Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Quite a big water leak.  (Read 4766 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: Quite a big water leak.
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2017, 23:49:51 »

2001 Y is a very, very late 3.0... a newer engine would surely be a 3.2. ???

Ahh, got the engine numbers arsi-tarsis.

The engine I wrecked when the oil pickup blocked was 08491727.  I've no reason to believe this wasn't the engine delivered with the car, but I don't know that for certain. So it is very likely a 2001 engine and it is an X30XE. It's currently sitting under the bench in the man cave and once used Omega values exceed £20K I may repair and refit it to maintain originality. ;D

I bought engine number 08247090 from someone on here. It wasn't new-new. It was new to me. That's the engine currently in the car - the one that is now leaking and is also an X30XE. It did have a few differences to the original engine - one had a spin on oil filter, the other had a paper one. One had a horizontal DIS pack, the other was vertical. One had a sump pan gasket, the other didn't. Can't remember which was which. So going by engine numbers this one is approximately 500000 earlier/older so I suppose it could be as early as 1998. 

Unlikely I'll get time to do anything this weekend - but I'll report back once I do find a spare nano-second and it stops raining long enough for a looksee.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2017, 23:54:23 »

Where are you located

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 July 2017, 00:01:18 »

Water either side of gearbox is Aircon condensate and perfectly normal.
Not if it's pink and full of antifreeze though, which this is.
Aircon condensate drains from the tubes either side of the bell housing. Not from the bolts

5 different pools/drip sources of water. 2 from down the side of the gearbox, 2 from the bolts on the bottom of the bell housing, and one from the passenger side exhaust. All 5 were pink antifreeze (collected in Pot noodle pots).

If the gearbox ones aren't coming from the heater drains then I guess it's just water pooling up on top of the gearbox and then being dislodged by the vibration when the engine is started, Hopefully from what you say it also means the heater matrix isn't the source either. Not sure I'll be that lucky but we'll see.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 July 2017, 00:07:40 »

Where are you located

Yeovil. But I'm out tomorrow and Sunday, working on the LC Monday and Tuesday, Bristol ABS meet Wednesday. Realistically next Saturday is the earliest I'll be able to look.

I did have the Plenium off last weekend to do the HBV. I didn't notice anything amiss with the pipes down the back of the engine, but then I wasn't really looking for it, and I was in a rush, and it was raining, and any number of other half ar5ed excuses.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 July 2017, 09:32:08 »

Ignoring the fact that the ill-informed keep changing the oil filter types, the last engine with spin on was 1998 (and it was very early MY98 engines that seem prone to passenger bank HG failure of waterway to outside, at back of engine - mine suffered this twice).

MY99 came with the paper element filter, as did all FLs.
Grumpy old man

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 July 2017, 20:39:46 »

Ok, found an hour of good enough weather for a look. Plenium off and trumpets out :

There is water on top of the plastic trumpet to cylinder head bridge. Also the coolant bridge is coated in red antifreeze residue on the passenger side, but rust on the drivers side. Pipe clips are both rusty, but nothing wet back there. Anyway, off with the plastic bit for a look at the oil cooler stuff

The rear oil cooler pipe bolt was wet on the top, and rusty all over. My gut feeling is that its water escaping from the coolant bridge rather than the oil cooler cover plate. I've nipped the two coolant bridge bolts up a bit tighter and thrown it all back together for now (need the car for the rest of the week). It seems much better, but it's still leaking.

So what's the Borg mind's opinion - 4 new coolant bridge dowty washers and a couple of bolts? or engine out and rebuild? Or somewhere in between?

Cheers
Malcolm

« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 20:42:11 by LC0112G »

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 July 2017, 20:49:21 »

4 new dowty washers on the coolant bridge and reseal the oil cooler plate for good measure if you have the luxury of time.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 July 2017, 20:57:35 »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2017, 00:20:48 »

If you still have a problem after Sir Tigger's suggestion, or if you want to confirm your findings before more major work, might I suggest:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RLD2-RING-AUTOMOTIVE-Coolant-Leak-Detection-Dye-RING-LEAK-DETECTION-LIGHTING/152551025792?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

together with:-

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-UV-Black-Light-Torch-Ultra-Violet-Gas-Leak-Forensic-Blood-Urine-Detector/321855415856?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I share your pain; I am suffering too.   :'(

Ron.

