Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring hose clamps - supplier?  (Read 3430 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Spring hose clamps - supplier?
« on: 16 July 2015, 14:55:27 »

I've had enough of jubilee clips. Does anyone know where I can buy an assortment of constant force spring hose clamps as used for the coolant hoses on an Omega out of the factory?

This sort of thing:

I have seen single clamps on Ebay, and assortments designed more for fuel hoses that don't really reach the larger end of the size spectrum needed for coolant hoses. Problem is, you need to select one that's the right size, so I'd like a box of assorted sizes really.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

Re: Spring hose clamps - supplier?
« Reply #1 on: 16 July 2015, 15:21:29 »

Hm.. I found these just the other day. Of course I can't find them again, now..

These people list small ones but say larger are available: http://abbeyclamps.co.uk/index.php/self-closing-ear-clamps.html

This lot list all sorts of sizes: https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/36-rotor-spring-band-hose-clamp-constant-tension

Neither are the site I found the other day. :(

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 July 2015, 15:41:17 »

Try these guys.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2015, 15:52:30 »

Wow! Many thanks for the suggestions, chaps. :y

No assortments on offer that I can see, but they are cheap enough that I'll just buy a load in a range of sizes and make my own, I think.

Thanks again.

Now to fix my incontinent LPG vapouriser. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2015, 19:19:41 »

Yes I remember posting similar re oppsing hopeless jubilees, and remember masters words that they provide equal pressure around the entire circumference and automatically adjust to natural compression of the rubber hose over time. Something jubilees can't possibly do, and they always have a flat on the worm gear that leaks by eventually.

I didn't fully appreciate Masters words at the time, but they where ringing in my ears as I fitted the poxy things in the LPG kit, and again as I swappd them out for spring clips gathered from another car. They seize, they wear the thread, the thread brakes, they have a flat on the worm gear, they can't automatically adjust to expansion and hence the ALWAYS leak. Grrrrrrrr ;

rant off! ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 July 2015, 21:54:59 »

I didn't fully appreciate Masters words at the time, but they where ringing in my ears as I fitted the poxy things in the LPG kit, and again as I swappd them out for spring clips gathered from another car. They seize, they wear the thread, the thread brakes, they have a flat on the worm gear, they can't automatically adjust to expansion and hence they ALWAYS leak. Grrrrrrrr ;

The millions of them sold for the last 94 years always leak? This seems unlikely, especially considering the uses they get put to. I've had more problems with the constant tension clamps on the Omega than I have with all the other cars I've owned over the last 27 years. Which is why I bin the spring clamps and replace them with a branded clip. Worm drive clamps cover a wide range of sizing, and the overlap is good, so finding one that fits the diameter correctly(use the smallest one possible) is easy.

As for the much mentioned expansion, once again, just how much do the components on an engine actually expand? Add the expansion in the clamp, and the give in the hose, and the expansion requirement is even smaller. My suspicion is that we'd struggle to measure it with everyday instruments, which makes the whole point moot.

The flat for the worm gear can be a problem in smaller sizes, so care must be taken.

Jubilee clips do rust, but then so do the spring clamps as they're made of steel! A seized worm is easily removed with decent side cutters.

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 July 2015, 21:57:21 »

I didn't fully appreciate Masters words at the time, but they where ringing in my ears as I fitted the poxy things in the LPG kit, and again as I swappd them out for spring clips gathered from another car. They seize, they wear the thread, the thread brakes, they have a flat on the worm gear, they can't automatically adjust to expansion and hence they ALWAYS leak. Grrrrrrrr ;

The millions of them sold for the last 94 years always leak? This seems unlikely, especially considering the uses they get put to. I've had more problems with the constant tension clamps on the Omega than I have with all the other cars I've owned over the last 27 years. Which is why I bin the spring clamps and replace them with a branded clip. Worm drive clamps cover a wide range of sizing, and the overlap is good, so finding one that fits the diameter correctly(use the smallest one possible) is easy.

As for the much mentioned expansion, once again, just how much do the components on an engine actually expand? Add the expansion in the clamp, and the give in the hose, and the expansion requirement is even smaller. My suspicion is that we'd struggle to measure it with everyday instruments, which makes the whole point moot.

The flat for the worm gear can be a problem in smaller sizes, so care must be taken.

Jubilee clips do rust, but then so do the spring clamps as they're made of steel! A seized worm is easily removed with decent side cutters.

Fit an LPG kit with supplied oppsing shite jubilee clips,  then we'll talk some more. :)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 16 July 2015, 23:52:51 »

Clearly a sign of the wrong part for the job... ;) but cheap jubilee clips are probably half the price of spring clips :-\

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 July 2015, 00:08:44 »

I'm with Nick.  If you use the right size Jubilee Clip and use the right amount of torque to fasten them, you should never have any prolems.  Most people, including Mechanics do them up FT which will cause the worm to fail.  The hose should be a tight fit anyway, and should make a decent seal.  The idea of the clip is to stop it falling off in normal use!  Nip it up and check for leaks, if there is a leak, a quater turn is all you normally need.  Over tighten and you will pinch the rubber, or destroy the worm.

Spring clips are a pain in the ass.  You have to get the EXACT size to fit the application, you need a decent tool (fnar) to fit and loosen them... That tool never fits in the small hole (fnar fnar) you are working in.. Meh.  Horses for Courses.  I'll stick to what I prefer and have never had problems with, ta.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 July 2015, 00:08:56 »

Clearly a sign of the wrong part for the job... ;) but cheap jubilee clips are probably half the price of spring clips :-\

And generally work well enough............. ;) ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 17 July 2015, 00:38:41 »

Aye... Was refering to the 'complete' lpg front end kits supplied with cheap jubilee clips rather than stainless spring ones thereby increasing the suppliers margins ;)

chrisgixer

• Omega Baron
  • Woking ham
  • Banned
    • Irmscher 3.2 Elite lpg
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17 July 2015, 00:39:23 »

Er, well, no. Actually, that's the point. They don't, and is why manufacturers dont use them on the cooling system.

Like Nick and others I was slightly skeptical at Marks comments all those years ago. But he's absolutely right. As usual.

Expansion and contraction of rubber hose over thousands of heat cycles under a fixed diameter fitting means the jubilee will, eventually, leak by. Especially by the worm gear.

Just does. Presume Kevs issue is similar.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.