Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some Cat5/6 cable ......  (Read 1903 times)

Lincs Robert

Need some Cat5/6 cable ......
« on: 16 October 2017, 14:52:44 »

I need about 50 metres for a project. Don’t need to buy a whole drum and my obvious source for a 50 metre length is eBay - but am wary of rubbish being sold.

Any idea where I could get some. It doesn’t need to be external grade as just running through my roof space.

Cheers

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Need some Cat5/6 cable ......
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2017, 16:02:41 »

I need about 50 metres for a project. Don’t need to buy a whole drum and my obvious source for a 50 metre length is eBay - but am wary of rubbish being sold.

Any idea where I could get some. It doesn’t need to be external grade as just running through my roof space.

Cheers

Needing 50m it will probably be cheaper to buy a 100m roll from a local trade outlet. At my local trade supplier cat5 is £22.50 + vat & cat6 £37.50 + vat.
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2017, 16:19:08 »

Yep, it's always useful stuff to have so just buy a 100M drum. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lincs Robert

« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2017, 16:51:21 »

I guess at those prices you are talking CCA rather than pure copper?

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2017, 17:18:07 »

What you upto Rob ?

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 October 2017, 17:26:34 »

Try screwfix. Sell both i think :y

Lincs Robert

« Reply #6 on: 16 October 2017, 17:57:18 »

What you upto Rob ?

I’m getting an upgrade to my solar PV inverter. The new box can go on line so I’m giving it a proper network socket in the attic rather than using Wi-fi. I’m sure the Wi-fi would work ok, but it’s going to be in for a long time & deserves a wired connection. IMHO - Wi-fi should only really be used for handheld devices & anything else should be wired if at all possible.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 October 2017, 18:00:21 »

You might find a standard 305m drum is as cheap, due to being the most popular.

For Cat5(e), be aware of the cheap shit. As its cheap shit. And fails quickly.

Also be aware of what you are using it for, and especially what sort of connectors you want to connect to it - basically 2 types, infrastructure and patch lead. Infrastructure is solid cores, patch is multi strand for flexibility.  You will find a patch multi strand will not reliably punch down on a connector designed for infrastructure, and vice versa.

Cat6 - you probably want to get someone in, or buy the exact length premade, if you are planning on running 10GE over it. If you're never going above 1gps, stick to Cat5e on cost grounds, and the fact its easily DIY'able.

Lastly, this is all assuming you are 100% internal. If going external, you need proper external variants. If going high on a building, you will need STP and maybe a lightning arrestor.
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #8 on: 16 October 2017, 18:27:58 »

You might find a standard 305m drum is as cheap, due to being the most popular.

For Cat5(e), be aware of the cheap shit. As its cheap shit. And fails quickly.

Also be aware of what you are using it for, and especially what sort of connectors you want to connect to it - basically 2 types, infrastructure and patch lead. Infrastructure is solid cores, patch is multi strand for flexibility.  You will find a patch multi strand will not reliably punch down on a connector designed for infrastructure, and vice versa.

Cat6 - you probably want to get someone in, or buy the exact length premade, if you are planning on running 10GE over it. If you're never going above 1gps, stick to Cat5e on cost grounds, and the fact its easily DIY'able.

Lastly, this is all assuming you are 100% internal. If going external, you need proper external variants. If going high on a building, you will need STP and maybe a lightning arrestor.

Thanks. This project is all indoors. I did have a 305m box years ago but house moves saw that vanish & there is hardly any left, date code says 2004! I know about solid/stranded. I just checked what I’d been using & it’s solid.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2017, 10:57:17 »

Ive got some 305 meter boxes kicking around, it will be 5e LSF (the purple stuff) not sure if Ive got 50m of it in one lump though, will have to have a look and report back, probably got 5e external stuff kicking around somewhere as well.

I would also have a remeasure on your run as you normally always end up using more than you think your going to need.  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2017, 11:16:10 »

BTW, pretty much all structured cabling will be solid, the stranded is used for patch leads, pre determined lengths, or special requirements etc.

Off the top of my head last boxes of 305m Excel 5e LSF or LS0H came in at around 38 quid each plus vat from my supplier.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2017, 11:31:34 by zirk »

Lincs Robert

« Reply #11 on: 17 October 2017, 12:23:51 »

Thanks all, I’ve got a suitable offcut from a local pal. As always, on measuring the exact length of the run it comes in at 11metres, plus a bit extra for the vertical bit, termination etc.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 October 2017, 15:33:03 »

Sounds like your sorted, I thought you were after about 50m, certainly got 10 - 15m meter chunks kicking around so if you do get stuck for more give me a shout.  ;)

Lincs Robert

« Reply #13 on: 17 October 2017, 17:56:14 »

Sounds like your sorted, I thought you were after about 50m, certainly got 10 - 15m meter chunks kicking around so if you do get stuck for more give me a shout.  ;)

Cheers - much appreciated

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 October 2017, 19:18:47 »

Thanks all, I’ve got a suitable offcut from a local pal. As always, on measuring the exact length of the run it comes in at 11metres, plus a bit extra for the vertical bit, termination etc.
I was going to say, 50m is a fikkin long way ;D.  Even in our biggest data halls we'd struggle for a run to be longer than 30-40m :o
Grumpy old man

Lincs Robert

« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2017, 19:26:11 »

I was going to say, 50m is a fikkin long way ;D.  Even in our biggest data halls we'd struggle for a run to be longer than 30-40m :o

You know what us blokes are like about over-estimating the length of things! Seriously, I should have said that I need to do 2 runs, so need to double the cable length.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.