Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Using keys/remote from spare car?  (Read 6498 times)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Using keys/remote from spare car?
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2017, 21:43:41 »

All the intake stuff must come out. And radiator to make room. Bonnet off and plastic scuttle off. Then remove all coolant hoses and servo hoses and disconnect all wires. Fuel lines, throttle cable and sai pipework. And the Vacuum hoses. Unbolt exhaust downpipes from manifolds both sides. Then its all gearbox connections. Wiring and shifter. Probably some more stuff i forgot. Remove propeller shaft and unbolt gearbox rear crossmember. Unbolt engine mounts and engine with gearbox should lift out. Need to Get front of the car pretty high to allow space for the gearbox to swing down when the bottom front of the engine goes over the front of the car.

Now this is a good challenge :y :y

This thread started about remote controls and it has now got to this! Cars eh? What challenges you can make out of what started as "a five minute job" ;D ;D ;D

How many of those jobs have I had over the years; too many to count! ;D

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 April 2017, 06:05:43 »

And remove autobox with engine. Else you'll have a hell of a job lining it up to get it back in, ultimately damaging the input shaft seals on the box.

You always leave the torque converter in the tranny so I don't really see how you are gonna damage the input shaft in any way? Ofcourse if you take the torque converter out for whatever reason instead of unbolting it from the flexplate first then thats another story.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 April 2017, 14:33:01 »

And remove autobox with engine. Else you'll have a hell of a job lining it up to get it back in, ultimately damaging the input shaft seals on the box.

You always leave the torque converter in the tranny so I don't really see how you are gonna damage the input shaft in any way? Ofcourse if you take the torque converter out for whatever reason instead of unbolting it from the flexplate first then thats another story.

EDIT: I had a quick look under the car today on a lift and getting to top tranny bolts seems a pain in the ass even on the lift so out with the tranny it is like everyone suggests.
Probably do this over the weekend as it's a long weekend here if I can borrow the engine lift from somewhere.

Then maybe fix the engine from the second car and put it in my current one, if it is only bearing damage on it..

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2017, 21:31:16 »

On your car it will be a pain in the ass to reach the top tranny bolts as there is a stupid shelf to hold the coil pack at the back of the engine that gets in the way of one of them, it is doable from underneath relatively easily with the exhaust downpipes removed though
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2017, 17:38:07 »

Well I had 4 days to do this on my moms yard but due to circumstances I missed first two, so I have two more days to do it and havent even started yet.
All suggestions are welcome to which order I should unbolt things, I guess best bet would be to start under the car itself.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2017, 18:14:25 »

Also what about the AC? Can I take it apart without breaking it? I mean aren't they supposed to stay attached to each other at all times and avoid any sort of contact with air or taking apart? Or is it safe to take it apart for this purpose and then just refill it next day again?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2017, 18:47:34 »

Also what about the AC? Can I take it apart without breaking it? I mean aren't they supposed to stay attached to each other at all times and avoid any sort of contact with air or taking apart? Or is it safe to take it apart for this purpose and then just refill it next day again?
After I had removed the engine from my 1994 V6 I removed the cylinder heads and took them to a machine shop to have them checked over.

I had followed the instructions (in Haynes) to degass and then disconnect the A/C pipes from the compressor. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads - "we don't do that, we usually unbolt the compressor from the engine and tie it to one side"...........

I don't know how easy it is to get the engine out with the A/C condenser in place but I would definitely try to do it that way if I did it again.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2017, 21:35:16 »

After I had removed the engine from my 1994 V6 I removed the cylinder heads and took them to a machine shop to have them checked over.

I had followed the instructions (in Haynes) to degass and then disconnect the A/C pipes from the compressor. They looked at me as if I had 2 heads - "we don't do that, we usually unbolt the compressor from the engine and tie it to one side"...........

I don't know how easy it is to get the engine out with the A/C condenser in place but I would definitely try to do it that way if I did it again.

I have a feeling taking the condenser off will make it much less a pain to remove the engine and tranny together on flat ground. Just worried about the AC being disconnected thats all, probably for no reason though as it wont stay disconnected for a long time.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2017, 22:11:33 »

I have a feeling taking the condenser off will make it much less a pain to remove the engine and tranny together on flat ground. Just worried about the AC being disconnected thats all, probably for no reason though as it wont stay disconnected for a long time.
To do it properly you should extract the old gas and send it to a licensed recycling facility.

