Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford 1.6 Tdci fuel filter change  (Read 2479 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Ford 1.6 Tdci fuel filter change
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2017, 10:12:40 »

These modern engines need priming via software, I've done a fuel filter change on the VW. 5 screws and sub 5 mins to change the filter, once new one is in I had to activate the pump via software and run it for 3 mins to bleed air out.

Started on button afterwards, picks up better low down now. Apparently fuel filters every 60k, mine had done 30k, could feel the difference.

VCDS/VAGCOM does come in very handy....

What a truly shit system!

Seen most diesels need to be primed via software? Unlike old 1.9's and non common rails were ignition off/on works.

Why is this any different to BMW diesels or Vauxhalls lumps? All still need priming.  :-\

Also a damn site nicer job than Omega fuel filter  :)
Most common rails can be primed with ignition.  Its older systems that generally need priming/bleeding.  Having to need access to dealer level equipment - i.e., more than a simple service reset tool - to do basic servicing is unacceptable in this day and age.

Given electric hand brakes, no dip stick engines, not even an engine temp gauge on a BMW 235i....

It's a fact of life sadly now, also given Hybrids appear to be the new diesel I doubt you will be able to access the spark plugs in a few years. Without having to strip half the engine down.
Again, most electronic handbrakes don't need dealer level equipment.  In fact, when I ran out of brakes in France in the Insignia and rang back to blighty to get a mechanic mate to bring pads and tools with him (as he was joining us in a few days), the first thing he said was "it's not f****** VAG shit, or I'll have to bring the computer thing"
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2017, 12:53:15 »

The priming was done by the Ford guy using a little handheld bulb thingy with an air bleed non-return valve in series with the fuel system, so needed the correct fittings & after he'd tipped the half litre or so of diesel into the body of the new filter. He then removed the bulb thingy & it started first time. I suspect only a teaspoon of fuel was lost in the whole process.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2017, 13:33:52 »

Most modern common rails will self bleed with the in tank fuel pump, maybe VAG are going the way Merc did a few years ago and making it all software based (not a good thing!) for even the basic functions.

I suspect there is a way round it though, you just need to find the fuel pump relay

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2017, 13:36:48 »

Most modern common rails will self bleed with the in tank fuel pump, maybe VAG are going the way Merc did a few years ago and making it all software based (not a good thing!) for even the basic functions.

I suspect there is a way round it though, you just need to find the fuel pump relay

Forums suggested you could do without software, but had typical discussions of some saying it caused damage, others said it was fine. Same with rear brake pads, you don't need software. I suspect there are ways around it, but as I have VCDS might as well use it.

Regardless of how the system works, from a DIY perspective and having the software it was nice easy little DIY job.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 September 2017, 08:19:15 »

You may well be seeing a forum with a bit of a lack of understanding and hence default to the obvious.  :y

Common rail setups have in tank pumps because if you rotate the high pressure pump without fuel in it then they can get damaged very quickly as the diesel is the lubricant.

So when you fire up the electrical systems then the system electrically primes, repeat a few times and its ready to go....no laptop needed  :y (which has GOT to be easier!)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 September 2017, 09:15:11 »

Are VAG expecting you to seek dealer-level diagnostic supoort when you run out of fuel too? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 September 2017, 10:22:54 »

Are VAG expecting you to seek dealer-level diagnostic supoort when you run out of fuel too? ;D

Would a German allow themself to run out of fuel?

So your question is redundant.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2017, 10:49:01 »

Would a German allow themself to run out of fuel?

So your question is redundant.
;D

Oh, I've worked with German engineers for too many years, believe me...

I would imagine it's against the law to run out of fuel in Germany!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

T.m.f

• 4wd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2017, 21:19:45 »

Ford tdci filter is a bitch to bleed,much prefer changing the fuel filter on the discovery.
1996 300tdi manual discovery,the weekend mud toy and tin tent tower

The devil child ,aka mk2 2006 1.6 tdci focus
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.