I've never had much luck with UV dies - the leaks are usually big enough that everything gets covered in either a fine mist or a gert flood of whatever is leaking, leaving you none the wiser.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2017, 00:27:17 »

4 new dowty washers on the coolant bridge and reseal the oil cooler plate for good measure if you have the luxury of time.  :y

Oil cooler plate is going to have to wait till I've finished the LC and the garage is free - early September if everything goes to plan. In the meantime the Omega is my main mode of transport, so can't be off the road for 24 hours waiting for sealants to cure/set. If the Omega packs up then I'm either on shanks' pony or my mums 1.0L Corsa.

So I'll throw some 12992647's at it and hope. Not convinced that'll totally fix it though - the dripping from the passenger side exhaust seems unlikely to be originating in the V to me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 August 2017, 08:24:54 »

Might be worth pressurising the system with it stripped down that far to see if you can spot any fresh water emerging. It clearly has been leaking from something there, but might just be a perished hose IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 01 August 2017, 09:33:33 »

Might be worth pressurising the system with it stripped down that far to see if you can spot any fresh water emerging. It clearly has been leaking from something there, but might just be a perished hose IMHO.

The system was still pressurised when I took the photos. I'd driven the car home (about 20 mins) and left it ticking over for another 10 before stripping it down. I reckon it took 15-20 minutes to strip down, and some of the bolts were too hot to pick up with fingers and the water pipes were quite hard.

Been to the dealers this morning. The hollow coupling screws (12992646) are now NLS.  Managed to order the 3 new HBV water pipes (9129566, 9129576 and 90466222 I hope!) and the Dowty washers. All still available although one of the pipes has to come from Germany.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2017, 09:46:58 »

The system was still pressurised when I took the photos. I'd driven the car home (about 20 mins) and left it ticking over for another 10 before stripping it down. I reckon it took 15-20 minutes to strip down, and some of the bolts were too hot to pick up with fingers and the water pipes were quite hard.

Been to the dealers this morning. The hollow coupling screws (12992646) are now NLS.  Managed to order the 3 new HBV water pipes (9129566, 9129576 and 90466222 I hope!) and the Dowty washers. All still available although one of the pipes has to come from Germany.

Fair enough, but often leaks are more evident with a bit of pressure on the system when it's cold, since the water doesn't immediately evaporate leaving a dry stain.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2017, 21:04:03 »

I think I've fixed the water leak.

Took the coolant bridge completely off today. All 4 Dowty washers delaminated (the rubber comes away from the aluminium outer). Marks on the cylinder head suggest the drivers side one has actually been leaking.

I had also ordered all 3 hoses from Vx but only one had come as of Saturday - the curly whirly one from the coolant bridge to the HBV. Took this off and I think it's got a pin hole under the spring clip at the coolant bridge. Anyway, replaced it. I could see the hose from the stub on the main metal water pipe from the block. It looks rusty, but I don't think it's leaking. However, will replace it once the other two hoses come from Vx.

Whilst the bridge was off I took a look at the other fitting - for the hose that goes to the throttle bodies. This was blocked with what seemed to be black silicone sealant - I wondered if it might be a one way valve so I unscrewed it from the bridge. Couldn't blow through it from either direction. So I took punt that it wasn't supposed to be blocked and ran it through with a stiff piece of wire. What came out didn't look like it was supposed to be there. Anyway, now the hose through the throttle bodies gets hot and I'd never noticed that before.

Put it all back together and fired it up. No water leaks after about half an hour, but should know more by the middle of the week. Idle is carp though, so I suspect I've introduced an air leak somewhere or the IACV needs a good clean. It'll have to come apart again to fit the two other hoses so I'll investigate then.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2017, 21:06:14 by LC0112G »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2017, 21:27:05 »

Sounds like a collection of issues that caused/resulted in the seals failing... making progress though :y
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.