Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic to manual conversion  (Read 2868 times)

animatora

• UK
    • Omega 2.4
    • View Profile
Automatic to manual conversion
« on: 11 September 2017, 19:40:15 »

Hi there, I am in the middle of doing a automatic to manual conversion and I have the following questions. I have removed all the wiring around the automatic gearbox + the control unit but to me it looks like there is more to do:

- Fuel pump does not get earth when the ignition is switched on, I need to manually pass it in order to get it running. Manual says that I need to earth pin 21 for manual MT, and pass transmission coding signal (5V) to pin 42 for MT. I have done the earth on 21, but what does transmission coding signal mean, is it just pure 5v ? Any guidance on what needs doing to the ECU in order to get it running with the MT is appreciated.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic to manual conversion
« Reply #1 on: 11 September 2017, 23:00:59 »

Which engine is in it ?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 September 2017, 23:05:13 »

His details show Omega 2.4, sure we are not talking Carlton here  :-\

animatora

• UK
    • Omega 2.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2017, 09:22:36 »

Sorry I have missed that, we are talking C24NE Opel Omega Diamond. Just got this in mind.. fuel pump won't start if ECU thinks it is automatic and is not in N/P, right ?
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 09:28:20 by animatora »

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2017, 13:07:50 »

yes that's an 'omega A' known to the UK as carlton/senator
« Last Edit: 12 September 2017, 13:13:43 by migmog »

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2017, 15:46:36 »

You are best to change the injection loom to one from a manual car, there is a way round using the auto loom but can throw up issues.

I used a manual loom when I converted my Senator, it only takes around half an hour to do  :y

animatora

• UK
    • Omega 2.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2017, 12:05:29 »

In don'r think there is a difference in the  injection loom, it should all be controlled by the ECU. I know there are people here that have done this before, please elaborate

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2017, 15:51:19 »

In don'r think there is a difference in the  injection loom, it should all be controlled by the ECU. I know there are people here that have done this before, please elaborate

There is a difference in the injection loom, trust me I`ve done it  ;)

The loom goes from the ECU and to all the Fuel injection system on the manual but on the auto it also goes to the gearbox ECU, without the auto gearbox the two ECU`s see a problem as there is a break in the circuit.

It`s about ten years since I did mine but IIRC there is a couple of pins to bridge but you will always have the P on the dash illuminated.

It`s a lot less hassle to just use the manual loom, you will then also see the difference between the two.

I don`t think I have any pictures left of what I did but I`ll have a look.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 September 2017, 17:47:45 »

I must ask the question, why do all that work to replace an auto box with a manual one?

I admire your obvious skill and determination in doing all that and knowing what you are doing, but on a car that is getting on in years why? What is the advantage in having a manual box?  Or are you going to race it?

Just curious 8) 8) ;)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 September 2017, 17:55:14 »

Because the auto boxes are utter shite and the software is no better, I did it to my Senator and it was so much better for me, though Andy Beanz might disagree  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 September 2017, 18:40:59 »

Because the auto boxes are utter shite and the software is no better, I did it to my Senator and it was so much better for me, though Andy Beanz might disagree  ;D

I've deliberately said nothing ......  ::)

Ian Marsh of the ABS would disagree with you. He converted an auto Senator to manual, then saw the error of his ways & converted it back to a proper gearbox.  ;)

I've only driven a manual Omega a short distance ..... not the best of gearboxes  ::)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 September 2017, 18:52:31 »

I had a "c" reg. Senator 2.5 manual for a short time and I thought it one of the worst manual boxes I'd ever used,and from what I've read on here a lot of folk don't exactly rate the Omega B manual box that highly either.

animatora

• UK
    • Omega 2.4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 September 2017, 18:55:38 »

I must ask the question, why do all that work to replace an auto box with a manual one?

I admire your obvious skill and determination in doing all that and knowing what you are doing, but on a car that is getting on in years why? What is the advantage in having a manual box?  Or are you going to race it?

Just curious 8) 8) ;)

Engine has been taken out of the car and put on a offroad vehicle and intended for racing.

I just found this: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90592.0

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 September 2017, 19:25:19 »

Just curious 8) 8) ;)

Engine has been taken out of the car and put on a offroad vehicle and intended for racing.

I just found this: http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90592.0

Ah, thanks for that 8) 8) :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 September 2017, 20:10:09 »

I've deliberately said nothing ......  ::)

Ian Marsh of the ABS would disagree with you. He converted an auto Senator to manual, then saw the error of his ways & converted it back to a proper gearbox.  ;)

I've only driven a manual Omega a short distance ..... not the best of gearboxes  ::)

The box that I put in the Senator was fine, if a little long to throw but I must have been lucky as the one in the MV6 I had was good.

I hated the software on the auto box, changing down instead of riding the torque and not changing up when I wanted it to, I tried two other gearbox ECU`s too and found one to be better but not good so out it came and in went the manual  ;)

You really wouldn`t like the box in the Z  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.