Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What drives folk to do this sort of thing ??  (Read 6891 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
What drives folk to do this sort of thing ??
« on: 02 October 2017, 12:41:57 »

I cannot get my head around what would drive someone do do this ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41466116

I've never understood "mental illness" but I "assume" the gunman was "not of sound mind", even though, from the reports of the arsenal of weapons he had with him it was a "planned" (by him) attack ...

Heart goes out to the victims, and to the Gun Lobby and American politicians... fo gods sake do something about guns in America ... Amendments to Constitutions mean nowt compared to human lives .. :(

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: What drives folk to do this sort of thing ??
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2017, 12:55:26 »

I've never understood "mental illness" but I "assume" the gunman was "not of sound mind", even though, from the reports of the arsenal of weapons he had with him it was a "planned" (by him) attack ...

Heart goes out to the victims, and to the Gun Lobby and American politicians... fo gods sake do something about guns in America ... Amendments to Constitutions mean nowt compared to human lives .. :(
Its going to be a looong time before the Americans give up there Guns.

The US Police need to calm down as well, heres an interesting fact, on average the US Police shoot and kill more people over a 24 Day period than the UK Police in 24 Years.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2017, 12:57:35 »

That is what it needs.  But what will it take to make the purchase of weapons as difficult in the US as it is here?  It is a cultural thing, instilled in the American mind from birth and supported, as you rightly mention, by that dreadful Second Amendment that was designed for a completely different age.

As for the classification of "mental illness" being so often applied to these cases, it does nothing to help the victims and relatives; that is who should count.  Hitler had a mental illness, but who would give him any sympathy? No, these people do what they do due to an evil within them and they should be made to pay the price.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2017, 13:02:48 »

Its going to be a looong time before the Americans give up there Guns.

The US Police need to calm down as well, heres an interesting fact, on average the US Police shoot and kill more people over a 24 Day period than the UK Police in 24 Years.

That is because the police know that with almost every car stopped, or person apprehended in the street, a gun will feature in the situation.  The police have to protect themselves from what the Second Amendment gives "the right" to.  I wouldn't ever want to be a cop in the US!

I have googled a question on how many cops die in the US, and this is what is stated for 2016:
"Overall, including traffic fatalities and other causes, 135 police officers died in the line of duty in 2016, NLEOMF says. That's 10 percent more than died last year, and the largest tally since 2011, when 177 officers died — 73 of them in firearms-related incidents.30 Dec 2016" :'( :'( :'(

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2017, 13:18:35 »

Lizzie, "culture" and "Americans" in the same sentence? That defines oxymoron, yes?
Trouble is, they all think they are John Wayne..... ::)

Ron.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2017, 13:43:36 »

America/ guns /stupidity

Awful for those involved. NOTHING will change after today.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2017, 13:45:59 »

to the Gun Lobby and American politicians... fo gods sake do something about guns in America ...

I read somewhere (can't recall where, now) that the weapon in use was in fact already a banned weapon in the US.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2017, 14:22:02 »

to the Gun Lobby and American politicians... fo gods sake do something about guns in America ...

I read somewhere (can't recall where, now) that the weapon in use was in fact already a banned weapon in the US.
At last, some sense :y

Given the remoteness of some parts of North America, and the number of actual predators living there, having an appropriate gun and the ability to use it is essential to survival... both in terms of gathering food and defence.

The key word being appropriate... arguably a hollow tipped 9mm round in a semi automatic hand gun could never be considered appropriate, and anything capable of holding more than ten rounds should be outlawed, even in the least salubrious areas.

Removing the right to bear arms from the Constitution will never happen, however, with some careful lobbying, the word 'Appropriate' could be readily added.

Ultimately though, it is down to individual States to interpret the Constitution as each see fit, hence the lack of progress from the Anti gun lobby ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 October 2017, 16:14:39 »

At last, some sense :y

Given the remoteness of some parts of North America, and the number of actual predators living there, having an appropriate gun and the ability to use it is essential to survival... both in terms of gathering food and defence.

The key word being appropriate... arguably a hollow tipped 9mm round in a semi automatic hand gun could never be considered appropriate, and anything capable of holding more than ten rounds should be outlawed, even in the least salubrious areas.

Removing the right to bear arms from the Constitution will never happen, however, with some careful lobbying, the word 'Appropriate' could be readily added.

Ultimately though, it is down to individual States to interpret the Constitution as each see fit, hence the lack of progress from the Anti gun lobby ;)

The population of the USA is estimated at 323 million, and of those 81% live in urban environments.

Now I understand what you are saying DG, and you are right, in the wildest and most remote parts of the States they need guns.  But, they do not need assault rifles, which are illegal in most States if you can truly define such a weapon, along with any weapon beyond a hand gun in the urban areas. Have you physically seen the weapons a US citizen can buy legally? I have and it is frightening.

As you say "appropriateness" is the crucial factor, but America really must at least start to outlaw the "non-appropriate" weapons now, even though the opposition is severe. But these gun related incidents cannot continue and in fact get worse in a so called civilized society.  The Law should allow however for the citizens of the wildest, most thinly populated States, to carry appropriate weapons for self defence. ;)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 16:23:30 by Lizzie Zoom »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2017, 16:22:01 »

Zoo-keepers manage perfectly well with anaesthetic darts.

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2017, 16:26:08 »

Zoo-keepers manage perfectly well with anaesthetic darts.

Ron.

Only if the animal is not charging towards you and is behind fencing Ron.  Any escaped wild animal like a big cat is shot if it represents a danger to humans, as are rampaging dogs who are shot by our police. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2017, 16:41:08 »

Have you physically seen the weapons a US citizen can buy legally? I have and it is frightening.....

Many many years ago ...... a few of us were sat in a fast food place in America, when these 2 coppers came in & sat at the table next to us. One removed his gun & put it on the table in front of him. I thought Dirty Harry had sat down. No idea what kind of gun it was but it was HUGE!! As was the copper  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2017, 16:55:41 »

Yep. JohnWayne-itis; clearly a rampant disease over there.  :(

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2017, 17:54:09 »

Have you physically seen the weapons a US citizen can buy legally? I have and it is frightening.....

Many many years ago ...... a few of us were sat in a fast food place in America, when these 2 coppers came in & sat at the table next to us. One removed his gun & put it on the table in front of him. I thought Dirty Harry had sat down. No idea what kind of gun it was but it was HUGE!! As was the copper  ;D

Probably a Magnum! :D :D ;)

I understand nowadays their handguns are often Glocks ;)
« Last Edit: 02 October 2017, 17:57:34 by Lizzie Zoom »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2017, 18:21:05 »

Would it sound insensitive if I said the world was over populated?

:P
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.