Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tyre value?  (Read 2631 times)

STEMO

Re: Tyre value?
« Reply #15 on: 16 September 2017, 15:20:22 »

You know very well...they are worth what someone will give you.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 September 2017, 16:33:41 »

Pop the size into ebay search box and see what comes back ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2017, 17:22:58 »

New tyres have 8mm of tread and if you take away the legal minimum tread of 1.6mm that gives you a legal usable tread depth of 6.4mm which means a half worn tyre will technically have 4.8mm of tread.  ;)
Most tyres start with 9mm. The SportMaxx tyres fall off a cliff at about 3.5mm, so that makes useable life of 5.5mm, so as you can see, straight maths gives 6.25mm.  However, due to reasons I can never grasp, once wear sets in, it accelerates - in same way if you have a suspension fault that causes uneven wear, even once fixed, the wear is more excessive on the worn patch.

This is why I always say that 5mm part worns are not financially effective, especially when most places want £15 to fit one.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2017, 17:24:38 »

Would the fit Mr admins jaaaag.
Nope...

Surprised they don't fit the front.
Pretty certain the fronts are 245.  Due to fact its pissing down with hail, I CBA to check ;D
Grumpy old man

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2017, 18:58:03 »

New tyres have 8mm of tread and if you take away the legal minimum tread of 1.6mm that gives you a legal usable tread depth of 6.4mm which means a half worn tyre will technically have 4.8mm of tread.  ;)
Most tyres start with 9mm. The SportMaxx tyres fall off a cliff at about 3.5mm, so that makes useable life of 5.5mm, so as you can see, straight maths gives 6.25mm.  However, due to reasons I can never grasp, once wear sets in, it accelerates - in same way if you have a suspension fault that causes uneven wear, even once fixed, the wear is more excessive on the worn patch.

This is why I always say that 5mm part worns are not financially effective, especially when most places want £15 to fit one.

Disagree.  Most new tyres have 8mm of tread.  ::) 

I will agree however that different tyres lose their grip at different rates so performance wise some tyres will be shagged before others, which is why I said a half worn tyre will technically have 4.8mm of tread!  ;)

But this explains a lot TB!  Over the years you've often complained about crap tyres, but now its clear that your tyres have a lot less tread on them than you think there is!  ;D

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2017, 20:48:32 »

Disagree.  Most new tyres have 8mm of tread.  ::) 

I will agree however that different tyres lose their grip at different rates so performance wise some tyres will be shagged before others, which is why I said a half worn tyre will technically have 4.8mm of tread!  ;)

But this explains a lot TB!  Over the years you've often complained about crap tyres, but now its clear that your tyres have a lot less tread on them than you think there is!  ;D

In that case my tyres are 'almost' as new. I reckon £150 for the pair.  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.