Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Encourage me to buy an Mv6  (Read 15401 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Encourage me to buy an Mv6
« Reply #90 on: 02 October 2016, 11:46:44 »

Should I keep one in the boot just in case, or replace the existing one, just in case ?

Omegas are no worse for crank sensor failure than any other car. If you're worried about it, then buy a new, genuine one from a dealer(this is true for all marques), fit it, and forget about it.
Omega V6 has a problem in that a duff/failing crank sensor does leave you stranded.  Of course, some other cars do as well, though many cars do actually still limp you home when the crank sensor fails.

How does that work then?
As VXL V6 says, some engines can limp you home using the cam sensor. The 2.0 and 2.2 petrol Omegas for instance.

With the V6, its a trip on the tow truck...
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 03 October 2016, 09:45:06 »

To partially answer TickTock, I know what you mean - it does sound like an offputting thread! But of course this is centres around problems with the Omega, not the benefits. There's a list as long as the Humber Bridge of things which we could mention the Omega doesn't suffer with/not a major problem, which lots of other cars do suffer from. There's plenty of potential problems, as with any car, but which of those problems you personally encounter would, statistically/in reality, be in the minority. There's a lot of blokes on here many with more than one car, so say one problem a week between all of us isn't so bad an average.

Most of the problems are really just niggles and us trying to get things tip top/as new, rather than critical 'stranded by the roadside' failures. Also a lot of overthinking on certain members parts (such as me) comes into play, too. Can i scientifically measure my fuel trims / ignition timing being my latest stupid thought. There's nothing wrong with my engine, that I can tell, I'm just looking for a problem!  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Bojan

• Intermediate Member
  • Croatia, Slavonski Brod
    • MV6 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 03 October 2016, 09:51:49 »

To partially answer TickTock, I know what you mean - it does sound like an offputting thread! But of course this is centres around problems with the Omega, not the benefits.

The strongest benefit of Omega is it's depreciation.
Not for those who bought the car new, though.
But for us who bought them in last 10 years, definitely.

What you pay vs what you get is really hard to beat.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 03 October 2016, 09:57:27 »

In four years of ownership my MV6 never let me down, I had a misfire due to leaking cam covers which I replaced and cleaned the breathers out to prevent it happening again and replaced the HT leads with some from Euro Crap Parts for less than £50.

You get a lot of car for your money, they`re a good drive, go well and handle well, enjoy it and don`t get paranoid about it breaking down  :y

ted_one

« Reply #94 on: 03 October 2016, 10:04:50 »

Both my MV6's 3.0 and 3.2 are blinding cars and have been ultra reliable,and although they need a bit of fettling from time to time,what car doesn't? People ask why do you drive old cars? I tell them it's because I can't afford a new one ::) I'm never going to tell them the real reason..because they just wouldn't understand :)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 03 October 2016, 10:28:16 »

Both my MV6's 3.0 and 3.2 are blinding cars and have been ultra reliable,and although they need a bit of fettling from time to time,what car doesn't? People ask why do you drive old cars? I tell them it's because I can't afford a new one ::) I'm never going to tell them the real reason..because they just wouldn't understand :)

Most people wouldn't   :(

I'm fortunate that I only use my car once, maybe twice a week, with the longest round trip being about 60 miles, so with it on the driveway most of the time I can afford to tinker with it...... and that kinda sums up my interest, or fetish for these old motors. I'd like to think that most of the common issues have been addressed on my CDX, and doing the work myself (when I'm in the mood and can spare a few hours) can be very therapeutic.

