Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternator belt has come off and a giant cog sheared off  (Read 3805 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Alternator belt has come off and a giant cog sheared off
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2017, 14:52:17 »

.....    Mr Gav your repl.y: ''Not if you grind the head and shoulder off you don`t but you do need to lock it to tighten the new bolt.'' Sorry but  I dont understand what you mean. Please could you explain to me? Thank you..........

When any bolt is tightend up, it tightens by pulling the sides of the thread against the back of the bolt head ...... if you grind the bolt head off  ;)  :y

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2017, 15:44:00 »

Thank you so much for your replies. Sorry Andy B I got it wrong...so The Boy I meant lol....yes I understand everything you have said Andy B except for the part of grinding the bot head off.....I dont know about that as dont have a grinder....I have found a friend who has a garage who is English and very trustworthy....and he has an air compressor and says he will do the job for me....and I am sure he will understand what you mean but if you can explain it further (if you have the patience with me lol) - only problem now is getting the vehicle to him as he is 33kms away from me with no rigid tow bar....a piece of rope wont do...so now trying to locate a rigid tow bar.....any ideas where I can get one cheap please? Looks like I am getting somewhere...I have the part on ebay uk which is 36 pounds or on ebay france 39 euros with 10 euros delivery so not too bad...thanks to all the help I have received from members of this forum who gave me the link also for the part on ebay....I have spoken with them and checked and it is the correct part for my car! Brilliant!  One thing I dont understand is that I was told that I should have felt a vibration long before this thing broke but I didnt feel any vibration at all..it just went. Why is that? Any ideas anyone? Looks like hopefully my beloved Omega may be back on the road again within a couple of weeks once the part arrives (takes 10 days to france). Thanking you all again....you have all be stars!

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2017, 18:43:51 »

It's the harmonic damper (the rubber bit of the crank pulley) that cracks and separates. Need to lock the crank to remove the bolt  :y
I recall you had this happen to your old DTI, or did I dream that?

Happened to both of them, caught it just in time on the estate as was nearly cracked all the way round but then the replaced Febi one failed about 10K later... moral of that story is don't buy a Febi one - GM only. Tensioner often fails as well which doesn't help the issue much!

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2017, 19:02:01 »

XXL V6   Hi....thanks for your post.  I dont know whether it is worth putting in a GM damper (crankshaft pulley) as my vehicle is a 2001 with 280k miles on it.....I love it to bits but it can only last so long surely.  I have a link here sent me by another member on here and it is very cheap on sale at ebay. I have spoken with the seller and he confirms that it is correct for my vehicle..... is it not okay?  - before I order it? Please can you have a look?  Dont know if it is a febi or what....

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VAUXHALL-2-0-2-2-DIESEL-TORSION-VIBRATION-DAMPER-CRANKSHAFT-PULLEY-TVD-55351711-/132117518527?hash=item1ec2d158bf:m:mlliapg9IjC5fJj0nDuz1SA#shpCntId

Many thanks....

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2017, 20:00:48 »

.....    Mr Gav your repl.y: ''Not if you grind the head and shoulder off you don`t but you do need to lock it to tighten the new bolt.'' Sorry but  I dont understand what you mean. Please could you explain to me? Thank you..........

When any bolt is tightend up, it tightens by pulling the sides of the thread against the back of the bolt head ...... if you grind the bolt head off  ;)  :y

You just wind it out with your fingers  :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2017, 20:31:54 »

You just wind it out with your fingers  :y

"If" it's not corroded in place, if it is .. hopefully you have enough of a "stub" left to get some grips on it .....   :(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2017, 21:24:06 »

I have found a friend who has a garage who is English and very trustworthy....and he has an air compressor and says he will do the job for me...

Doesn't he have a recovery vehicle?  :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2017, 00:23:26 »

XXL V6   Hi....thanks for your post.  I dont know whether it is worth putting in a GM damper (crankshaft pulley) as my vehicle is a 2001 with 280k miles on it.....I love it to bits but it can only last so long surely.  I have a link here sent me by another member on here and it is very cheap on sale at ebay. I have spoken with the seller and he confirms that it is correct for my vehicle..... is it not okay?  - before I order it? Please can you have a look?  Dont know if it is a febi or what....

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/VAUXHALL-2-0-2-2-DIESEL-TORSION-VIBRATION-DAMPER-CRANKSHAFT-PULLEY-TVD-55351711-/132117518527?hash=item1ec2d158bf:m:mlliapg9IjC5fJj0nDuz1SA#shpCntId

Many thanks....

Personally I would only fit a genuine one if i'm honest. Maybe I was just unlucky with the Febi one but because of it's early failure I wouldn't recommend that manufacturer or any 'cheap' versions on Ebay if you rely on the car.

