Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Encourage me to buy an Mv6  (Read 15427 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Encourage me to buy an Mv6
« Reply #15 on: 22 September 2016, 19:21:27 »

If you are doing 15K a year have a think on LPG, check availability near you and consider cost of conversion, either DIY or professional .. big difference in price ... but both are possibles. Omega V6 takes to LPG like a duck to water, and IMHO is the way to go  :)

Yep, my 3.2 is achieving a fuel cost of less than 12p per mile on LPG currently. That's less than my previous car (1.8 Laguna) was costing on fuel back on 2006 petrol prices. :o
Neither of mine are ::o. Manage a shade over 200 miles from last tank of gas, hence had to do a shed load of miles on petrol.

Its all the mongrels getting in my way.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 September 2016, 19:24:58 »

Tell me it'll be fine !!!B  :o
Had one of mine for 13 or 14yrs now, paid £3199 for it.  Its a bit tired, and the rust has taken hold.  Tried looking for a replacement, and failed so far to find another marque/model that matches it with a £10k budget.

Read into that what you like :)
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 September 2016, 19:54:26 »

He's looked through the service history but there is no evidence of the oil cooler being done, ....

My Omega is now long gone ..... I never did the oil cooler in the 10 yrs I had mine because it never needed doing ..... sold at 180k miles

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 September 2016, 20:10:07 »

He's looked through the service history but there is no evidence of the oil cooler being done, ....

My Omega is now long gone ..... I never did the oil cooler in the 10 yrs I had mine because it never needed doing ..... sold at 180k miles

Yep, good coolant servicing, probably. Mine is fine at 198k and 13 years.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 September 2016, 20:50:49 »

If you are doing 15K a year have a think on LPG, check availability near you and consider cost of conversion, either DIY or professional .. big difference in price ... but both are possibles. Omega V6 takes to LPG like a duck to water, and IMHO is the way to go  :)

Yep, my 3.2 is achieving a fuel cost of less than 12p per mile on LPG currently. That's less than my previous car (1.8 Laguna) was costing on fuel back on 2006 petrol prices. :o
Neither of mine are ::o. Manage a shade over 200 miles from last tank of gas, hence had to do a shed load of miles on petrol.

Its all the mongrels getting in my way.

Thats atrocious fuel useage, either need to leave office earlier or think about another job. Got 620 miles out of the VW tank, with range still saying 55 miles and no way near the red.

ted_one

« Reply #20 on: 22 September 2016, 20:59:47 »

One of my 3.2's has done 236.000 miles and still runs like a Rolex,remapped it seems a bit better on fuel,and still pulls like a train when given the beans.Cambelt history is an obvious and if you are piling on the miles that will come around a bit quicker.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 22 September 2016, 21:06:48 »

The problem with the 3.2, is its sh*t. The 3.0 engine is far, far better on fuel. The 3.2 offers no significant difference in performance to compensate for this appalling fuel use.

The drive by wire V6s also idle like a bag of spanners, the old valve setup on the 3.0 is far smoother.

Performance is good, not great, not amazing. Just good. A modern 6 pot diesel will make mince meat out of the 3.2, the long gearing really does not help. 8 speed auto diesels will easily keep pace.

I would never buy a 3.2 again, prefer a 3.0 auto or 2.5 manual. That said the 3.2 will be my last Omega, its days are numbered.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2016, 21:08:29 by tunnie »

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 22 September 2016, 21:31:41 »

Thank you all for the interesting opinions.
For some reason, I'm not too fussed about Fuel consumption*, and Unlike some other cars I have owned, there is clearly a reasonable amount of knowledge out there (here), should I need to tap into it.

In the event that It breaks down, we have a spare car (a mk1 mx5), which I can use to get to work, although it's not much good for taking 5 people and suitcases on a long journey. Wife's Bini is erm a 3 seater if I have to drive, but actually quite comfy in the back.

*I've estimated I'll spend an extra £1000 a year, but compare that to my peers who spend £350 a month to lease a merc diesel, I think that for a couple of years I want to scratch the V6 itch I've had since I had one as a hire car for work in 1995, (a V6 CD, that I managed to get to 9 mpg in the 12 miles between my house and the M58-cross country at 5 am. It eventually rose to 21 after a full week of use)

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 September 2016, 21:43:07 »

He said "Encourage" Tunnie.. Not rip the car to bits that you have had in your family for donkeys years  ::) ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 September 2016, 21:49:43 »

He said "Encourage" Tunnie.. Not rip the car to bits that you have had in your family for donkeys years  ::) ::)

Only had 3.2 for about 4 years or so, just my views on it.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 September 2016, 21:54:49 »

The problem with the 3.2, is its sh*t. The 3.0 engine is far, far better on fuel. The 3.2 offers no significant difference in performance to compensate for this appalling fuel use.

The drive by wire V6s also idle like a bag of spanners, the old valve setup on the 3.0 is far smoother.

Performance is good, not great, not amazing. Just good. A modern 6 pot diesel will make mince meat out of the 3.2, the long gearing really does not help. 8 speed auto diesels will easily keep pace.

I would never buy a 3.2 again, prefer a 3.0 auto or 2.5 manual. That said the 3.2 will be my last Omega, its days are numbered.

One of my 3.2's has done 236.000 miles and still runs like a Rolex,remapped it seems a bit better on fuel,and still pulls like a train when given the beans. Cambelt history is an obvious and if you are piling on the miles that will come around a bit quicker.

Might the words I've marked in Bold be the problem and the solution ?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 September 2016, 22:04:17 »

Not really.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 September 2016, 22:19:23 »

Not really.

You seem fixated on fuel consumption, but remember, if you enjoy driving your Omega, this is not even a consideration. :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 September 2016, 22:23:27 »

Not really.

You seem fixated on fuel consumption, but remember, if you enjoy driving your Omega, this is not even a consideration. :y

I think his 15k a year miles would make it a consideration :)

But he is buying, so buy 3.0. Just as fast, same to drive. But far better engine in so many ways.

I enjoy driving my 3.2, but their days are numbered now.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 September 2016, 22:31:23 »

Only one question...

Why haven't you bought it yet?

Don't worry about Tunnies gripes ;)

The Omega can easily see well over 250,000 miles, even driven hard. In fact higher mileage ones are a better buy as they've been kept in use, and don't respond well to neglect.

All Omegas suffer from:

Suspension wear
Heater Bypass Valve Failure
Camcover leaks
Coil/dis pack failure
Crankshaft Sensor
Steering idler wear
Central locking motors
Tyre wear from poor geometry

Typically these all occur between 80-150k, and every item is well documented and easily fixed.

Buy a car that's had the bulk of things sorted recently,  but be realistic and expect to repeat them as you put miles on.

When I sold it at 285k, my ex police 3.2 manual was still on its original engine, oil cooler, gearbox and diff, and that was inspite of being written off three times and being used as a taxi.

Have owned 2.0 16v, 2.2, 2.6, 3x3.2, and imho the 3.2 is the pick. Easier to work on than the 2.5/3.0 due to less plumbing. Sure, a side effect of the dbw throttle is a slightly coarse idle, but that is also true of the 2.2, and only occurs because the ecu tweaks the fuelling to control it instead of the traditional ICV arrangement.

Buy that MV6 on visual condition, and don't look back :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.