Before refilling the system should be pressure tested with nitrogen and then put on a vacuum pump to extract any moisture. It all costs time and money :(

When the air intake pipes are removed there is quite a lot of space between the engine and the radiator. I think if you remove the radiator but leave the condenser behind it should be under the slam panel and not cause an additional obstruction :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 April 2017, 07:32:45 »

When i took the engine out of my 1994 2.5 V6 it took most of a day to get the engine out. If a good replacement engine had been available then it would have been in that day and all plugged in and ready to drive after a second day.

Messing around swapping ECUs, locks, immobilisers, seats and other stuff will take a lot longer than an engine swap..........

Yeah it would be better in every way to swap the engine but I'm a bit worried if I can get to all the transmission bolts etc while doing it on the ground without taking everything off the engine first.
For example BMW tranny swap is super easy if I have a lift to work on but I'm not sure if I could even get it off on the ground.

Engine and gearbox can be removed as 1 lump, decent engine crane, is needed, and an assistant, not the wife.
Hoof'land storeman.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16 April 2017, 07:57:33 »

When i took the engine out of my 1994 2.5 V6 it took most of a day to get the engine out. If a good replacement engine had been available then it would have been in that day and all plugged in and ready to drive after a second day.

Messing around swapping ECUs, locks, immobilisers, seats and other stuff will take a lot longer than an engine swap..........

Yeah it would be better in every way to swap the engine but I'm a bit worried if I can get to all the transmission bolts etc while doing it on the ground without taking everything off the engine first.
For example BMW tranny swap is super easy if I have a lift to work on but I'm not sure if I could even get it off on the ground.

Engine and gearbox can be removed as 1 lump, decent engine crane, is needed, and an assistant, not the wife.

Only thing I'm missing then is the wife, I mean assistant! Will see, off to do some shopping and then gonna go work on it, goal is to just get the engine and tranny out from the second car and then I'll do the other car tomorrow and put it straight in the second car, should be a lot faster when I have done it once already.

Also need to swap the exhaust from my current car as the other one has massive leak in it somewhere, probably ran into a rock the same time the oilpan was dented too.

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 April 2017, 06:27:33 »

It was pretty easy to be honest, much easier than I was expecting. I even forgot to bring spare hands...
Took me about 5-6 hours to do it while doing other stuff meanwhile, shouldn't take more than 3 hours maybe today if I don't lose focus on it.

Hood off ready to begin:
https://puu.sh/vmOt4/e9367f5462.jpg

Donor car:
https://puu.sh/vmOuZ/eaa8f2edda.jpg

Passenger side done:
https://puu.sh/vmOwV/8278689d97.jpg

Need to eat too...
https://puu.sh/vmOwd/eb9015dd06.jpg

Driver side done:
https://puu.sh/vmOxQ/816f91c88c.jpg

And off it comes, had to use the donor car to pull the lift as it was a bit heavy on soft ground to move alone.
https://puu.sh/vmOz0/660c9cb3db.jpg
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 06:29:42 by Stige »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 April 2017, 08:38:28 »

Well done  :y. It looks a bit cold for stripping cars outside  ???

Stige

• Finland
    • -68 Satellite, -97 MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 April 2017, 19:38:36 »

Well done  :y. It looks a bit cold for stripping cars outside  ???

It was a bit warmer yesterday, -6C or something today all day. All went really well for most part, very little trouble. Had to use my Fairlane today for pulling the lift, ran those straps under the Omega and Fairlane behind the Omega to pull the lift with the engine back to the car. Forgot to take pics though damn.
Got the engine and tranny in place, first thing I did was put the engine mount nuts on, then went to work between the firewall and noticed I had two sets of water hoses behind there stuck nicely, took too many hours to get them out.
I also had to use lots of sensor and dis pack from the car as it had square connectors while everything on the donor car had round conmectors.. 1 year difference lol, so silly.

Everything is done on upper side now, was like -8C when I left for home.
Tomorrow:
- Driveshaft
- Downpipes
- Shifter arm
- Tranny bolts

Should be ready to go then I think, fingers crossed...

MonzaGSE

• Intermediate Member
  • Norway
    • 95 Opel Omega mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 17 April 2017, 20:32:12 »

Well done. I remember now that i also had to use all the sensors and connectors from the old engine when i put a 97-98 X30xe into my 95 omega. Due to the square and oval connectors.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.