Get one and pay for someone else to do all the work can work out costly, so to sum up in my case - it's a hobby, and still stand my comment that luck plays a big part in driving anything 16 years old.  ;)
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

ted_one

« Reply #96 on: 03 October 2016, 14:53:36 »

For me it's the reverse,my days of scrabbling around under cars are over,years ago cars were simpler to fix and gradually they have understandably had to become more complicated.I have gained through watching OOF members like James V6, Daz Taxi Al and Serek a thorough 'hands off' working knowledge of the Omega.I find it better for my sanity to allow these guys to problem solve and do the fix,because where you find it therapeutic,I find that my anger management issues tend to manifest themselves PDQ, and having a large selection of tools to make a choice from,I'm pretty liable to use the biggest hammer in the most inappropriate way on the car >:( >:( >:( ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 03 October 2016, 19:56:27 »

Not wanting to be a killjoy, but the replies to this topic 'encourage me to buy an MV6' would put most people off, although it's been interesting reading so far..............

I guess it all boils down to - Do you feel lucky?

In over a quarter of a million miles of Omega ownerships I've replaced 1 crank sensor, and half the problem was its routing close to the exhaust. The replacement sensor wiring now runs nearer the ABS unit, as do most that are replaced by others.

What amuses me (or sometimes keeps me awake at nights) is what else should I be carrying in the boot, just in case? Blocks of wood to chock the wheels when using the Vauxhall jack, axle stands, a full set of sockets, spanners and screwdrivers, electrical tester, workshop manual, etc, etc. Maybe the solution is to tow a complete Omega around behind - A. to put all the kit in, and B. as a source of spare parts just in case.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but yes, it's all down to luck, and a bit of preparation / planned maintenance and care.  :D :D

I guess it is the umbrella syndrome, if you carry one it never rains. I carry a spare CS and HBV in the boot. They take up no room, and I feel more comfortable, on overseas trips especially. À chacun son goût. :y

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 04 October 2016, 21:43:51 »

I have driven it 780 miles at 31.5 mpg, average speed was 65 mph, for the first 400 miles and now 45 mph.

Almost definitely the braking issues appears to be a warped front disc.  Will investigate further tomorrow.

Wife was VERY unhappy, and is now less unhappy, as she sat for 4 hours to Cardiff and 5 hours back with no pain. Which is one of the reasons for wanting one. she has some back issues, and the mk4 astra is the most uncomfortable ride ever.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 05 October 2016, 18:10:07 »

I have driven it 780 miles at 31.5 mpg, average speed was 65 mph, for the first 400 miles and now 45 mph.

Almost definitely the braking issues appears to be a warped front disc.  Will investigate further tomorrow.

Wife was VERY unhappy, and is now less unhappy, as she sat for 4 hours to Cardiff and 5 hours back with no pain. Which is one of the reasons for wanting one. she has some back issues, and the mk4 astra is the most uncomfortable ride ever.

My wife never fails to mention how comfortable she finds the car, when she rides in it, with which I concur, and is one of the main reasons that I love the cars. The second being the minimal amount I have spent on servicing over the 17 years of ownership. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 05 October 2016, 18:42:36 »

As someone with a particularly sensitive back, I have no troubles doing 900 miles in a day in an Omega. Other than Mrs TB has to do a stint for a couple of hours whilst I close my eyes.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 05 October 2016, 18:43:22 »

Don't rule out worn wishbone bushes, not dissimilar sensation.
Grumpy old man

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 06 October 2016, 21:07:51 »

I will be taking the wheels off to further investigate shortly.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 13 October 2016, 21:59:53 »

The problem with the 3.2, is its sh*t. The 3.0 engine is far, far better on fuel. The 3.2 offers no significant difference in performance to compensate for this appalling fuel use.

The drive by wire V6s also idle like a bag of spanners, the old valve setup on the 3.0 is far smoother.

Performance is good, not great, not amazing. Just good. A modern 6 pot diesel will make mince meat out of the 3.2, the long gearing really does not help. 8 speed auto diesels will easily keep pace.

I would never buy a 3.2 again, prefer a 3.0 auto or 2.5 manual. That said the 3.2 will be my last Omega, its days are numbered.

Why not a 3.0 manual instead of a 2.5 manual?

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 19 October 2016, 23:33:04 »

Given the tramlining and the clunk I heard this morning I'm sure you could be right. Wish bones look fairly new, but could be nasty cheap chineese shite.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.