Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Crashy Omega suspension  (Read 3192 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Crashy Omega suspension
« on: 24 September 2017, 17:41:55 »

I don't know what it's like where the rest of you live but in my town there are shed loads of pot holes.

Every time I drive the Omega it seems very much like I'm crashing in to them as opposed to gliding over them! I like the comfort / glide factor as opposed to a stiff suspension set up and I want my comfort back!

I've had car up in the air... wishbones are pretty new, new donut bushes last year, no broken coil springs, no leaking shockers, no play in ARB links, no odd tyre wear, front toe and camber adjusted by me close to the wim spec and I am getting new rear track rods next month.

However... front shocks and springs are ancient. I've had the car 8 or 9 years now (and still love it) and I've never replaced them. Would it be worth replacing them based on this?

My rear springs are old-ish at 5 years and my rear shocks are about the same but cheapies  :-[

Wondering if I just do the whole lot to get me some smoothness again.

Your thoughts welcome  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Crashy Omega suspension
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2017, 17:54:06 »

Has it got worse recently then? I found my 2.2 got a bit crashy at the back, I never really resolved it.

The 3.2 is much better, sitting on standard GM shocks on the back and Boge springs. It is running some original Elite front shocks/suspension, off that fatty admin's TBE. I'd be interested to see how you get on, if you replace the front setup and what you replace it with. As looks like I will put the 3.2 into commuting now. Bu like you I like the comfort, it's what the Omega was meant for.  :y

I highly suspect the quality of GM shocks not worth it any more, given what we've seen over the years on a drop in quality.

Perhaps Sachs up front?  :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2017, 17:57:58 »

I had a similar dilemma last year ,but as I use my car daily doing over 100miles most days for me the decision was based on me keeping or getting rid of the car.

All in I replaced all front suspension and steering parts excluding center tie bar and steering idler(the later being replaced some days ago now).Replaced all rear shocks/springs donut bushes along with rear track rods.

Think the total was around the £600 mark all in but the last years driving experience has been worth it and sure it will see me through another couple of years or until the car becomes financially unviable to repair.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2017, 17:59:09 »

Has it got worse recently then? I found my 2.2 got a bit crashy at the back, I never really resolved it.

The 3.2 is much better, sitting on standard GM shocks on the back and Boge springs. It is running some original Elite front shocks/suspension, off that fatty admin's TBE. I'd be interested to see how you get on, if you replace the front setup and what you replace it with. As looks like I will put the 3.2 into commuting now. Bu like you I like the comfort, it's what the Omega was meant for.  :y

I highly suspect the quality of GM shocks not worth it any more, given what we've seen over the years on a drop in quality.

It's difficult to say because I drive it every day and changes are perhaps imperceptible.

But yes I think it has got worse. I've gone over some pot holes and been like "shiiiiiiiit" lol

My parts supplier can get me bilstein rear shocks. And I'll prob get kyb rear springs. And something similar to the front I suppose  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 September 2017, 18:01:45 »

I had a similar dilemma last year ,but as I use my car daily doing over 100miles most days for me the decision was based on me keeping or getting rid of the car.

All in I replaced all front suspension and steering parts excluding center tie bar and steering idler(the later being replaced some days ago now).Replaced all rear shocks/springs donut bushes along with rear track rods.

Think the total was around the £600 mark all in but the last years driving experience has been worth it and sure it will see me through another couple of years or until the car becomes financially unviable to repair.

Thanks Amba. Mines with me for as long as possible so I may do a bit at a time until it's all done  :y :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 September 2017, 18:02:07 »

Should add I fitted Sachs front shocks with Leforrd springs.Lemforder whishbones/poly bushed along with Lemforder TRE and droplinks.

Back had Sachs shocks and springs std ,lemforder donuts and track rods

Ride is now very comfy and imagine its very close to how it would of felt when new from Factory albeit no self levelling

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 September 2017, 18:02:53 »

It's difficult to say because I drive it every day and changes are perhaps imperceptible.

But yes I think it has got worse. I've gone over some pot holes and been like "shiiiiiiiit" lol

My parts supplier can get me bilstein rear shocks. And I'll prob get kyb rear springs. And something similar to the front I suppose  :y

The B4's get fitted a lot here, I think they are closer to orginal MV6, with B6/B8's being far to stiff. Elite always was softer, not sure if there is an aftermarket choice now.

I'd personally go Boge/Sachs, I fitted KYB to the 2.2, rusted and snapped within couple of years. Bone ones 6 years old on 3.2, still look good

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 September 2017, 18:04:30 »

I tried B4s rear shocks and only had them fitted for around 1 week...found them too hard and made back end jump around .
Still have them in the store cupboard collecting dust as wasn't that impressed with them  :(

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 September 2017, 18:13:45 »

I tried B4s rear shocks and only had them fitted for around 1 week...found them too hard and made back end jump around .
Still have them in the store cupboard collecting dust as wasn't that impressed with them  :(

Good feedback thanks, I always considered getting them. Will stick to Sachs  :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 September 2017, 18:19:55 »

Looking back through my servicing notes, I commented to myself that I didn't like the tails on a set of BOGE springs I put on the TD, and said I would seek alternatives next time. HTH :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 September 2017, 18:28:26 »

Had similar with various Omega's, if it's first time round I just replace the lot, shocks with B4's, springs with Eibach (or MV6 if you need more ride height), wishbones with Lemforder with the front bushes changed for Powerflex poly's, droplinks with Meyle HD and rear donuts with Peddars Monaro items. Worth dismantling the top mount bearings and cleaning and re-greasing or buying new and possible top mounts as well (I have yet to try poly topmounts but heard good things.

Obviously the above is pretty much everything, but the benefit of doing everything is you only need to get the Geo done once. I've always planned to keep the car so not fussed about throwing some money at it.

You may not like the slightly lower stiffer setup but have to say I like the above setup and the car still feels nice to drive when not pressing on.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2017, 19:14:52 »

Cheers for the input boys  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2017, 19:33:21 »

TBE has always been a bit crashy as well, in addition to generally being high strung on handling.  It not has the Silver Bullet's suspension on it, and the bullet was scrapped with all TBE's Irmscher shocks/springs (cheers for help with this chrisgixer, and double cheers for doing it solo on the next day, when I bowed out disgracefully  :-[), which has helped dramatically. But its still a bit crashy and highly strung.

Going by reports from Mrs TB, I suspect the front rearward bushes have failed again, but don't thing that's the complete answer.

The Silver Bullet in comparison never suffered that, and the only time the handling went wayward was every time it broke a spring.

Not idea why.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2017, 19:35:39 »

For my money, B4's are the best shocks to fit to Omegas. Probably marginally stiffer than a brand new GM shock (but barely noticeable), but much more durable.

If I was buying new shocks for TBE right now, Billy B4 would be the only choice.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2017, 19:37:44 »

And for completeness, for most I'd suggest Sach Boge springs.  Similar to GM, much cheaper.

I have always had an odd spring setup on mine in order to make the normally understeer happy Omega turn in a bit better.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.