Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Charging Leisure Batteries on the move II  (Read 13930 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Leisure Batteries on the move II
« Reply #60 on: 07 August 2017, 09:16:48 »

I think I may have one in the junk box. Came with some towbar electrics but surplus to requirements. :y

:y
I like red cars

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 07 August 2017, 09:20:47 »

Why not use a conventional voltage sensing relay? ......

I've not had any if these problems yet so haven't really looked into it myself. But they've used VSRs for years now due to their ease of fitting/wiring & tend to think that if the answer was so simple there would never have been a problem in the first place  :-\

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 07 August 2017, 09:28:11 »

Why not use a conventional voltage sensing relay? That will connect the caravan battery when the vehicle electrical system is at a high voltage and disconnect it when the voltage drops. You'll get some charging of the caravan battery when the vehicle battery is being charged and it will protect the caravan battery from being discharged.

http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/voltage-sensitive-relay-12v-140a.html

Would this do the trick?

Your issue is that under normal operation the output volts from the battery changes considerably and such a relay will keep dropping out, potentially for long periods.

Hence why I suggested the solar charging type, this will take the varying alternator output and convert it into a controlled charging supply for the leisure battery, couple this with an (ideally adjustable voltage sensing or ignition controlled relay) and you will get a nicely topped up pikey supply.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 07 August 2017, 10:09:57 »

Why not use a conventional voltage sensing relay? That will connect the caravan battery when the vehicle electrical system is at a high voltage and disconnect it when the voltage drops. You'll get some charging of the caravan battery when the vehicle battery is being charged and it will protect the caravan battery from being discharged.

Would this do the trick?

Your issue is that under normal operation the output volts from the battery changes considerably and such a relay will keep dropping out, potentially for long periods.

Hence why I suggested the solar charging type, this will take the varying alternator output and convert it into a controlled charging supply for the leisure battery, couple this with an (ideally adjustable voltage sensing or ignition controlled relay) and you will get a nicely topped up pikey supply.

Not bothered about it being topped up when towing, as there will not be a drain on it if its isolated from the car battery ;)
I like red cars

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 07 August 2017, 10:39:52 »

Customer service!

I decided to phone the towbar electrics manufacturer to see if they could throw any light on the matter, in case they had something inbuilt to stop reverse drain.

Spoke to a technical bloke who said he hadn't heard of that, when I started to explain the different voltages of the two batteries he said 'Get a life' and hung up on me.

Perhaps I should ::)

;D
I like red cars

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 07 August 2017, 10:57:21 »

Customer service!

I decided to phone the towbar electrics manufacturer to see if they could throw any light on the matter, in case they had something inbuilt to stop reverse drain.

Spoke to a technical bloke who said he hadn't heard of that, when I started to explain the different voltages of the two batteries he said 'Get a life' and hung up on me.

Perhaps I should ::)

;D

Towbar fitters. If only their legs were long enough to stop their knuckles dragging on the ground. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 07 August 2017, 11:59:10 »

Well that definitely proves it, plugged the 'van into the car, and the leisure battery voltage started to drop like a stone!

Where to mount a split charge relay though, it's got to be on the caravan, after the Al-Ko ATC system.

No wiring diagram came with the caravan.
I like red cars

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 07 August 2017, 12:18:28 »

I know that I suggested this earlier and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames, but why won't a suitably rated diode feeding the caravan's battery do the job? This will allow it to be charged and prevent reverse drain. It shouln't affect the "smart" alternator, as it won't be able to see it as anything other than extra capacity of the main battery. You would, of course, lose about 0.7 Volt across the diode - not a worry, surely?

Ron.

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 07 August 2017, 12:30:20 »

I know that I suggested this earlier and I'm prepared to be shot down in flames, but why won't a suitably rated diode feeding the caravan's battery do the job? This will allow it to be charged and prevent reverse drain. It shouln't affect the "smart" alternator, as it won't be able to see it as anything other than extra capacity of the main battery. You would, of course, lose about 0.7 Volt across the diode - not a worry, surely?

Ron.

Or I could just disconnect the caravan battery whilst towing :-\
I like red cars

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 07 August 2017, 12:44:25 »

Ron.

0.7V drop is quite a reasonable amount when considering lead acid battery charge voltages.....made worse with the Mercs operating system   :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 07 August 2017, 12:56:24 »

Understood, Mr. Fuse, but it will still keep the caravan's battery relatively happy. If it really is a worry, spend a little more on a power Schottky diode which will have a 0.1 - 0.2 volt drop across it?
RS Components, Farnell, Rapid Electronics and Maplins for sources.

Ron.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 07 August 2017, 13:09:59 »

Would this do the trick?

Did you read this bit??

IMPORTANT NOTE: These relays are not suitable for vehicles with 'smart' or 'intelligent' alternators. As a guide this applies to vehicles having engines that comply with Euro5 emissions standards and onward, often also incorporating regenerative braking (if in doubt please consult your vehicle manufacturer to confirm). If your vehicle has a smart alternator then you will need to use a battery-to-battery charger instead of a VSR

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 07 August 2017, 13:28:19 »

Ron.

Or I could just disconnect the caravan battery whilst towing :-\

You should have fuses for the charging electrics from the vehicle into the caravan,just pull the ones relevent to charging and battery to isolate car from van
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 07 August 2017, 13:59:02 »

Understood, Mr. Fuse, but it will still keep the caravan's battery relatively happy. If it really is a worry, spend a little more on a power Schottky diode which will have a 0.1 - 0.2 volt drop across it?
RS Components, Farnell, Rapid Electronics and Maplins for sources.

Ron.

So Schottky diodes have a habit of not lasting on what is considered 'the worst power supply in the world' (automotive) as they do not tolerate reverse voltage and the spikes seen tend to age them quickly and 'pop' them (hence why Schottky barriers are not used nearly as often as you may think)

What you have to think of is that the difference between a 90% charged battery and one that is 60% charged is about 0.6V so yes, the V drop has a big impact and any battery below 90% charged will tend to sulphate to.

The main issue is if the leisure battery will charge at all connected to the car due to the way the alternator output varies, the setup is totally focused on the state of the vehicle battery and nothing else plus, they have current sensing on the battery lead just to make matters worse.

Hence why I suggested the solar type charger, it prevents back feeding and takes what ever supply voltage is given to it and tailors it to what the leisure battery needs, plus it gives current limiting to.....

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 07 August 2017, 14:18:39 »

... Hence why I suggested the solar type charger, it prevents back feeding and takes what ever supply voltage is given to it and tailors it to what the leisure battery needs, plus it gives current limiting to.....

Yep, that would undoubtedly be the best solution if you actually need to deliver charge to the caravan battery reliably. It just becomes another load on the car's electrical system, regardless of voltage, until the battery is satisfied and it stops drawing significant current.

I suspect, for AA's scenario, just disconnecting the caravan battery from the towing connector and ensuring it is fully charged before a trip would probably be the simplest solution.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.