Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Insignia - any good?  (Read 3602 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Auto Insignia - any good?
« on: 21 August 2017, 15:12:49 »

Pluses and minuses for this one ? Plus-  it has a proper gearbox, proven diesel engine, better value for money. Available and not too far away! Minus is it isn't a VW, interior not so well made perhaps. 18 inch wheels - poorer ride on shoddy B roads?

http://www.dosauto.com/vehiculo/771-opel-insignia-st-2-0-cdti-163cv-excellence-auto-

Excellence is near or top spec over here. Like the UK Elite.

"Automatic, climate control, leather and heated seats, xenon headlights with led lights, sat nav, multimedia bluetooth, multifunction steering wheel, speed control and limiter, AUX and USB connection, light and rain sensor, parking sensor, ISOFIX, ESP, 18 wheels, armrest and trs, chromed roof bars, electric folding mirrors ..."

"been maintained in approved workshops and we have the history of maintenance, one owner. Mileage certified as is vehicle hasn't suffered any structural damage The price of the vehicle includes 1 year warranty. VAT included and deductible if you are lucky enough to have a company which I haven't!".
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Insignia - any good?
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2017, 15:37:20 »

I always feel that the Insignia has been beaten with the 'ugly stick'.

Having said that I don't think they are a bad car in practical terms. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2017, 15:37:37 »

Worth a look :y

Estate boot is actually a sensible shape and size, contrary to popular misconceptions. Ride on 18"s is fine... Had both 18" and 20" wheels on my two...

There's also a 'flex system' that allows loading variations... Fold the 40split down and section it off for the dog leaving the full boot space for the wheel chair etc :y

Don't be put off by the shape of the tailgate, there's a removable cover under the back window, and even with this in place it will comfortably swallow four large roller cases :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2017, 16:36:10 »

I strongly looked at Insignia before getting the CC, on paper they are good value for money. They have lots of kit, especially with Elite spec.

Issues for me is they are bloody ugly, you see millions of them about. But the biggest turn off for me was the interior, it felt cheap and tacky with nasty plastics which were not well screwed together. Large gaps between various panels, these then shook/vibrated on the road and these were newish examples. The engine although proven is very rough (even for a diesel) -  it's not nearly as refined as the VAG 2.0 lump.

The VW in comparison had a much more german feel to the interior, the plastics, the leather it all just "feels" better. It just generally felt better screwed together and worth the money more....

I'm having same issue now with Zafira Tourer, they look good on paper, but when you sit in them you are disappointed.

*all my opinion of course, some will completely disagree  ;D

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2017, 16:49:31 »

I strongly looked at Insignia before getting the CC, on paper they are good value for money. They have lots of kit, especially with Elite spec.

Issues for me is they are bloody ugly, you see millions of them about. But the biggest turn off for me was the interior, it felt cheap and tacky with nasty plastics which were not well screwed together. Large gaps between various panels, these then shook/vibrated on the road and these were newish examples. The engine although proven is very rough (even for a diesel) -  it's not nearly as refined as the VAG 2.0 lump.

The VW in comparison had a much more german feel to the interior, the plastics, the leather it all just "feels" better. It just generally felt better screwed together and worth the money more....

I'm having same issue now with Zafira Tourer, they look good on paper, but when you sit in them you are disappointed.

*all my opinion of course, some will completely disagree  ;D
You get what you pay for. Vauxhall are at the bottom of the food chain. Look at the spec on the astra I just bought for £8500, then look at a equivalent specced golf estate of the same year and you'll find you pay a lot more.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 August 2017, 17:38:48 »

If the 2012 green bogey is worth £6000.....then your new car is worth £10000 (which it isn't)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2017, 17:47:47 »

.....thinking about it more like £11250.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2017, 18:32:01 »

Minus is it isn't a VW
Surely thats a plus point :D
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2017, 20:41:27 »

