with a disagreement that was not well worded in an email and offence was taken...........rambling now so will stop, want to get more involved.....join in..... :y :y :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 18 May 2012, 23:45:16 »

I am not quite sure what you are getting at, we all had to start at some point, took me some weeks to post as I thought everyone knows each other, but was soon welcomed and began to post like others..... :)
Someone previously mentioned about meets, it is true, many of us on here have met personally, shared a beer and been out and enjoyed activities together, so naturally build up friendships and understandings that you can not develop through the written work on a forum...........It is not just on forums that people can easily take offence, today I had to chair a meeting and one of the biggest problem was dealing with a disagreement that was not well worded in an email and offence was taken...........rambling now so will stop, want to get more involved.....join in..... :y :y :y

That's what I was trying to say Vamps,only you did it better :-[ :y
other rides 

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 18 May 2012, 23:48:26 »

it's all about the people really - people come here for different things, some come for banter, some for technical help, some to share technical knowledge, some to sell cars, some for access to parts.

The managemnent team must look at the people's needs and ensure that they are catered for, BUT the needs necessarily alter as time goes on, especially as the Omega has moved from being a "new purchase" very firmly into "bargain basement" territory.

I come here to find answers to problems, to share knowledge and to get access to spares if needed, and also because I've been around a while to check in with the friends I've made while on here.

On the flip-side, I've no real interest in "banter", it'll not get my Omega running any better, I rarely visit the general forum and haven't once read anything on the jokes post.

On the whole, I've found it refreshing after other fora, free from idiots talking 'dangle berries', free from cliques and free from spammers and trolls - there's nothing that needs to change for my tastes.

albitz

« Reply #89 on: 19 May 2012, 00:00:46 »

It used to be a very special place to spend a lot of time.Its not anymore.There are various reasons why it isnt,and we could all argue and debate them until the cows come home (and have done many times)but it wont change anything.That special atmosphere has gone and it wont come back imo.You cant manufacture or contrive something like that,it just happens.
Not the end of the world though,its only a car forum. No point getting things out of perspective.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2012, 00:02:18 by Albs »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 49   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.