Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RANT - PC Cases  (Read 1594 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
RANT - PC Cases
« on: 30 September 2017, 17:24:03 »

Looking for a new case, Idealy with a hot swat SSD

Thing is that all the cases I like dont have 5.25 drive bays any more.  I must be old fashioned because I still want to fit my DVD/RW an BR/RW in my case (even though I dont use them.

So thinking smart, I went looking for external cases for the Optical drives. . . . . . . Now looking at the Vodka bottle in the corner as I give up. :(
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: RANT - PC Cases
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2017, 19:57:53 »

Plenty of cases out there that will do all but depends how much you want to spend.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2017, 20:19:00 »

Finally found a site that lists all cases with 5.25 drive bays :), sadly it does not mention hot swapable SSD bays. :(

Been looking at the Thermaltake tempered glass range, in particular one that will stand and lay down. :y

Starting to look at parts for an upgrade, due to issues the last few weeks its time to upgrade, I allready have a decent power suppy and graphics card.  Plus I have had the current system now for 4 or 5 years (not like me at all)

The case is the next upgrade as I now have a 2nd system. (Due  to a cock up purchasing parts trying to fix a problem.) >:(

But with the Coffe lake Intel being relaesed this month and AMD Ryzen allready available then next year maybe will take the jump and upgrade properly....

I dont mind spending £200/250 for the right case.

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2017, 11:17:36 »

Finally found a site that lists all cases with 5.25 drive bays :), sadly it does not mention hot swapable SSD bays. :(

Been looking at the Thermaltake tempered glass range, in particular one that will stand and lay down. :y

Starting to look at parts for an upgrade, due to issues the last few weeks its time to upgrade, I allready have a decent power suppy and graphics card.  Plus I have had the current system now for 4 or 5 years (not like me at all)

The case is the next upgrade as I now have a 2nd system. (Due  to a cock up purchasing parts trying to fix a problem.) >:(

But with the Coffe lake Intel being relaesed this month and AMD Ryzen allready available then next year maybe will take the jump and upgrade properly....

I dont mind spending £200/250 for the right case.

I have a NZXT Phantom 820 and it has four 5.25" drive bays and six 3.5" drive bays but I don`t think the SSD`s are hot swapable.

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2017, 11:53:08 »

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2017, 12:54:50 »

I very, very, very much doubt the SSD's you'll be using support hot swap.  Or, coming to that, the disk controller. That sort of stuff is very real money.

I've been saying for probably the past 15yrs, unless you need something very specific, self build is no longer the way to go. Costs more and is always noisier, more power hungry and normally slower (although most OEM Windows builds are a bit crap due to all the extras they get paid to slap on).

And to prove that I put my money where my mouth is, I'm typing this on my 10yr old Dell Dimension 9200 (that I have no real intention of replacing as its plenty quick enough, and faster than most self builds I've had thrown at me for fixing), whilst the Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF is playing around with the 3d printer behind me.

If a machine is for gaming, I'd normally recommend an Xbox One or PS4 nowadays.
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2017, 17:14:38 »

The pc I built about 3 years ago, is suppose to be hot swappable on its disks, but then the motherboard does have a raid controller built into it. I have a fast 500G boot disk that has all system stuff and programs installed on it, and then 2 x 1G disks configured as raid 1.
In theory I could rip out one of the raid 1 disks and replace it with the pc running and the raid controller will rebuild it.
The pc does run raid controller software as well.
Tho if the raid controller software told me of a problem with one of the raid disks, I would probably power it down to swap the disk.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2017, 18:04:11 »

If a machine is for gaming, I'd normally recommend an Xbox One or PS4 nowadays.

You can`t play Player Unknown Battlegrounds on Xbox or PS4  ;)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2017, 20:26:38 »

https://www.ebuyer.com/584020-cooler-master-cm-storm-trooper-case-with-window-sgc-5000-kwn1

I need the ability to plus SSD drive in the case to save me swapping dives.

I allready have a 2.5″ 3.5″ Dual Hard Drive HDD Docking Station USB Dock Card Reader IDE SATA HUB but it gather up dust and takes up space.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2017, 22:11:16 »

The pc I built about 3 years ago, is suppose to be hot swappable on its disks, but then the motherboard does have a raid controller built into it. I have a fast 500G boot disk that has all system stuff and programs installed on it, and then 2 x 1G disks configured as raid 1.
In theory I could rip out one of the raid 1 disks and replace it with the pc running and the raid controller will rebuild it.
The pc does run raid controller software as well.
Tho if the raid controller software told me of a problem with one of the raid disks, I would probably power it down to swap the disk.
The drives need the hardware and firmware to be hotswappable, and consumer drives don't.  For that same reason, most consumer disk controllers aren't either, generally speaking
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 October 2017, 22:12:20 »

https://www.ebuyer.com/584020-cooler-master-cm-storm-trooper-case-with-window-sgc-5000-kwn1

I need the ability to plus SSD drive in the case to save me swapping dives.

I allready have a 2.5″ 3.5″ Dual Hard Drive HDD Docking Station USB Dock Card Reader IDE SATA HUB but it gather up dust and takes up space.
Ah, that's not hot swap ;).
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.