Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Music . . . . . anything about it really  (Read 9668 times)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
Music . . . . . anything about it really
« on: 03 October 2017, 19:54:19 »

Seeing as the "Dead Person" thread has extended into a general music discussion (IE: Fings Ain't Wot They Used To Be) . . . . I've started this one . . .

Me ? I was a teenager in the 60's, but too young for the "swinging 60's". So Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Small Faces etc, then on to Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple. Today I listen to loads of stuff but with a strong leaning to Heavy Rock and even Metal.

My starter for one . . . . .  a 360 degree video, so click and drag to look behind you . . . Oh, play full screen and loud

360 Degree, Play Full Screen

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Music . . . . . anything about it really
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2017, 20:25:27 »

I remember the days when us teenagers where being shoveled what the adults of the time (1950s) wanted, nothing we could identify with.  Then, bang, it happened from the late 1950's; music for teenagers by teenagers, or at least those in their early twenties.  Before it had been Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Como, etc., then it was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Holly, and THE BEATLES!! :-* :-* :-* :-*

No longer did us teenagers only have the BBC Light Service to listen to, we had our own (pirate) radio stations, Luxembourg, then Radio 1 playing all our great contemporary music.   ;)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2017, 21:10:14 »

I remember the days when us teenagers where being shoveled what the adults of the time (1950s) wanted, nothing we could identify with.  Then, bang, it happened from the late 1950's; music for teenagers by teenagers, or at least those in their early twenties.  Before it had been Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Como, etc., then it was Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, Holly, and THE BEATLES!! :-* :-* :-* :-*

No longer did us teenagers only have the BBC Light Service to listen to, we had our own (pirate) radio stations, Luxembourg, then Radio 1 playing all our great contemporary music.   ;)

. . . and of course Radio Caroline a bit later. Radio 1 was always a bit "safe" (unless you were with a certain Mr Saville   >:(  )

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2017, 22:29:51 »

. . . and of course Radio Caroline a bit later. Radio 1 was always a bit "safe" (unless you were with a certain Mr Saville   >:(  )

Radio Caroline was one of the pirate stations I was referring to, along with Radio London, the most famous two, and started life in 1964 before Radio 1 in 1967. ;)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2017, 22:47:14 »

I loved Radio9 Luxemburg (208 MW), despite its frequent signal fades; the music was great for a teenager like me and the presenters were fairly sane, too!
Oh er, it must have been my granddad who told me about it..... :-[

Ron.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2017, 23:28:47 »

Probably major influences on my musical awareness was John Peel and Alexis Korner, Sunday afternoon on Radio 1 if I remember correctly, played stuff that was actually interesting and good.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2017, 00:00:05 »

I shall refrain from posting on this thread as its late in the evening.
I may post on it tomorrow, and it may be a very long post. Maybe more of an autobiographical essay.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2017, 07:36:55 »

Radio Luxembourg was a laugh/damned annoying with the way the signal used to fade in and out,didn't stop me listening to it fade and all!! I also recall that there was a petition[whether just local or more widespread I don't know]to keep Radio Caroline and stop Radio 1 before it even aired.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2017, 10:21:27 »

Seeing as the "Dead Person" thread has extended into a general music discussion (IE: Fings Ain't Wot They Used To Be) . . . . I've started this one . . .

Me ? I was a teenager in the 60's, but too young for the "swinging 60's". So Stones, Beatles, Kinks, Small Faces etc, then on to Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple. Today I listen to loads of stuff but with a strong leaning to Heavy Rock and even Metal.

My starter for one . . . . .  a 360 degree video, so click and drag to look behind you . . . Oh, play full screen and loud

360 Degree, Play Full Screen

Nice one Mister Rog,

I grew up listening to Deep Purple, Rainbow and Whitesnake courtesy of my parents and now I listen to mainly Metal and American punk with the likes of Rise Against, Less Than Jake, Against Me, H2O and many many more and the metal stuff goes from Judas Priest right thought to new bands like, Like A Storm and with a few oddities thrown in like Hollywood Undead.

One of my favourite bands though is Volbeat from Denmark, and I have seen them twice now over there, here is a classic by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mV_HHL-h6g

You will probably like it  :y

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2017, 10:30:55 »

Nice one Mister Rog,

I grew up listening to Deep Purple, Rainbow and Whitesnake courtesy of my parents and now I listen to mainly Metal and American punk with the likes of Rise Against, Less Than Jake, Against Me, H2O and many many more and the metal stuff goes from Judas Priest right thought to new bands like, Like A Storm and with a few oddities thrown in like Hollywood Undead.

One of my favourite bands though is Volbeat from Denmark, and I have seen them twice now over there, here is a classic by them.

Great stuff  :y              That drumming is impressive !

I've seen Volbeat but not in a small venue, just festivals, so not as good

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2017, 12:13:24 »

Nice one Mister Rog,

That is a great performance :y :y

But, this is impressive drumming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VNOw1JASM

Stay with it and you will witness Ginger Baker performing his Toad solo with Cream :D :D ;)

I "found" Cream in 1967 with the purchase of their Disraeli Gears album in 1967, and this helped as the Beatles faded after 1970. After that it was Led Zeppelin all the way!! :D :D ;)

« Last Edit: 04 October 2017, 12:29:21 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2017, 12:29:48 »

Nice one Mister Rog,

Stay with it and you will witness Ginger Baker performing his Toad solo with Cream :D :D ;)

I "found" Cream in 1967 with the purchase of their Disraeli Gears album in 1967, and this helped as the Beatles faded after 1970. After that it was Led Zeppelin all the way!! :D :D ;)

« Last Edit: 04 October 2017, 12:31:34 by Lizzie Zoom »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2017, 12:32:12 »

After that there was........................silence, oh apart from the Eagles! :)

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2017, 14:19:44 »

What a pity cameramen and/or directors of music film/video in those days were such pratts. Tyring to hard to be "creative" instead of just showing the act.

Ginger was a drumming landmark, I saw Cream a couple of times, notably the final concert at the Albert Hall, but times move on. The main roles of a drummer is firstly to keep time, secondly to "drive" a song along, and thirdly to keep a song interesting with occasional odd beats etc, and of course to play with the rest of the band.

I could start reciting a list of great and influential drummers, just a few of note Cozy Powell, John Bonham. Ian Paiste for a kick off, and from the current generation Dave Turncrantz. I'm teaching myself drums, my aim is to form a band "Mister Rog & The Zimmer Frames" !

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2017, 14:27:12 »

What a pity cameramen and/or directors of music film/video in those days were such pratts. Tyring to hard to be "creative" instead of just showing the act.

Ginger was a drumming landmark, I saw Cream a couple of times, notably the final concert at the Albert Hall, but times move on. The main roles of a drummer is firstly to keep time, secondly to "drive" a song along, and thirdly to keep a song interesting with occasional odd beats etc, and of course to play with the rest of the band.

I could start reciting a list of great and influential drummers, just a few of note Cozy Powell, John Bonham. Ian Paiste for a kick off, and from the current generation Dave Turncrantz. I'm teaching myself drums, my aim is to form a band "Mister Rog & The Zimmer Frames" !

How true that is, as then it was the "trend" to be arty farty with camera work and many films and TV programmes were ruined by it, as is this film that cannot be repeated. :'( :'(

I am jealous Mr Rog as I never got to see Cream live and just wish I could have done! :'( :'(

;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.