Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daughter's new car  (Read 6176 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Daughter's new car
« on: 16 December 2012, 22:35:33 »

No. 1 child just having moved to a new house in Kent, with access up a lane with potential for getting snowed in, has asked me for help in choosing new, second hand, vehicles for her and hubby. This is what she wants: "If you have any time or are on your forum, if you can advise about a 4wd for me - ideally diesel, not massive (ie can be car with 4wd rather than land rover type thing) and auto even better!" although I queried the need for a diesel, as she will do no more than 6k a year, and then for a second car for her house husband with good load lugging capacity, they are thinking of a Hi-lux, "but any other ideas welcome!" as she says.

All useful suggestions gratefully received, (especially about vehicle selection!) :y :y :y

dazzle72

• nottinghamshire
    • Omega 2.2 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter's new car
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 22:39:26 »

Subaru Forester. A mate of mine has one and it may as well have a Land Rover badge on it. He takes it all over, and its never got stuck yet. And its auto

hoody

• Intermediate Member
  • Scotland
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 16 December 2012, 22:45:48 by hoody »

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 December 2012, 22:45:48 »

No. 1 child just having moved to a new house in Kent, with access up a lane with potential for getting snowed in, has asked me for help in choosing new, second hand, vehicles for her and hubby. This is what she wants: "If you have any time or are on your forum, if you can advise about a 4wd for me - ideally diesel, not massive (ie can be car with 4wd rather than land rover type thing) and auto even better!" although I queried the need for a diesel, as she will do no more than 6k a year, and then for a second car for her house husband with good load lugging capacity, they are thinking of a Hi-lux, "but any other ideas welcome!" as she says.

All useful suggestions gratefully received, (especially about vehicle selection!) :y :y :y

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Auto, I think they all are - engine and gearbox are Mercedes sounds a bit agricultural from outside but not inside, very comfy and all the toys you need and better on fuel than the Omega.  For best economy you need the 2.7L for some reason the later 3.0L is less power and poorer MPG.

Servicing costs not horrendous, I use a local independent, he and the MOT tester, both of whom I have know since school, were surprised by it's non utilitarian interior.... :y

Don't expect it to drive like a car though, they are like driving a barge, but fine when you get used to it and will still sit happily on the motorway at 80mph and return even better fuel consumption.....Just my opinion.... :y

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 December 2012, 23:15:04 »

Subaru Forester is a good suggestion, I personally would choose depending on budget the Volvo V70 AWD / XC70.
I've had the joys to drive an XC70 through snow. It performed just as well as the large 4x4 vehicles and has all the luxuries and more you'd ever need.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December 2012, 23:26:44 »

I've got to say, at 6k a year I cannot see how she can justify a diesel... The command a premium in purchase price, especially for anything with a 4x4 option ;)

TBH, it's the wrong time of year for buying a 4WD... I should have picked up the cheap Disco I was offered in the summer as I'm seriously considering a cheap 4WD as an emergency vehicle for the winter :-\
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December 2012, 23:43:56 »

I've got to say, at 6k a year I cannot see how she can justify a diesel... The command a premium in purchase price, especially for anything with a 4x4 option ;)

TBH, it's the wrong time of year for buying a 4WD... I should have picked up the cheap Disco I was offered in the summer as I'm seriously considering a cheap 4WD as an emergency vehicle for the winter :-\
[/highlight]

Swap You for your Mig, not that it is cheap....... :y :y :y

Yours is an Auto isn't it? otherwise no deal, your loss.... :D :D :D

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2012, 23:56:09 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 17 December 2012, 00:22:37 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done
;D yeah, NEXT ;D

Although I always thought the subaru idea was worth a look personally. Estate four wheel drive, and it's not a big car.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2012, 00:25:32 »

Golf R32 for her.
Range Rover L322 for him

Job done
;D yeah, NEXT ;D

Although I always thought the subaru idea was worth a look personally. Estate four wheel drive, and it's not a big car.

Must admit, Subaru (not Impretza) has always held some appeal for me :-\

The Passat 4Motion was reasonably capable in the snow
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 December 2012, 00:40:49 »

I think a boat will be more useful at the moment LD!!  ;D

and yes Subaru's are vastly underestimated IMO!  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2012, 05:53:02 »

There's always the Freelander.
Retired

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2012, 08:20:19 »

at 6k a year I think i would look at a Daihatsu Terios,brilliant little car and extremely capable offroad or adverse conditions,very frugal carrys 4 easily,and seats fold down in rear,while at the same time being small and easily parked for a young?lady!!

