Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6  (Read 101392 times)

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
  • VX Trade Card, Halfords Trade Card. Neat.
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
Re: humbucker's 2004 Irmscher MV6 #irmscherMV6
« Reply #210 on: 04 November 2015, 14:31:08 »

Hi Bojan. Thanks for the positive feedback. Yes, it makes sense to swap out every part that might cause problems later down the line, but I have to balance that with the fact that I have incredibly limited free time at my disposal, meaning that the project drags on that much further each time that I decide to play about with it. There is definitely something to be said for the 'rough and ready' approach that sees a car up and running without concern for the quality of its component parts (worry about it later and just enjoy the thrill of driving!), but then again, I'm not under pressure to get my MV6 on the road by any particular deadline. Besides, I'm having a lot of fun with the car and I'm learning new things along the way, which I'm sure you will agree is the point of a project like this. For those that have been kind enough to show an interest, I'll continue to post updates whenever evenings and weekends allow me enough time to tinker.

I used Hammerite 'Direct To Rust' paint for the block, gearbox, propshaft etc. Each part needed a few coats (four in the case of the propshaft) to ensure complete coverage.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2015, 14:32:44 by humbucker »
http://www.irmscherMV6.com | #irmscherMV6
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 04 November 2015, 15:17:18 »

Humbucker, I have read this thread with great interest, and sorry to say it makes what I'm trying to do with my old girl look like wiping over Monet's Waterlillies with a damp rag, in comparison.  :) However, I try and do the research where I can, in case budget allows it. Along the way I found (and have used) Rustbuster 121 Mastic. The name sounds both 'JML Shopping Channel' and 'flash in the pan gimmick' at the same time, however it really is high quality stuff. Just wondering if you'd heard of, or considered it on your travels, as it is speifically formulated to work in areas prone to stone chips, salt erosion etc. Basically the underneath of a car or the an offshore oil rig  :y

Keep up the good work,  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #212 on: 04 November 2015, 21:48:03 »

Hi DBG. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I know of Rustbuster. The company advertises in Retro Cars magazine (one of the other titles that I write for). I think I'm right in saying that Rustbuster's workshops are in Spalding.

I'm admin over at the Mk3 Cavalier Owners Club forum http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com. One of our members, Telegram Sam, recently took his pre-facelift SRi hatchback to Rustbuster in order for the car to be subjected to one of the firm's in-house multi-stage rustproofing treatments. He is very pleased with the results, so much so that I'm tempted to take a wander to over to Spalding as soon as the MV6 is up and running. The 121 epoxy mastic that you mention gets great reviews.

"It gave the best anti-corrosion results with no visible signs of rusting along the panel or the score mark - tough enough for a stand alone chassis coating" - OnTest Verdict in Practical Classics
Genuine Tech1 and Tech2 diagnostic services for Vauxhalls and Saabs available in and around Cambs.
PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #213 on: 04 November 2015, 22:35:08 »

A sneak peek of what's been happening at The Wheel Genie. Yup, you're looking at my staggered Irmscher Sport Stars getting a lick of BMW E39 M5 Chrome Shadow paint following a comprehensive restoration procedure. More to follow :)

PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #214 on: 28 December 2015, 19:45:05 »

I'm currently sifting through a load of photos in advance of updating this project thread. In the meantime, my latest published progress report can be seen in the new issue of Performance Vauxhall magazine. Pop along to Tesco, WHSmith etc. or download by clicking here.

« Last Edit: 28 December 2015, 19:52:21 by humbucker »
PM with your requests.

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • omega mv6 2jz and audi s3
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 03 January 2016, 22:51:56 »

Hi there it's Looking very impressive I can't even imagine how many hours of hard work
Is going into this project well done mate  :y

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #216 on: 03 January 2016, 23:33:27 »

Hi there it's Looking very impressive I can't even imagine how many hours of hard work

Cheers mate. Most of the time that I'm with the car seems to be spent cleaning mucky engine and chassis components! Fortunately, my other motors are on hand to keep my spirits up whenever I sense the onset of boredom, hehehe!
PM with your requests.

ted_one

« Reply #217 on: 04 January 2016, 18:30:22 »

