Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OBD port not working  (Read 2903 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
OBD port not working
« on: 09 December 2016, 00:26:57 »

So, I decided to hook up my el cheapo OBD scanner to see if there were any stored codes (CEL is not on) and see what info was on there.  When I hook up my code reader it sits there for 1min or so doing a read and then comes back with "communication error!" 

I'm 99.9% certain this is an issue with the car rather than he reader as I have 3 scanners (2 cheapo orange ones, 1 from Argos, one from eBay and a wifi one that talks to my phone) and all give variations on the same error. I've tested the wifi ones on the bimmer and they talk just fine.

So far, my understanding is this:
1. Being a late model FL Desmond, it should be OBD compliant
2. I don't think it's a problem with the fuse as all the code readers power up fine.

Are the above correct? And if so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for as a diagnosis?

I should probably also mention that the only other issue that's even vaguely connected is that the temperature gauge had gone into a sulk and won't move more than about 1mm off its stop. However I do t think this is connected as iirc the temp circuit on the dash is just resistance on a wire, it doesn't talk to the ecu/ gauge cluster at all. Could be wrong though  :-\

Any pointers greatly appreciated!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: OBD port not working
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2016, 01:45:46 »

Code reader won't tell you that the temp gauge wire has slipped off the sensor. ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 December 2016, 08:12:06 »

I realise that  ;D. Only reason I haven't tackled the temp gauge is that until I set my mind to looking in the internet earlier this week I didn't know where it was. Not sure yet if the wiring will be to blame or if the sensor needs changing. I suspect the sensor only because it went through a period of working only when it felt like it.

I would have thought if the wire had come adrift it would have just totally stopped one day. Either way it's a chap and straightforward fix  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 December 2016, 08:32:13 »

I realise that  ;D. Only reason I haven't tackled the temp gauge is that until I set my mind to looking in the internet earlier this week I didn't know where it was. Not sure yet if the wiring will be to blame or if the sensor needs changing. I suspect the sensor only because it went through a period of working only when it felt like it.

I would have thought if the wire had come adrift it would have just totally stopped one day. Either way it's a chap and straightforward fix  :y
The gauges all move slightly when the ignition is switched on ;) but yes, a nice easy job on the 2.2, unplugging the coilpack loom makes visibility/access easier...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 December 2016, 11:08:25 »

So, I decided to hook up my el cheapo OBD scanner to see if there were any stored codes (CEL is not on) and see what info was on there.  When I hook up my code reader it sits there for 1min or so doing a read and then comes back with "communication error!" 

I'm 99.9% certain this is an issue with the car rather than he reader as I have 3 scanners (2 cheapo orange ones, 1 from Argos, one from eBay and a wifi one that talks to my phone) and all give variations on the same error. I've tested the wifi ones on the bimmer and they talk just fine.

2. I don't think it's a problem with the fuse as all the code readers power up fine.

Are the above correct? And if so does anyone have any suggestions as to what to look for as a diagnosis?

I should probably also mention that the only other issue that's even vaguely connected is that the temperature gauge had gone into a sulk and won't move more than about 1mm off its stop. However I do t think this is connected as iirc the temp circuit on the dash is just resistance on a wire, it doesn't talk to the ecu/ gauge cluster at all. Could be wrong though  :-\

Obviously it isn't, as quite a few diesel's weren't complient, till 2003, yours is probably a 2001, registered in 2002.
Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 December 2016, 11:12:01 »

Obviously it isn't, as quite a few diesel's weren't complient, till 2003, yours is probably a 2001, registered in 2002.
Which would be perfectly reasonable if it were a diesel ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 December 2016, 11:15:27 »

1. Being a late model FL Desmonds, it should be OBD compliant

Must be me. But he's always right. 8)
Hoof'land storeman.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 December 2016, 11:17:39 »

1. Being a late model FL Desmonds, it should be OBD compliant

Which would be perfectly reasonable if it were a diesel ::)
Hoof'land storeman.

powerslinky

« Reply #8 on: 09 December 2016, 16:02:21 »

I am probably missing a huge "obvious" point here  . . .but . . .if it was not OBD compliant  .  .why would

it have an OBD port?       
« Last Edit: 09 December 2016, 16:18:14 by Essex Big Al »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2016, 17:12:59 »

I am probably missing a huge "obvious" point here  . . .but . . .if it was not OBD compliant  .  .why would

it have an OBD port?     

The fourteen pin connector in the dashboard fusebox used for Tech2 diagnostics is an OBD spec connector. But it's only post 2001 cars that are OBD compliant.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 December 2016, 17:32:54 »

it have an OBD port?     

The fourteen pin connector in the dashboard fusebox used for Tech2 diagnostics is an OBD spec connector. But it's only post 2001 cars that are OBD compliant.
OBD (on board diagnostics) was originally an American requirement. Most manufacturers started using the plug but used their own protocol.

Later on (around 2000) the Americans required standard generic functions to be available on every car and called it OBD2. The EU did something similar and called it EOBD. The manufacturers now provide a core set of generic functions but still add their own protocol on top.

To get the generic codes that any cheapo reader can access you need an OBD2/EOBD compliant car.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

powerslinky

« Reply #11 on: 09 December 2016, 18:00:08 »

Thank you gentlemen for that explanation  . . now I  understand  . . well some of it  ;D ;D ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2016, 10:35:52 »

Thanks guys. I checked/felt the wiring for the temp sender and it all seems good. Gave it a waggle but no joy. So am suspecting a duff sender. Have one on order though probably won't go in till after Christmas now.  ::)

I'm also going to pull the OBD port and have a look for bent pins/loose wires. Not sure what else could be causing the connection issue.  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 December 2016, 11:48:22 »

European post 2001 Omegas, including the post 2001 2.2 are EOBD compliant to comply with EU rules. EOBD is desperately similar to the American OBDII standard, but crucially not identical.

Due to the US post 1996 laws, ODBII has been around longer, and has a large market, so generic chipsets are plentiful. EOBD is only for a small, insignificant continent, and far newer...

Thus, quality, genuine branded readers can usually read them, but the cheap far Chinese tat, such as that rebranded by the likes of Sealey, Clarke etc, and fakes (including *ALL* the tat of ebay) are at best "fussy" or mostly won't read. Or worse, rather that say it can't read, return "no codes stored" etc.
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14 December 2016, 14:15:26 »

TB, thanks for the clarification! I wasn't aware of the EOBD standard.

At least I now know that that bit of my car isn't misbehaving!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.