Insignia build quality is fine. OK, the finish might not be exec standards of shiny chrome bullshit, but the cabin is nice enough ;)

I would politely suggest that Tunnie sticks his head into a Hyundai or Kia before describing anything else as plasticky :D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2017, 21:51:42 »

Wheels shouldn't be an issue. Run the tyres down and flog them in favour of 16/17's, the change will probably help pay for the tyres  :o

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 August 2017, 22:58:39 »

I have a 60 plate insignia elite estate or tourer call them what you will. Im happy with it except the comfort of the seats in a long journey. It is very plasticy inside and does tend to creak when going round corners sharpish. The afl headlights are a nice feature on them. Any more info just ask I'll try and help
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 23:02:23 by plym ian »

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 August 2017, 23:34:34 »

My wife has the Tourer Elite 61Auto Diesel plate. Had it going on 6 years now and no issues apart from tyre wear. It gets used by family members for their holidays sometimes with Thule on top with all the stuff they take plus dog is really good. Servicing is a sensible price as well.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

andrew38

• Farnborough, Hampshire
  • Insignia 2.0Cdti 163
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2017, 10:16:32 »

I changed my Omega for 2015 Insignia hatch 2.0CDTI SRi 163 (Euro 5) Nav Auto, I like it, I purchased it cash sale main dealer when it was 10 months old 5k miles and an ex Vauxhall management car so it had a few options on it and 11k off of list. Traditional auto box is really smooth 6 speed, engine pulls well and seems screwed together ok, now got 20k on it as purchased to visit an elderly relative so does 200 miles every couple of weeks, mainly stop start motorway and A roads with no problems.

Good points Asteroid Grey looks really nice when cleaned, air con very effective, rear camera (option) nice in conjunction with parking sensors (option) seats supportive but a bit hard, very easy to drive and cabin noise low, avg 45 MPG. positive steering, large boot (good for house clearing), space saver spare (option) has a proper spare wheel well, nice clear dashboard with no reflection at night in the facelift, DAB, USB and Bluetooth nice touches, 18in blade alloys (option) look good and tyre protects them from curbs, electric parking brake great feature (controversial I know on this forum), oil life indicator useful as I change oil every 6 months.

Bad points, alloys are pitting a bit and subject to a warranty claim, engine noisy when first started (newer 170 quieter) but fine once on the move, passenger seat does not adjust for height, boot has a low sharp edge on each side, don't access boot from the side! door trim hard plastic, odd trim creak when hot weather, suspension a bit hard for some roads, Conti 3 tyres wear quickly at the front, had to replace at 12k miles, will need new pads and disks next service in June 2018 if I keep it, rear space a bit tight but only two of us mainly so not an issue.

To sum up, does what it says on the tin, excellent value nearly new, happy with it.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2017, 10:22:25 by andrew38 »

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2017, 11:11:26 »

I changed my Omega for 2015 Insignia hatch 2.0CDTI SRi 163 (Euro 5) Nav Auto, I like it, I purchased it cash sale main dealer when it was 10 months old 5k miles and an ex Vauxhall management car so it had a few options on it and 11k off of list. Traditional auto box is really smooth 6 speed, engine pulls well and seems screwed together ok, now got 20k on it as purchased to visit an elderly relative so does 200 miles every couple of weeks, mainly stop start motorway and A roads with no problems.

Good points Asteroid Grey looks really nice when cleaned, air con very effective, rear camera (option) nice in conjunction with parking sensors (option) seats supportive but a bit hard, very easy to drive and cabin noise low, avg 45 MPG. positive steering, large boot (good for house clearing), space saver spare (option) has a proper spare wheel well, nice clear dashboard with no reflection at night in the facelift, DAB, USB and Bluetooth nice touches, 18in blade alloys (option) look good and tyre protects them from curbs, electric parking brake great feature (controversial I know on this forum), oil life indicator useful as I change oil every 6 months.