Am planning to take all three cars up to Rustbuster in the coming months, and possibly I'll be able to report back as to the results on the Omegas.I have done some underbody treatment with Bilt Hamber S80 but for me the Rustbuster method seems thorough and they have repair facilities for that unseen problem once the strip down is done.Also I hope to possibly incorporate a visit to Sereks place on the way back after each treatment if the need for his services arise.Looking forward to a busy summer and getting all the last bits of fettling done :y

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #218 on: 04 January 2016, 23:32:47 »

Am planning to take all three cars up to Rustbuster in the coming months, and possibly I'll be able to report back as to the results on the Omegas.I have done some underbody treatment with Bilt Hamber S80 but for me the Rustbuster method seems thorough and they have repair facilities for that unseen problem once the strip down is done.Also I hope to possibly incorporate a visit to Sereks place on the way back after each treatment if the need for his services arise.Looking forward to a busy summer and getting all the last bits of fettling done :y

Good shout. I'm probably going to give them a call regarding the underside of my Silver Shadow II. Did I mention to you that one of the lads at http://www.vauxhallcavalier.com recently had his SRi's chassis protected by Rustbuster? I think he's heading back in March for another round of whatever it is they did to his car during his previous visit.
PM with your requests.

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 05 January 2016, 19:55:12 »

Cheers mate. Most of the time that I'm with the car seems to be spent cleaning mucky engine and chassis components! Fortunately, my other motors are on hand to keep my spirits up whenever I sense the onset of boredom, hehehe!

Hi yeah I definitely no what you mean I spent 5 years doing my conversion
And nearlly gave up on it a few times lol it was hard spending all that time and money
And not being able to drive and enjoy it. I'm glad I percivierd and finished it. I'm looking forward
To seeing yours all finished good luck with it :y

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #220 on: 05 January 2016, 20:46:01 »

Hi yeah I definitely no what you mean I spent 5 years doing my conversion
And nearlly gave up on it a few times lol it was hard spending all that time and money
And not being able to drive and enjoy it. I'm glad I percivierd and finished it. I'm looking forward
To seeing yours all finished good luck with it :y

Yours is a tidy conversion. You must be dead chuffed that it's up and running without fault. I need to get into the habit of posting pictures of my progress at the point that I'm doing the work. I've got a trillion photos to sift through now. Sheesh. Oh well, here goes...!
PM with your requests.

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 05 January 2016, 20:57:49 »

Thanks it's been a lot of graft thow lol.
Yeah i to have loads of pictures to put together sometime in the near future lol.
it has been surprisingly very reliable I am really happy with the progress. it's stored away at the moment while I Make a new full exhaust system for it because the original is to small
And it's in desperate need of a new suspension. it will be back out in a couple
Months I reckon and hopefully will be running alittle more boost so that will be exciting lol  ;D

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #222 on: 05 January 2016, 23:28:42 »

As you can probably tell from one of my previous posts, I didn't realise that the engine's hydraulic lifters could be dismantled! Anyway, after squeezing all of the cak out of them, I ended up pulling them apart and giving them a wipe clean for good measure. If only I'd known that was possible before I started getting busy with them! Doh!

I decided to remove the car's rear brake calipers so that they can be stripped and powdercoated to match the six-pot Brembos at the front. The pipe nuts were having none of it and registered their disapproval by snapping my brake spanner. Sheesh. I ended up cutting the brake pipes to get the calipers off! I'll make some replacement pipes when the calipers are ready to go back on.

What a mess!

I added a new genuine fuel filter while I was digging around at the back of the car. And why not, eh?!

PM with your requests.

humbucker

• Omega Baron
  • Cambridgeshire
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
    • View Profile
    • www.irmscherMV6.com
« Reply #223 on: 06 January 2016, 00:12:36 »

I've got loads of genuine GM screw-on oil filters in my arsenal of service parts due to the fact that I've owned a succession of Cavalier Turbos. It made sense to ditch the MV6's permacanister and convert the filter type to that of the Cavaliers.

Canister removed:

Spin-on connector and permanent threadlock:

Fitted:

I also installed a TX Autosport magnetic sump plug. Tried and tested on my Cavaliers:

PM with your requests.

chuftsmv6

• Intermediate Member
  • stoke on trent
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 06 January 2016, 03:10:24 »

Wow that must of been one hell of a seized bolt lol  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 18 queries.