Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: rear heater outlet center  (Read 2411 times)

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
rear heater outlet center
« on: 08 August 2017, 14:31:44 »

just been out and had some family in the back, had heater on and was nice and warm in the front but the back was blowing out cold air, is there anything that can do to fix this ? not a/c model. turning the knob settings don't make any difference to the back  ?

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
Re: rear heater outlet center
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2017, 15:08:20 »

You may need to check the rods and flaps, the rear blower is just a channel like the ones under the the front seats

Edit: I said rods but its vacuum operated, check the vac lines
« Last Edit: 08 August 2017, 15:11:21 by frostbite »
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 August 2017, 05:25:57 »

Ive had a look but i can only see the recirculation and the heater hot and cold part cannot see anything ells is there a diagram or something so i can have a feel around without pulling something i shouldn't ? it gets hot if i'm parked but when moving it goes cold, the vacume lines is giving good suction on the control switch and can hear valves moving and little clunks.  i have an endoscope camera would drilling a hole in the plastic part behind the ashtray be any good to see if it's moving or blocked or something think there is enough space to glue a cover over the hole after ??? and yes the ones under the seats are not heating up as well but all others are nice and toasty even warm on fan speed 4. and heater core is not blocked water came out clear after removing antifreeze, thought it may be blocked in the bottom part of the core as cannot see if it stands up or lays down ? but it was clear. any advice thanks   

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2017, 03:58:12 »

Partially blocked heater matrix... replace. The matrix sits almost level, with the rear ducting supplied from the bottom rear of the heater box.

Plod cars had the ducting removed... usually chopped between gear lever and where it joins the heater box. Rule this out first.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2017, 04:47:27 »

I will have a look, i don't know if this means anything but if i check it with the the fan on speed 4 -3 -2, it dont come out the back any faster just like a breeze. but driving along it seams a faster breeze like its  only getting air flow from the vehicle moving, also it feels like cold air round by the gear stick or lower part of the ash tray? could this be what you mean? Doctor Gollum ? think i'm going to drill a hole and have a look, can see in the middle vets and dash the 2 flaps work in there on each one, but endoscope is not long enough to go from the center rear to the heater.   

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2017, 06:46:24 »

Partially blocked heater matrix... replace. The matrix sits almost level,

that gets my vote. My heater has never got more than warm(and that took several miles), even after several flushes with the water and coolant coming out clear. Yesterday I fitted the new matrix I bought back in January, and pried the top off the old one for a look inside. Which revealed that only three of the tubes were clear. The rest were packed so solidly with silt that I couldn't poke a piece of lockwire down them.

The air out of the vents while the car heat up is now warmer than it has ever been.

Replacing the thermostat should be considered a good use of £15 and a couple of hours.

« Last Edit: 10 August 2017, 06:48:04 by Nick W »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 August 2017, 10:33:18 »

I will have a look, i don't know if this means anything but if i check it with the the fan on speed 4 -3 -2, it dont come out the back any faster just like a breeze. but driving along it seams a faster breeze like its  only getting air flow from the vehicle moving, also it feels like cold air round by the gear stick or lower part of the ash tray? could this be what you mean? Doctor Gollum ? think i'm going to drill a hole and have a look, can see in the middle vets and dash the 2 flaps work in there on each one, but endoscope is not long enough to go from the center rear to the heater.
Drill a hole where :o and why ???

Clearing the centre console is a ten minute job. You can almost certainly confirm the presence of the ducting with just the gear lever surround lifted...

Cold air around radio/ashtray is a separate, dedicated cold air feed to the back of the radio. Utterly unrelated ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 August 2017, 10:53:24 »

Drill a hole where :o and why ???

Clearing the centre console is a ten minute job. You can almost certainly confirm the presence of the ducting with just the gear lever surround gaiter lifted...

Fixed that for you - it's the squashy black plastic that runs along each side of the top of the trans tunnel.

You're breaking the first rule of diagnosis: Do the EASY stuff first

I would lift the armrest off the centre console(two bolts) and check that the ducting is properly joined.

I hope you wash your endoscope both before and after using it on the car :o

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 August 2017, 18:58:44 »

I took the gear stick cover off there was nothing there just a big rubber cover over the gear cover, tryed to remove the screws off the center part insert in the center box but the screw heads have gone nothing to get a grip on, took the cover off the rear cig lighter, there was nothing in there apart from some electric unit with a load of wires, could not see any bolts nuts or screws, think its not been working for a long time and the old man must of tried to have a look but gave up.  and its not that type of endoscope, but has a camera and screen, its mostly used for looking in the engine. well thats what i use it for, very flexible, just its only a meter long. I'm going to have a look at the weekend, if cannot get in to have a look might just put a heater in the back, i cannot find the workings on net of how the heater works but read on some other forms from russia that the heater flap has a link on both sides that lifts up and down and get stuck and the plastic pin comes off so stay in the last position,  but the old pics i can find are from 1998 upwards,     

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2017, 19:19:21 »

All might be working, but, as suggested earlier, the ducting to the rear may have been removed.
IF this is the case (you to confirm), is it possible to replace it - one from a scrappy, for example?

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2017, 21:23:17 »

I took the gear stick cover off there was nothing there just a big rubber cover over the gear cover, tryed to remove the screws off the center part insert in the center box but the screw heads have gone nothing to get a grip on, took the cover off the rear cig lighter, there was nothing in there apart from some electric unit with a load of wires, could not see any bolts nuts or screws, think its not been working for a long time and the old man must of tried to have a look but gave up.  and its not that type of endoscope, but has a camera and screen, its mostly used for looking in the engine. well thats what i use it for, very flexible, just its only a meter long. I'm going to have a look at the weekend, if cannot get in to have a look might just put a heater in the back, i cannot find the workings on net of how the heater works but read on some other forms from russia that the heater flap has a link on both sides that lifts up and down and get stuck and the plastic pin comes off so stay in the last position,  but the old pics i can find are from 1998 upwards,   
I could find your heater duct from here. And I am at least 400 miles away.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2017, 21:28:37 »

Seriously, some pictures might help...

Lift out the window switches, and hold the wiring to one side... Under each set of switches is a flimsy square plastic tube. If you can see carpet or light grey metalwork, then the duct is missing.

Also, if you can't dismantle the centre console, then forget ever fitting a new duct as you won't be able to... It will also make fitting a new heater matrix impossible to do without serious damage.

Also, posts are alot easier to read with capital letters at the start of each sentence and the occasional pause :y

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2017, 21:35:35 »

Get em some slippers. :)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2017, 23:01:48 »

Seriously, some pictures might help...

Lift out the window switches, and hold the wiring to one side... Under each set of switches is a flimsy square plastic tube. If you can see carpet or light grey metalwork, then the duct is missing.

Also, if you can't dismantle the centre console, then forget ever fitting a new duct as you won't be able to... It will also make fitting a new heater matrix impossible to do without serious damage.

Also, posts are alot easier to read with capital letters at the start of each sentence and the occasional pause :y
There,s a few commas in there. ;D

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 August 2017, 16:05:21 »

I have it sorted now, Russian person had gotten back to me and told me how to sort it, told me how to get to the part, and its just clipped in and push the bar in and clip down., but it was un clipped, felt it move when changed the controls and it goes up and down now so there is heat coming out the back now.  if it comes off again i know were to get to it now and put a tie rap round it to hold it in place :) :) nice and toasty in the back now :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.