Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Road Safety 1965  (Read 2089 times)

omega3000

Road Safety 1965
« on: 19 November 2012, 20:50:12 »

Tom's friend is always in a rush , but tom never gave way to the old lady waiting at the zebra crossing  :( ;D

Road Safety

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Road Safety 1965
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2012, 21:01:54 »

Tom's friend is always in a rush , but tom never gave way to the old lady waiting at the zebra crossing  :( ;D

Road Safety

I noticed that..... :-\ :-\  Right hand turns were a paind before we had indicators on the bike though, throttled off as soon as you let go... ::) ::)

I am sure I saw 'Tufty' standing on one of those street corners...... :D :D :D

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 November 2012, 21:14:14 »

A bit of a long one but this was filmed down the street where I lived as a kid.

According to my mam and dad, the film used to be shown at the kids saturday matinee at the city picture houses  :y

http://www.yfaonline.com/film/tomorrow-too-late?destination=search%2Fapachesolr_search%2Fhull+road+safety%3Fpage%3D2%26mode%3Dquick%26solrsort%3Dscore%2520desc%252C%2520sis_cck_field_film_id%2520asc%26filters%3Dtype%253Ayfa_film%26highlight%3Dhull-road-safety&highlight=hull-road-safety

omega3000

« Reply #3 on: 19 November 2012, 21:30:14 »

Excellent , i nearly got the popcorn out  :y Was that opti commentating  :-\

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 November 2012, 21:41:31 »

I noticed 'Tom' didn't stop at the zebra crossing to allow the old lady to cross! ::)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 November 2012, 21:45:16 »

I noticed 'Tom' didn't stop at the zebra crossing to allow the old lady to cross! ::)

We have already said that Phil, keep up....... :D :D :D

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 November 2012, 21:47:42 »

We have already said that Phil, keep up....... :D :D :D

Nowt to do with me, it was an Echo...Echo....Echo....E  ::)
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Vamps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 November 2012, 21:54:48 »

Road Safety

I noticed that..... :-\ :-\  Right hand turns were a paind before we had indicators on the bike though, throttled off as soon as you let go... ::) ::)

I am sure I saw 'Tufty' standing on one of those street corners...... :D :D :D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 20 November 2012, 10:57:15 »

Great find EMD! :y

The social history this film shows from a period of time I remember well is wonderful. 8) 8) 8)

Not only the numerous makes and models of vehicles going around then make it all fascinating, but the lack of traffic, the street furniture, or lack of it, and the many varied shops that thrived before the advent of the supermarkets. If you look at the many buildings shown, there is a lack of mass TV aerials, and of course no satellite dishes! Even the bobby on the beat is a typical one in the era of Dixon of Dock Green.

I also thought about those many vehicles being used, many of which would never pass a modern MOT, like my A40 at the time which was a rust bucket but on the road everyday!  The Ford Consul  with the grill foiled over reminded me of the way many motorists made their cars heat up better with the crude form of heating control then in practice.  The main one was the now crude air intake that had a nossle that you either pointed to the front of the car in summer, or adjusted down towards the exhaust for winter driving.  The foil was another way some improved on that! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Apart from all that who in modern life would sit down and watch a Road Safety Film, from the Ministry of Information, for over 8 minutes? :D :D

Is there anything else you have noticed? ???

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 November 2012, 11:40:17 »

The social history this film shows from a period of time I remember well is wonderful. 8) 8) 8)

Not only the numerous makes and models of vehicles going around then make it all fascinating, but the lack of traffic, the street furniture, or lack of it, and the many varied shops that thrived before the advent of the supermarkets. If you look at the many buildings shown, there is a lack of mass TV aerials, and of course no satellite dishes! Even the bobby on the beat is a typical one in the era of Dixon of Dock Green.

I also thought about those many vehicles being used, many of which would never pass a modern MOT, like my A40 at the time which was a rust bucket but on the road everyday!  The Ford Consul  with the grill foiled over reminded me of the way many motorists made their cars heat up better with the crude form of heating control then in practice.  The main one was the now crude air intake that had a nossle that you either pointed to the front of the car in summer, or adjusted down towards the exhaust for winter driving.  The foil was another way some improved on that! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Apart from all that who in modern life would sit down and watch a Road Safety Film, from the Ministry of Information, for over 8 minutes? :D :D

yes :y the shop he got his morning paper from did green shield stamps..cannot find them anywhere around here :'(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #10 on: 20 November 2012, 11:46:59 »

yes :y the shop he got his morning paper from did green shield stamps..cannot find them anywhere around here :'(

Do you remember the Pink Shield Stamps as well? ;)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 November 2012, 11:55:42 »

no dont remember them

i remember co op stamps and tokens in fag packets ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #12 on: 20 November 2012, 12:54:04 »

no dont remember them

i remember co op stamps and tokens in fag packets ;D ;D

Ah yes that dates the time from the mid-1960s.  Before that it was cigarette picture cards in the packs.  Also Brooke Bond Tea had wonderful collections of cards that I loved to collect.  A butterfly collection comes to mind, but was that from the cigarette packs?  Time has distorted my recollection, but all those cards were great to collect.  Large The Beatles, the group, cards in bubble gum packets in 1963/64 were something I loved; to see my heroes when living in Malta was fab :-* :-* :-*

Do co-op do those stamps anymore bigtimecube, or is it loyalty card credits now?  Very rarely shop in the local Co-Op so really do not know now! :D
« Last Edit: 20 November 2012, 13:01:34 by Lizzie Zoom »

omega3000

« Reply #13 on: 20 November 2012, 13:31:00 »

i remember co op stamps and tokens in fag packets   

Aye and black jacks and Kali and fruit salad , the days when you didnt care about spilling half a gallon of petrol on the floor  ::) :)

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 November 2012, 14:25:30 »

I can remember most of that lot as well. Greenshield went bust and Argos sprung up in its place. The earliest recollection of petrol I have is in ,72 at 32p per gallon for 4 star. My dad was In the process of geting rid of his Mk3 Zepher 4 for a 1965 but 1970 registerd Mercedes 230 S.
Keith B
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.