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2017, 06:43:10 »

Thanks for all your replies guys.
Yes Entwood...this is what I am  afraid of - it being corroded in place.
No Andy  B - my friend does not have a recovery vehicle. Down to money and all that as they are not cheap to buy.
XXL V6 - would you have a link to the GM part perhaps please? so I can see the difference in price?
thanks ever so

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 September 2017, 07:28:21 »

Many thanks....

Personally I would only fit a genuine one if i'm honest. Maybe I was just unlucky with the Febi one but because of it's early failure I wouldn't recommend that manufacturer or any 'cheap' versions on Ebay if you rely on the car.

At the price you suggested above the ones on ebay will be solid, without the rubber insert. The engine will shake it to bits in next to no time, there's a reason it has the rubber damper in it. Get a genuine or OEM one, Febi Bilstein I think were one of the OEM suppliers and see another 120K miles rather than about 120. My Febi one is still fine 20K miles later but clearly there's some variability.
« Last Edit: 07 September 2017, 07:32:53 by ajsphead »

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 07 September 2017, 16:21:16 »

Many thanks....

you XXL V6 for your message on this.
and

Many thanks....

At the price you suggested above the ones on ebay will be solid, without the rubber insert. The engine will shake it to bits in next to no time, there's a reason it has the rubber damper in it. Get a genuine or OEM one, Febi Bilstein I think were one of the OEM suppliers and see another 120K miles rather than about 120. My Febi one is still fine 20K miles later but clearly there's some variability.

I am getting the hang of this forum now and am able to insert the quotes yeh!!
Sorry but dont understand....the one on ebay for 36 pounds is with the rubber insert......in the middle. Or I can get a febi more expensive...but it looks to be exactly the same to me. Is there not an argument that the parts that are sold cheaper is because they are bought direct and are passing through less hands so end up cheaper to the consumer rather than it being poor quality? Just a thought and wondered what you guys thought about that? So for example I bought an exhaust from Poland a couple of years ago, excellent quality, great delivery, packaged well and arrived on time. Service was impeccable. The exhaust is still going strong and it was a quarter of the price of others obtainable from UK or France or in Western Europe. Am I wrong re the damper as it is not the same as an exhaust IE vibration issues? Such a maze these days to know what is the right or wrong thing to buy.
Please may I ask another question? Re removal of the damper.....Do I need to remove the radiator first? Can I get to the bolt and get it off without removing the radiator? Is it absolutely necessary to have a gas compressor or is it possible to remove the rest of the damper still in the engine without the compressor? Wondering if my mate here can do it for me gratis or do I have to send it to my other friend whereby it needs towing to him and of course involves labour charges. Money is tight so we are both looking on if possible to do it ourselves...so hope you understand that money is a bit short these days. Hence trying to find out if poss to do ourselves. I am so grateful to the members here for advising me through this.....so love my Omega though. We both love the Omega!!  (oh yes nearly forgot, one mobile mechanic said to me that the power steering fluid could get into the radiator which has to be removed.....we dont understand that at all....how does the power steering fluid pass through the radiator?..anyway his charges were really high...is he trying it on?) Thank you again for all of your help with this.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 07 September 2017, 17:15:58 »

Auto transmission fluid often passes through a matrix inside the side of a radiator. Your mechanic is either confused or trying it on. Assuming your power steering cooling is the same as my v6 was,  then it passes through a simple pipe in front of the main rad  :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 07 September 2017, 18:37:55 »

same happened to me a few months ago. I did have to remove crank sensor & use locking pin to lock the crank. a breaker bar with my 10 ton jack handle slipped over for extra purchase cracked the bolt quite easy.  on ebay  you can buy the pulley for around £45. the shop that I used it was £41 free del with a time slotted next day delivery. I incidentally used the same bolt using a locking liquid

firstomega

• france
    • omega 2.2 DTI 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07 September 2017, 20:39:06 »

Auto transmission fluid often passes through a matrix inside the side of a radiator. Your mechanic is either confused or trying it on. Assuming your power steering cooling is the same as my v6 was,  then it passes through a simple pipe in front of the main rad  :y

Yes Andy B you are absolutely correct! Same as your V6. My mate who (the one who has no recovery truck)  told me this evening about 2 mins ago on the phone the same thing that I just saw you have replied. He has told me that he may be able to do it without taking the radiator out if he has enough room and once he has it at his garage and up in the air.  Definitely going to let him do it and pay him for the work....he has an air compressor too. 

same happened to me a few months ago. I did have to remove crank sensor & use locking pin to lock the crank. a breaker bar with my 10 ton jack handle slipped over for extra purchase cracked the bolt quite easy.  on ebay  you can buy the pulley for around £45. the shop that I used it was £41 free del with a time slotted next day delivery. I incidentally used the same bolt using a locking liquid
Thanks ever so Raywilb....excellent info However I have decided that best to let my friend do it ....as he has everything at his garage and of course he needs to earn a living too but he wont charge more than is fair nor try it on...unlike many other mechanics round here who I wouldnt touch with the proverbial barge pole....
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.