Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: one for the Lycra mob  (Read 11397 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: one for the Lycra mob
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2017, 14:34:45 »

By all accounts he seems a pompous arsehole hope he gets one up him in the showers.

STEMO

« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2017, 15:18:59 »

By all accounts he seems a pompous arsehole hope he gets one up him in the showers.
I often volunteer to be a hangman, so I might as well volunteer to administer that as well.  :-*

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 August 2017, 15:29:22 »

Motorists do not deliberately drive around without front brakes.

Ron.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 August 2017, 21:27:46 »

Ron.

No, you are right, all motorists are 100% responsible and if they can't check the brakes themselves, for safety's sake they will get a garage too regularly, so you will never see a motorist driving around with front brakes like this:

http://jalopnik.com/5943352/how-to-make-sure-your-brakes-arent-going-to-suddenly-fail

US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 August 2017, 21:45:31 »

Aw Rods 2, now YOU are being disingenuous; you know full well that I meant with front brakes purposely removed (or never fitted in the first place) as had been mentioned earlier.
That is a world apart from brake wear, as per the linked article.
Please don't try to make excuses for the arrogant, lying prat that was the subject of the OP.

Ron.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 August 2017, 21:46:09 »

Ron.

No, you are right, all motorists are 100% responsible and if they can't check the brakes themselves, for safety's sake they will get a garage too regularly, so you will never see a motorist driving around with front brakes like this:

http://jalopnik.com/5943352/how-to-make-sure-your-brakes-arent-going-to-suddenly-fail

No, or driving with shocks so worn that they only function as limit stops to prevent the springs bouncing out :o  Or tyres worn so smooth you can't see where the tread was. Or air filters so choked they could be used to make a nice afro-wig. Oil that is thicker than treacle? Driving on tyres so flat that you can hear them coming from half a mile away?

There are plenty of people out there who can't be trusted with rocks because they'll break them. They tend to be the ones with an overdeveloped sense of entitlement too.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 August 2017, 21:53:35 »

There seemed to be some crossed wires here regarding the difference between bad or ignorant maintenance, and deliberate intent.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2017, 22:25:16 »

Aw Rods 2, now YOU are being disingenuous; you know full well that I meant with front brakes purposely removed (or never fitted in the first place) as had been mentioned earlier.
That is a world apart from brake wear, as per the linked article.
Please don't try to make excuses for the arrogant, lying prat that was the subject of the OP.

Ron.

Yep, I was deliberately a bit, as the wrong tool in the hands of an arrogant fool malicious or not can end up with the same result. As far as I'm concerned the idiot cyclist deserves to have the book thrown at him.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2017, 22:30:49 »

There seemed to be some crossed wires here regarding the difference between bad or ignorant maintenance, and deliberate intent.

Thank you, Mister Rog; that was exactly the point I was making.
Thanks also to Rods 2 for owning up to playing Devil's Advocate!  ;D

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2017, 21:36:17 »

He was cleared of manslaughter today. Now, what was that you were saying about him being dealt with more harshly, Matt?

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 August 2017, 06:22:54 »

He was cleared of manslaughter today. Now, what was that you were saying about him being dealt with more harshly, Matt?

But...

Jurors at the Old Bailey trial took 12 hours to find Mr Alliston not guilty of manslaughter but convicted him of causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving, which means he could be jailed for up to two years.

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 24 August 2017, 07:29:18 »

My immediate reaction to this story was that he was an arrogant little bastid...that hasn't changed. But, looking at the news item on BBC last night, pertaining to the actual incident, she did walk out into the road against the lights, looking at her phone. He shouted at her twice and tried to avoid her, which he would have done successfully had she not stepped back.
So he was well out of order with his speed and the type of bike he was riding, but she was totally oblivious to her surroundings due to her lack of attention. Manslaughter would have been a bit harsh.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 August 2017, 08:22:00 »

My immediate reaction to this story was that he was an arrogant little bastid...that hasn't changed. But, looking at the news item on BBC last night, pertaining to the actual incident, she did walk out into the road against the lights, looking at her phone. He shouted at her twice and tried to avoid her, which he would have done successfully had she not stepped back.
So he was well out of order with his speed and the type of bike he was riding, but she was totally oblivious to her surroundings due to her lack of attention. Manslaughter would have been a bit harsh.

I agree, he's probably a little shit, but  . . . .

I clearly remember when being taught to drive that I should always drive in a manner than enabled by to stop in the event of the unexpected. I would expect the same of cyclists and pedestrians, and if everyone actually did transport themselves in that manner our roads would be very much safer.
“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 24 August 2017, 09:58:54 »

But...

Jurors at the Old Bailey trial took 12 hours to find Mr Alliston not guilty of manslaughter but convicted him of causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving, which means he could be jailed for up to two years.

Yeah, I was bog-posting (via phone) so couldn't be a didn't want to type a lot - just wanted to point out that Matt's cries of "He's a cyclist so they're going to deal with him more harshly than a car driver" proved unfounded ;) (In fact, based on another instance unrelated to this cyclist that I know of, it seems like the cyclist got off rather lightly compared to a car driver; can't comment on specifics, though)

I do rather like the charge though "wanton and furious driving", beautifully old fashioned language and gives quite the mental image.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #29 on: 24 August 2017, 10:49:01 »

Still think he deserves a period in jail, but more importantly shows how dangerous it is checking your phone constantly , being aware of your surroundings & the actions of others is more important than for example a FB comment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 18 queries.