Bad points, alloys are pitting a bit and subject to a warranty claim, engine noisy when first started (newer 170 quieter) but fine once on the move, passenger seat does not adjust for height, boot has a low sharp edge on each side, don't access boot from the side! door trim hard plastic, odd trim creak when hot weather, suspension a bit hard for some roads, Conti 3 tyres wear quickly at the front, had to replace at 12k miles, will need new pads and disks next service in June 2018 if I keep it, rear space a bit tight but only two of us mainly so not an issue.

To sum up, does what it says on the tin, excellent value nearly new, happy with it.

Thanks Andrew. Most helpful along with the other comments. :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2017, 12:24:30 »

I would politely suggest that Tunnie sticks his head into a Hyundai or Kia before describing anything else as plasticky :D

Just because Hyundai & Kia are, doesn't mean Vauxhall isn't  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2017, 13:04:19 »

True, but they're seventies space age plasticky rather than modern...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2017, 13:11:34 »

Well, if it's a choice between a car with a plasticky dashboard or a car with a plasticky cam chain tensioner... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 August 2017, 14:30:27 »

;D

Ye gods you have to be made of stern stuff to ask advice on buying on here. Fuse19 has put the fear of god in me just when I thought a Passat diesel auto would be a nice reliable easy to get maintained vehicle.

I'll do another sweep for a 60mpg Omega estate auto one owner low miles on the for sale sites.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2017, 15:12:10 »

;D

Ye gods you have to be made of stern stuff to ask advice on buying on here. Fuse19 has put the fear of god in me just when I thought a Passat diesel auto would be a nice reliable easy to get maintained vehicle.

I'll do another sweep for a 60mpg Omega estate auto one owner low miles on the for sale sites.

I looked after an A4(same as passat mechanically) that ran until 314000 miles until wiring loom chafed somewhere and the thing caught fire,only ever had servicing/belts/pumps etc and brake work in all that time,no engine or gearbox faults and was still on original clutch albeit on its last legs :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2017, 16:30:00 »

;D

I looked after an A4(same as passat mechanically) that ran until 314000 miles until wiring loom chafed somewhere and the thing caught fire,only ever had servicing/belts/pumps etc and brake work in all that time,no engine or gearbox faults and was still on original clutch albeit on its last legs :y

Certainly the case for the older models and engines (although even the older ones had seriously knackered suspension bushes at 100k miles), I have seen a couple of the later ones struggle to pass 80k miles!

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2017, 23:24:09 »

I had to get a bulb from the dealer yesterday and sales guy was showing me the new Insignia - he claims the inside is now BMW style and back of saloon also looks like BMW. Looked pretty good but did not get too close in case I bought one.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23 August 2017, 00:16:56 »

...he claims the inside is now BMW style...

In other words, "plasticky". ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23 August 2017, 08:27:59 »

I had to get a bulb from the dealer yesterday and sales guy was showing me the new Insignia - he claims the inside is now BMW style and back of saloon also looks like BMW. Looked pretty good but did not get too close in case I bought one.

Still no head room in the back of the hatch back version though  ???

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23 August 2017, 09:49:34 »

The same can be said for many other hatch backs too  ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2017, 10:20:30 »

I can't drive from the back seat, so that's not a problem for me  :D

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23 August 2017, 13:49:15 »

;D

Certainly the case for the older models and engines (although even the older ones had seriously knackered suspension bushes at 100k miles), I have seen a couple of the later ones struggle to pass 80k miles!

I agree,the later 2.0 diesel has too much thirst for oil which on long life servicing has killed more than a few ::)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23 August 2017, 14:39:02 »

;D

I agree,the later 2.0 diesel has too much thirst for oil which on long life servicing has killed more than a few ::)
A litre every 625 miles is the factory defined consumption rate... It only holds 6.5 litres ;D

Although Tunnie should be aware that he should put a litre in every time he fills up ::)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.