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17 December 2012, 08:24:49 »

Kia Sorento. The old man has had one from new and apart from a seized calliper it's been faultless.
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 December 2012, 09:32:14 »

If he has to have a pick up, personally think the Isuzu or Nissan Navara far better value than a Hi-lux. For her, do they still make the Subaru Justy?
Keith B

brendan1983

• Hampshire
    • Omega CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 17 December 2012, 09:39:39 »

I'd recommend a Shogun Pinin - I had one for a while and it was a great little car, and if in 2wd pretty good mpg - and very capable in mud and snow (you can lock the diff)
2003 CDX & Yamaha Thunderace

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 December 2012, 09:56:21 »

I'd also recommend a Shogun, or a Volvo XC70/XC90.
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 December 2012, 10:30:46 »

Hilux Surf import, went off roading in one this year and it was epic! Pretty cheap to buy too
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

OOMV6

« Reply #18 on: 17 December 2012, 10:41:50 »

Is even really worth looking for 4WD just case she might get snowed in, maybe, perhaps. Plenty of people survive with 2WD. Just a thought

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #19 on: 17 December 2012, 11:10:37 »

Subaru Forester. A mate of mine has one and it may as well have a Land Rover badge on it. He takes it all over, and its never got stuck yet. And its auto

agreed.. also subaru legacy is 4x4, auto  have diesel and normal fuel  models.. its a good car..

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/subaru/legacy-and-outback-petrol-2004/?section=good
« Last Edit: 17 December 2012, 11:12:58 by cem »

Boggy

« Reply #20 on: 17 December 2012, 11:19:20 »

Last time we had bad snow, I was driving everywhere in my golf gti! It's not what you've got, it's how you drive it, personally I would just get a fwd car, and as I was going to suggest a suburu forrester also as an estate for the hubby, either that it a range rover or similar. Just my opinion though.

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 17 December 2012, 11:26:19 »

must add though, even a 4x4 with summer tires have no luck on ice, frost and snow ..  you may have traction on a flat road but no brakes..

OOMV6

« Reply #22 on: 17 December 2012, 13:56:08 »

must add though, even a 4x4 with summer tires have no luck on ice, frost and snow ..  you may have traction on a flat road but no brakes..

Exactly. As per my previous post, why not a good 2WD with a decent set of winter tyres. Winter tyres on 2WD are a far better option in snow than summer tyres on 4WD.

jonnyboyws6

• Intermediate Member
  • grimsby
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 December 2012, 14:19:55 »

Suzuki Grand Vitara. Proper 4x4 rather than a "soft-roader" but without being too bulky. My mum has a 2.5 V6 (petrol) and it's pretty economical, certainly better than a V6 Omega. It has been very reliable.

I have had a Freelander and don't think they are all that great, not the best build quality.

At such low mileage I don't see the point in a diesel; petrol 4x4s are usually a lot cheaper to buy (used) and you can't recoup the extra money of a diesel at such low mileages. We have a 4 litre auto Grand Cherokee and even that is no worse than my old Omega 3 litre auto estate, so the running costs aren't unbearable if you are not using it too much. 

Saying that, in the bad snow a couple of years ago, we were virtually unstoppable in a K11 Micra.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 December 2012, 18:27:58 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will send her the link for this thread. I think the Forester sounds a good choice, for size and AWD, and auto. :y :y :y

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 December 2012, 18:31:45 »

for god sake....NO....rubbish...and it is not nick named the gay lander for nothing
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 December 2012, 18:34:36 »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will send her the link for this thread. I think the Forester sounds a good choice, for size and AWD, and auto. :y :y :y

They are a good reliable vehicle,however they are also quite thirsty even in manual form.
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

omega3000

« Reply #27 on: 17 December 2012, 19:23:02 »

for god sake....NO....rubbish...and it is not nick named the gay lander for nothing

Quite a few of those for sale , and my ex bought one . A few days later the clutch went then the gearbox then the head gasket  :-X

acope

• Tamworth Staffs
    • Daewoo Musso...sorry !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 December 2012, 21:38:48 »

Daewoo Musso 2.9TD, Merc 5 pot engine, auto or clunker thingies cracking motor, had mine 4 years and NEVER let me down, and you can run it on veggie oil...or if you have a few pennies try the Ssangyong Rexton 2.9, which is basically a musso with a new body on it, bit more refined but still the same basics.
Dont touch the Rexton 2.7TD, faster..better mpg but let down badly by appalling electrics, you need a special piece of diagnostic equipment to read its faults and half the main dealers dont have one, its called a Scan 100 and can cost up to nearly 2grand to buy one, but its the only piece of equipment that will read the onboard computer.
ALAN

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 January 2013, 16:35:33 »

Happy New Year, and thanks again everyone, she has just bought this 1 owner Forester: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/subaru/forester/used-subaru-forester-2-5-xt-5dr-auto-aylesford-fpa-201218467396070 which looks a reasonable buy, especially after watching this clip posted by Cem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_MXK2nzt2Y

:y :y :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 08 March 2017, 16:16:26 »

Update: Daughter still has this car, loves it, has had no problems with it, and intends to keep it until it drops, taking after her Dad. :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 March 2017, 20:31:03 »

Edit:

Read 1st page and then replied. Didn't see it was resolved.  ::)

Glad daughter is happy with the Subaru. Never owned one but always had a soft spot for them  :y
« Last Edit: 08 March 2017, 20:36:03 by jimmy944 »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2018, 19:20:25 »

Puff puff, I hope the dust has cleared.
Just an update, daughter still has the Scooby, and still loves it, has had no serious issues with it, and although she could afford a Ferrari if she wished, is waiting for a Scooby with a turbo. Apparently current ones haven't got one. :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2018, 19:30:47 »

Well that's no fun :D
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.